Curling of foundation rows

tita

Question

Hi there:) I have a question for all my hooker friends. Is it unusual for the foundation row and subsequent rows to curl? Mine do and I'm wondering if this is the result of me doing something absolutely wrong or if this is a natural phenomenon?!:think

17 answers to this question

I am in desperate need of some advice. I saw a simple afghan pattern on line for a striped afghan. Very simple. Foundation row......double crochet, ch1, skip 4, etc...you change colors every row.......the finished product had a very cute look to it.....but I'm doing something wrong. I always make my foundation chain row with a larger hook and then work my first row rather loosely, then I downsize by a hook size and resume my normal tension. But this foundation row seems way too tight. It's just not giving at all, and I've completed about 15 rows, and the rows have a bit of a wave to them..............my Mom suggested adding another row on to the foundation row, but this didn't really seem to help. Stupid question, I guess there is no way to rip out the foundation row without ripping out the whole thing is there? Do you think if I keep going it'll eventually straighten out?

Thanks so much for all the great advice I get here!

Terry

I get the same thing sometimes, and I think it is a matter of my tension being too tight ... starting out just a fraction looser helps....then you can go with your usual style of crocheting.

Thanks so much for all the great tips! I started yet another 'simple striped' afghan. And this time things seem to be going better. But when I turn it upside down and hold it by the foundation row.......I can see that the row is too tight.....yet I worked it very loosely. I see now that I'm about 30 rows into it, that it has straightened out nicely, but I think when I'm done I'll add a single crochet border around the whole thing which might alleviate that problem. Thanks again! I love Crochetville! It's like having my own private crochet tutor!

Terry

How's your gauge? If you crochet tightly, you may have problems with curling - just a thought - I crochet loose so don't generally run into this in crochet - now, knitting, where I'm not so confident & my stitches run tight, my work has a tendency to curl, even when I'm not doing patterns where that's normally a problem.

I think it will be annoying for a bit during the start of your project, but it doesn't sound like anything blocking wouldn't fix. The weight once you piece it together will make a difference too.

My afghans usually straighten out at around row 8 to 10.

1. Sometimes my work 'curls' in the beginning, that's because as long as your stitches have even tension, you are making a 'straight' object using a 'round' tool and making 'round' loops. It'll straighten out.

2. Unless your project call for a switch in hook size, use the same one throughout the project.

3. If your work gets 'smaller' as you go along, your fountation chain is too loose and your 'work stitches' are too tight.

4. If your work gets 'bigger' as you go along, your foundation chain is too tight and your 'work stitches' are too loose.

5. Don't think about how your results looked like before, just relax your arms and hands and make a foundation chain without over-thinking it. When you make a chain your hands should feel comfortable, not angry (mine do that too sometimes!)

6. It may be that you're not working the correct amount of turning chains at the end of each row. If the next row starts with sc, then chain 1. If it starts with hdc, then chain 2. If it starts with dc, then chain 3 (some people also do ch 2 for dc). If it starts with tr, then chain 4, and if it starts with dtr, then chain 5.

Hope this helps!!!

Nathalie

I crochet my beginning chain very loosely (without meaning to) and I get curling almost with every project that has a long straight run of sc, hdc, or dc. It always seems to work out in the end so I don't worry about it while I am doing the project.

I think it has more to do with how I hold the project while I work - in my sewing days, I could make a seam curl on purpose by pulling in a certain way as it was sewn. My crochet fabric tends to roll over my thumb creating the same effect as with sewing.

Like I said, not a problem so I don't plan to re-learn everything to avoid it.

Hi there:) I have a question for all my hooker friends. Is it unusual for the foundation row and subsequent rows to curl? Mine do and I'm wondering if this is the result of me doing something absolutely wrong or if this is a natural phenomenon?!:think

With me ~ the longer the chain the more curl I get and it always works out for me. I also have the corner-curling problem with everything! But it all works out.

No, you can't rip out the foundation row, but since it's an afghan maybe you can fudge it a bit. Depending on the pattern, after you are done, add a fringe, or add a border around it of either plain sc, dc, or a shell stitch, or a fancier 'lacy' edge.

Try making your foundation change with a hook 1 size larger, then switching to the correct hook size. Also, I find that counting, counting, counting, always helps to make sure you've got the right number of stitches in each row.

Just in case! :)

Try making your foundation change with a hook 1 size larger, then switching to the correct hook size. Also, I find that counting, counting, counting, always helps to make sure you've got the right number of stitches in each row.

With that pattern, it should be lying completely flat, not spiraling or curling.

Are you counting your stitches at the end of every row to be sure you have not missed or added any? Is your foundation chain too tight? Did you perhaps twist the chain when you worked the first row?

Jean Leinhauser

Creative Partners

:think Yes, a picture of the piece or the pattern will be useful to figure it out. May be that's the way it should be because the following rows have more stitches.

Be careful, may be you are doing more stitches than necessary.:eek

I'm making the front top portion of a child's dress, the pattern reads as follows:

c/o 45

Row 1 Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch accross (44sc)

Rows 2-10 Ch1 turn, sc in each sc accross

It's simple but I'm getting a spiral like piece! I made the front and I'm now working the back. The front seems to curl at the edges but I think it'll flatten out when I piece it all together.

I just want to know if all crocheters get this or if it's just me:think

:cheer Is it going into a spiral?

Could be that your CH is too tight then your first row too loose. This could cause a spiral effect which may sort itself out after a few rows.

:think What sort of stitch are you doing?

If it is a pattern where you SK CH on the first row, maybe there is too many or not enough being SKed to keep it even.

Some more info and maybe a picture of the problem piece would help.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I am sc each row. I have completed 6 rows and it's curling :( It's the top, front part of a child's dress so I guess it'll straighten out once I piece it all together:shrug

:cheer Is it going into a spiral?

Could be that your CH is too tight then your first row too loose. This could cause a spiral effect which may sort itself out after a few rows.

:think What sort of stitch are you doing?

If it is a pattern where you SK CH on the first row, maybe there is too many or not enough being SKed to keep it even.

Some more info and maybe a picture of the problem piece would help.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived