^^^^Smoke Signals ^^^^^^^

JulieKay

Thought I'd post where I am so far....

th_crochet009.jpg

th_crochet008.jpg

I am 3 rows beyond this now. Am starting on the second part of the diamond. I am making the coat. DH walked by it on the bed and said, " Wow those colors are perfect!"

Wyatt, for the bottom border, I turned round and kept going. But for the rest you have to start a new row each time, because you are crocheting around the row underneath for the DC, so all the rows have to be RS's. Does that make sense??? I've kinda fudge a few things, but that part I did not.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm getting way too frustrated so I think i'm gonna head on over to the saloon and relax for a bit. I've started the first 5 rows twice and cant get it to end up right on round 6. I'm coming up short when it it says to end with 2 sc on round 6. I dont have enough stitches!!! Argh!!!!

plus i think i need to make mine a tad bit wider to fit over my big hips! *LOL*

wyatt

Thank you Wea,

for stepping in with your knowledge . I have none for the jacket, but it sounds like you have it figured out well.

Love the colors- very pretty.

I was gonna get a photo of mine today, but never got to it yet. It is so dark and rainy here today I doubt a photo would show well, since my colors are on the dark side.

Will hope for brighter days on the horizon .

Wea

Did you start with the number of stitches the pattern specifies or a different number ? I'm wondering where poor Wyatt is gettin stuck .

Can ya help him out with any pointers ?

Wyatt- if you head to the saloon, somethin tells me ya won't get much more done on it tonite .....................

Well hey there now everybody. Sounds like ya all gittin in there swing of things.

Julie I just one question for ya.

How do you start the row. I am on row 4 but starting the row in the knot is very confusing to me.

Wild Bill....I've changed my mind. I've decided ta stay in my bunk tonight and give it another whirl. I've just now ripped everything back out and now chained 84 stitches so I have 4 diamonds to fit over my big hips...er...I mean my six shooters! Yeah, thats a good description. Guess I'm gonna hafta cut back on those delicious apple pies i've been eatin' over at miss bess' place.

So, now back to work!

wyatt

Wyatt that is where I fudged it. I ripped mine out many times before I decided I'd have to go with my gut on it. I just kept looking at the pic, tried to find a bigger pic online, but stuck with small one. Looked at pic, figured out pattern visually and am doing it that way. My ends are a teeny bit uneven, but I'll straighten them up with the border. I've made lots of wearables, so I think that helps. Also it calls for a belt, but I think I'm gonna do buttons and I'm not sure about a collar yet. It goes pretty fast once you get the pattern down.

So put down that sasperilla and get back on the horse!!!

Wea, when you first start round 6 and it says 2 SC, your not putting the 2 SC's in the same stitch are you? Maybe thats what your supposed to do and I'm not doing that. Hmmmm...now there's a thought. But if you do that, your increasing on each end and that doesn't sound right. Dernnit, now I'm cornfused fer sure! *LOL*

Wyatt

Okay went to get it. No I did start at first putting 2 sc in each stitch, but realized that didn't work. Oh I just remembered I had to scale back the 19 sc to 18, becasue the other end was not coming out right.

Are you followinng the 10-12 pattern or the 20w pattern?

I think doing that I was 1 stitch off, but figured I could work with that. Also starting a new row. I slipstitch in the knot, 1 chain stitch and then in next stitch I start the sc. Hope that helps

I'm enjoyin one more nite before I git down to workin on this here blanket. Am goin to enjoy a fine nite of cards :yes I'll git started on it tomorra.

Them there pictures are lookin good. Mine probably won't be as fancy schmancy as all thems. Probably won't be the dark western colors. I haven't checked my saddlebag yet today. Been workin away on another idear of a project.

Bill, I'm hopin you git some sunshine in the morn. I'm gittin some rain now good thang I pitched a tent before settlin down fer the night.

Do you think this blanket could work for multiple colors? I have several skeins of green and blue in various shades that I'd like to use up.

