Ming Tree - a skirt to crochet! (new photo - see post #21)

...and another thing.... YOU WERE IN RALEIGH NC AND I WASN'T INFORMED??????? ..if I were in Houston I would have Starbucks with you:angry

:blush oops :blush

Seriously, I was there maybe a total of 24 hours and I was in some place called "Devil's Research Triangle" or some such and pretty much flew in, did my thang, and flew out. The drive from the hotel to the studio was pretty though! You're very lucky to live there! :yes

:bounce

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Drew, I've started crocheting the Ming Tree Skirt and I can't find in the pattern directions how to do the drawstring.:think Are they in there and I'm not seeing them? (Wouldn't be the first time!:blush )

Thanks!:yes

Kim

Hi Drew, I've started crocheting the Ming Tree Skirt and I can't find in the pattern directions how to do the drawstring.:think Are they in there and I'm not seeing them? (Wouldn't be the first time!:blush )

Thanks!:yes

Kim

Hi Kim,

Chain until desired length. Fasten off; weave in ends. Weave drawstring in and out of top row of skirt. Add a flower to each end!

Sounds good, thanks! I thought that would be the way to do it but I haven't done one before so thought I'd ask. I'm making the skirt with Lion Brand Cotton Ease in Taupe (a dark taupe that is like a weathered brown). Since I'm a beginning crocheter, I didn't want to spend too much on the yarn. So far it's turning out really nice!! :cheer

Kim

Sounds good, thanks! I thought that would be the way to do it but I haven't done one before so thought I'd ask. I'm making the skirt with Lion Brand Cotton Ease in Taupe (a dark taupe that is like a weathered brown). Since I'm a beginning crocheter, I didn't want to spend too much on the yarn. So far it's turning out really nice!! :cheer

Kim

That sounds beautiful! What color with the flowers and branches be?

I haven't bought the ribbon for the branches and flowers yet....I was hoping to find something similar to the colors you used but didn't like the selection at our local Michael's or JoAnn's. I'll probably end up ordering something online. I guess I should probably try doing that this afternoon since I'm half way thru the skirt! :hook

Thanks! :yes

Kim

I haven't bought the ribbon for the branches and flowers yet....I was hoping to find something similar to the colors you used but didn't like the selection at our local Michael's or JoAnn's. I'll probably end up ordering something online. I guess I should probably try doing that this afternoon since I'm half way thru the skirt! :hook

Thanks! :yes

Kim

It's a fast project, isn't it? :woo

Very Fast, my favorite kind of project!:yay And honestly Drew, I'm thrilled with the way it's turning out. I ordered some Judi & Co ribbon yarn on Ebay today so when that arrives, I'll be able to finish. :clap

Kim

I'm really tempted to get the pattern. I was looking to see what yarn and ribbon was used, but I can't find where it says that. Could anyone tell me? Thank you!

Hi Em!

The yarn and ribbon I used is from Tilli Tomas. The skirt is a thick worsted weight, the ribbon is .5" wide and the flowers are worsted weight with glass beads spun in it. I think you could use any worsted weight yarn for the skirt and just adjust the size of the hook to meet gauge and it would work just fine.

Hopefully Kim will post a photo of hers when it's finished and we can see how it looks in Lion Brand Cotton Ease. (hint hint)

Hi Em!

The yarn and ribbon I used is from Tilli Tomas. The skirt is a thick worsted weight, the ribbon is .5" wide and the flowers are worsted weight with glass beads spun in it. I think you could use any worsted weight yarn for the skirt and just adjust the size of the hook to meet gauge and it would work just fine.

Hopefully Kim will post a photo of hers when it's finished and we can see how it looks in Lion Brand Cotton Ease. (hint hint)

I went looking at yarns today. Would Vanna's Choice work? It's a soft ww. I've never used it before, but it looked so pretty and soft... :D

Does the ribbon have to be a crochet ribbon? I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for. Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want to make sure it's with in my budget before I buy everything. Thanks!

I went looking at yarns today. Would Vanna's Choice work? It's a soft ww. I've never used it before, but it looked so pretty and soft... :D

Does the ribbon have to be a crochet ribbon? I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for. Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want to make sure it's with in my budget before I buy everything. Thanks!

Hi Em, I think it would be real pretty in the Vanna's Choice or something similar! I needed to make it affordable too so I went with the Cotton Ease. I wanted to get as close to the texture of Drew's yarn as I possibly could. The Cotton Ease isn't as bulky but it has the natural fiber look that I wanted. I ordered a more expensive ribbon yarn from Ebay for the flowers but I am going to use that on another project too so I was able to justify the cost. I don't have a ribbon yarn for the branches yet but I'm still looking. Now that I'm halfway thru making the skirt, I'm getting a better idea of what could work. The pattern is alot of fun to make and I think you can get real creative with the branches and flowers! I hope you make it too! :cheer

Drew, I'll definitely post pics when I get it finished! :yes

Kim

The ribbon used for the branches is 1/2 inch wide silk. You could substitute any fabric ribbon. In fact if you want to really personalize it you could get some fabric and cut it into 1/2 inch strips! Hmm, I'm liking that idea... :woo

I like that idea too Drew! I finished the skirt about an hour ago and I was bummed that I didn't have the ribbon yarn I ordered yet for the flowers. I have loads of fabric around here...I'm going to go and check to see if I have something that might work!:clap

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya Crochet Dude,

I just bought this pattern! I am so excited to make it. The pattern is beautiful!

I am also looking for suggestions on what to wear underneath. What is the model wearing (for both the halter style and skirt)?

Many thanks,

Lara

Hiya Crochet Dude,

I just bought this pattern! I am so excited to make it. The pattern is beautiful!

I am also looking for suggestions on what to wear underneath. What is the model wearing (for both the halter style and skirt)?

Many thanks,

Lara

Hi Lara,

Thank you!! :ty

The model that is wearing it as a halter dress is wearing a same color tank top and shorts. The one wearing the skirt is, well, let's just say she's feeling very "free" in those shots. That being said a pretty satin slip would look great underneath. You could even wear it over jeans which is very popular right now!

I can't wait to see your project; be sure to post pics!

Hi Lara,

Thank you!! :ty

The model that is wearing it as a halter dress is wearing a same color tank top and shorts. The one wearing the skirt is, well, let's just say she's feeling very "free" in those shots. That being said a pretty satin slip would look great underneath. You could even wear it over jeans which is very popular right now!

I can't wait to see your project; be sure to post pics!

Well, hopefully i can get it done by mid-Sept so I can at least wear it once this season, without freezing my butt off, literally. I'll post pics once I get moving!

Thanks again,

L

Archived