Favorite hook size? I'm an "H".

boo1

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a single favorite...but I lean towards the larger ones like J, K, L, M, N and P. I like to work with 2 or 3 strands and a large hook.

My L-P are plastic and I don't like how they squeak, but I just purchased some bamboo ones (except the P :() on ebay...can't wait 'til they get here! :cheer

I don't have a problem with any cramping from using the hooks like some have mentioned....if anything it's my right hand (I crochet left-handed) that gets sore from holding my work, the left hand just holds the hook...maybe I do it differently than most? :think

Teresa

Been loving the P lately. I've become obsessed with bulky mohair blends and mohair-like acrylics lately. Such lovely, lacey (not to mention quick!) things. I need to find a new Q, the one I have is too long and gets in my way.

Alice :hook

I'm an "I" person myself. :2rock

I find if I crochet with smaller hooks, my hands cramp up. I'm a loose crocheter and working with smaller hooks seems almost unnatural to me because I have to work harder to keep the stitches tighter. :lol

Cheryl.

F G & 7 for me. In fact I have used my F so much (it is a blue aluminum Bates) that the blue color is worn off where I hold it!!! But I do use I also. I would use the H more, but it is a boye and I prefer Bates so I wind up using the I Bates hook.

I loved reading thru the responses in this topic. Like some others, I have sentimental reasons for saying that the "G" is my favorite hook. My Mom's best friend taught me to crochet. She was a very kind and patient and woman. And she only crocheted with a G hook. She would tell me "G"s were the best..lol. So naturally, for years, I believed that. She also worked with a tight tension, and I mimic her in that too. Which is probably why my right arm aches at times. I must have close to 100 crochet hooks. What? They look pretty in their own little basket in my work area! And I really hate it when people ask, how many hooks do you need? It's not about need, it's about wanting them. At least 40 of my hooks must be G's. In the past few years, I've tried going up a size or two, so at the moment, I crochet with H's and I's too. I must admit, my arm aches a lot less when I use the bigger hooks. However, everytime I pick up G, or even see my special G's, I think of my Aunt Adeline, and what a special part of my life she was, and since I lost her so long ago, I know I'll never part with my G's.

Terry

Archived