Belle I haven't started yet,have been out on the iron house riding today. (Harley)It was a nice day now i am sunburned and tired maybe tomorrow.Didn't do any calf roping just enjoying the ride.Take Care Starr

Okay. I'm now doing row 7 and I'm still messed up. It looks like for round 6 yur puttin' the first 2 SC in the SAME STITCH. Because otherwise when you get to round 7 you still dont have ENOUGH stitches to end th 3 SC' if you dont.

*Sigh* Now i'ma gitten a headache.

Wyatt

Well, Ah might's well put in mah two cents worth on this here issue. Ah'm usin the 10 - 12 pattern with 2 extry stitches on each side o' tha back an 1 extry stitch on each side o' the two fronts. Ah figured out that ya got ter have an off number o' stitches in order for the diamonds ter come out with points. Ah had ter play a bit with the beginnin' but if'n ya do a join an' a sc in the first sc it comes out right. Ah did do a mite o' a miscount on that there first row and had ter sneak an extry stitch in the last diamond ter make it come out right, but it don't show so tha's okay. Ah wrap that tail at the beginnin' right around ta the back and jest crochet over it 'til it's gone. When Ah'm gettin' near tha end o' tha row, Ah take tha tail from the las' row an' lay it on top o' the stitches an' just crochet over it an' it's hid. Takes a bit a gettin' used ter, but it do work.

Ah have a bit o' a problum with mah colors. That there cornmeal done sticks out like a bee sting on tha end er yer nose. It jus' don' go tha other colors a tall. Ah've done tried half a dozen colors a tryin' ter come up with sumthin' that'll work. Think Ah got er down two, but Ah just cain't make up mah mind which ter use. Got ter think on this sum more. Maybe mah sidekicks, Orrin er Tyrel can hep me out. Ah'll let ya know when Ah decide.

Ned- I just do a sc in the first stitch, not into the knot. Just count the stitches the first couple rows then make sure you have the exact same number as your starting chain. Once you get the first row going with the dc's ,then it is easy as pie after that, just pay attention and make sure not to skip the dc spots . As long as you do that, it'll work out fine for you .

For those doing the jacket, i wish I had more advice for you, but I havent done it, so am not experienced with it .

Amy-yep, you could use any color combos you want -- it'd look neat in anything really .

Will hop back in later on - :)

Well, after consultin' Orrin (John) and Tyrell (Kim) we desided that that there last color in is goin' ter be Medium Sage. Once't Ah git a bit more done Ah'll see if'n Ah can get the local pitcher taker ta take a pitcher of this here thang. Good luck ya'll.

Okey Dokey's cowboys and cowgirls. I've FINALLY figured out my problem. The pattern is written correctly I guess you could say, but really it isn't. Does that make sense? I figured not.

Where I was messing up was at the END! For anybody that interested, here's whats going on:

All the rows starting at Row 7 is making a 'half' diamond at the begging and then at the end. So for example when Row 7 says to end at 3 SC's, in order to do that you would complete from * to * all the way to the end but you would really end with 17 SC and 1 DC and THEN 3 SC's. You dont complete the full * to * directions. This is because at the end your only creating a 'half' diamond and not the full.

Does this make sense to anyone? If not, just try it and you'll see what I mean.

So far this is working for me and i'm doing okay.

Hope I didn't post these directions prematurely and end up messing someone up because it doesn't work out furthur into the pattern.

Later pardners!

Wyatt

Wyatt, you done get 'er figured out. Thas exactly what it is. Ah'm doin' tha same thing an' it's workin' out just fine fer me. Ah'm half way thru tha first pattern an' it's mighty purty.

Tell

Wyatt

Great job figerin it out. I knew you'd be able to do it, you always were known fer your smarts .

Tell, glad you named your pardners out there, tell Orrin and Tyrell we said a big howdy from out this way east of you all.

Well I looked in my saddle bag and came up with Hunter green, Delft blue and vallejo tan. I can't decide on any other colors yet. I don't have any black in my bag :(

Haven't thought much about it today. Me and Ole Dillan are making pickles :) yummy!!

Archived