Crochet Carrying Bags?

I use the the grocery canvas tote bags that you can buy for 99cents at all the local and food stores in the area. You are supposed to bring them in when you shop so that you don't use plastic and they fill them with your groceries.

I love them because they all come in different colors and are a perfect size for most of my projects. Each project gets it's own tote w/color and since they are sturdy and have a handle I can just grab one and go.

I have a large wicker basket besides the couch for big projects that I don't take out of the house.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever bag I am using to carry my other things I need with me (Bus schedules as I need two different ones, my CD player and earbuds, My little pack of tissues, hand sanitizer, lip balm, wallet, keys, cellphone, pattern booklet and sometimes I even stuff my laptop in the same bag if I foresee myself wanting to be on it.

lol Hubby said I'm a redneck.. I use to use a plastic walmart bag lol.. I stuff my hooks and tapstry needles in my purse.. and the project and yarn in my walmart bag.

now i have a small tote that i got free with some books.. I actualy have 2. one is larger. i keep my stash in the big one and carry what im working on in the other

My "take-along" bag is actually a tote/lg purse by Vera Bradley. I had purchased this as a purse but it was kinda large so I now use it to carry my crochet project. Its really nice and convenient because it has about 6 pockets lining the inside so its perfect for hooks, etc.

For my smaller projects like dish cloths or granny squares I use a basket purse I found at an antique store a few years ago. I pd $40 and LOVE it. I get so many compliments on it. I have a lady bug bag I bought, then ripped out the velcro. I have about a dozen cloth bags I have purchased over the years at thrift stores. I do like the idea of bags with pockets....

• 2 weeks later...

I had to laugh at this posting. I have at least a dozen tote bags of various sizes all around the house - many with projects in them. What made me chuckle was that my DH & I went to the Big E this week. This is a multi state fair/exhibition in Mass. Chevy had cars on display & if you took a short survey they'd give you a small drawstring backpack. I had hubby & me take the survey so I could get two bags. They're perfect to put my project in & not have to set it on the ground when we're at a soccer game or other outdoor things. DH jokingly accused me of a one track mind - yarn! :lol The first place we went to see when we got there was the fiber nook, rovings, spun fiber, wheels, looms.....aahhhh :c9

• 1 year later...

I have several at one time going. So bigger projects are in the canvas totes my husband gets from work conventions and my big Disney tote. The smaller -like wash clothes- are in the small totes I got from the Longeberger Homestead. And medium are in reusable shopping bags. They all have small pockets for hooks and scissors, some have pockets for books, and most have open tops. The disney has a small velcro closer so I had an extra star from a flag afghan I made that I stuck to the velcro to keep my project from sticking to it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am embarassed cause although I make and have lots of totes, most of my projects are in baskets and when I need to take one with me I envariably grab a plastic bag and just put the whole thing in there. I find it easier and like it when the weather is wet (which is most of the time here) to keep everything dry.

I use an old canvas bag I got from my grandmother, it's big enough to contain mulitiple projects yet small enough to be carried anywhere. It used to be my overnight bag or grocery bag, but now it's crochet only! I get the most work done on the go! At home I have two baskets. One with all of my yarn and supplies and one with my WIPs that I can't take with me or that I've put aside for a bit.

I must confess - I"m a "tote-acholic", everywhere from Aldi large plastic bags, to walmart bags (for a grap and go!). But when I retired a gal that I worked with for ages, ordered me the large utility tote bag from Thirty One, with my "nick" lace angel emboirdered on the outside. ( http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/catalog) It's fantastic! All kinds of outside pockets to hold, everything from my tool case (a zippered cosmetic bag, that I found on clearance sale at Big Lots, the elastic "brush holders" work for my current needles, plus it also has 2 compartments, both zippered for my other needlework accessories), to water bottles, to large pattern hardcover books, plus whatever current project I'm concentratiing on. I have bags from thirft stores, canvas tote bags, and usually have multiple projects that I'm working on. But the 31 is my go to bag, every Friday for my local meeting of Knitting/Crochet Group at the library. I was a "bag lady" before the term was even "coined"....... Also, inside this large bag, is one I found at Dollar Tree, that has two pockets on the outside, just perfect for a small project.

I have a "carry-on Bag" that I received from my work, its curved into a half tunnel-shape on top with mesh pockets on the sides and the opening flap, the circular shape keeps my yarn from getting smooshed when its half used and has plenty of pockets for patterns, hooks, and needles. Its pretty much perfect :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have so many different bags that I use for my projects, but the ones I tend to use the most include one from Old Navy that my older sister actually got when she was into crochet (I have no memory of this, and it apparently didn't last too long) that she passed on to me when she moved to CA, and a nice bag from Jo Ann's with a bunch of pockets. But I'm always on the look out for new bags, as each project has its own needs. I was so happy when I went to the Lion Brand Yarn Studio, and they gave me a reusable bag to hold my purchase.

• 2 months later...

I have several bags, depending on where I'm going and what I'm making. I have a nice crocheters bag with rubber holes on the top that is great for small projects. I have a beautiful basket at home that I use to store my current project(s) because it looks nice and my husband doesn't mind it. I also have a huge collection of tote bags that I use as needed.

• 1 month later...

I made a bag to carry my yarn in when I first started crocheting, but that bag has long since been retired.

Frankly, I'll use ANYTHING to carry it in. I prefer using a small backpack or a beach tote bag, anything with velcrow is okay by me. Sometimes I put items in plastic baggies inside of larger bags. I even have duffle bags I use from time to time, but I like using pop up laundry bags for carrying afghans around with me (when I worked at a call center I did this).

If I'm on the bus going to and from work, it is usually the beach tote or backpack. I've thrown small projects in my purse before too though.

Ikea has a big zip up grocery type bag, though its 4x's the size of a grocery bag. Nice to store yarn and/or to store yarn for a bigger project.

But, as others, anything can and will be used to carry around yarn projects, from totes I've made to grocery bags to purses.

I use a bag from Walmart that they were selling as a reuseable grocery bag. Only cost $3.00 and it holds all my tools, my wip and my project notebook and manages to look stylish without being oversized.

Archived