embroidery charts for 1975 afghan stitch Bernat afghans

goldenwren

Question

I used to have 2 books of Bernat embroidered afghans, then gave them away in 1990 because I decided that I was tired of crocheting and also no longer had the time. Now, I have found these two books and want to do the afghans. However, the embroidery charts were not included in the books as they were too large. The four charts were from "Bernat Afghans Book #132." They were for (1) Toltec bird #3019-132, (2) Sunflower #2290-132 ,(3) Spring Bouquet #391-132, and (4) Danish Bell Pull #3008-132. As these charts were circa about 1975, I know that these charts may be unobtainable. I have already tried the Bernat company and they no longer carry the charts--especially as the company was sold after these books. A forum like this may be my last chance to find these charts. If anyone has or knows who may have any one or all four of these charts, I would be interested.

Thank you so much

Goldenwren

msbeverlyh@yahoo.com

7 answers to this question

I don't have them, but try ebay. There are TONS of "vintage" 1970s patterns on there all the time.

I know, b/c I keep buying them.

Even if they don't have the exact charts you are looking for, you might contact some of the sellers/shops that specialize in vintage to see if they have the charts w/o the books - they might be willing to sell them to you if they consider them unsaleable without the instructions or text.

I have the book in my hand "Bernat Handicrafter titled Bernat Afghans Contemporary and traditional styles no 132" it is copyright 1966 and does not contain the sunflower pattern you mentioned. However, [Admin Amy: removed email address]  says she has all 4 missing charts to this book and she lists the sunflower pattern as one she has. If you mail her, according to the site she will sell you a copy of the charts you want.

Edited by Amy
See admin note below for copyright issue explanation

Unfortunately, even though they are out of print, the charts are still under copyright protection. It would be copyright infringement for someone to make and distribute copies of them without permission from Bernat. This site cannot be party to that, so I have removed the email address of the person making the offer to make and sell copies of the charts.

If the person actually has permission from Bernat to make and sell copies, please send me a PM and let me know. Once I can verify they have permission, we'll be able to allow contact info to be posted again.

You are going to have to find an actual 'used book' somewhere and buy the actual hard copy. 

In the US, anything published before 1925 is no longer under copyright. 

Stuff published between then and 1978, which were under copyright at that time is under copyright protection for 95 years after the publish date. 

Stuff published between then and 1978, for which copyright had lapsed prior to 1978, remain under copyright protection until 2047.

Published after 1978, it's 70 years after the author's death.

• Like 1

I have what appears to be the complete patterns for this pack.  The yarn for the Toltec Bird afghan and quite a bit of it finished by my grandmother before she passed in 1976.  I just found it all, the yarn, the uncompleted afghan, the pattern book, all of it in a suitcase after my mother passed.  You are welcome to it.  I want it to find a happy home. 

Beth