Crochet Carrying Bags?

Mostly I use your standard canvas tote bags for my big projects (afghans and the like. Just received my Crochetville bag (the enabling crocheting one) :yay I keep my hooks, scrissors, etc. in a little zebra striped zip bag (looks kind of like a bolster pillow or duffle bag) that's just long enough for my longest hook and that was probably meant for jewelry or makeup. Used to use plastic grocery bags or zip-top bags for little stuff (baby hats, etc.), will now be using the little tote I made last week http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72720

And I crochet wherever I can - doctor's office, anywhere I have to wait, group get-togethers where I don't have to write or otherwise use my hands for something else. I've never had any problem with it, people are often curious and usually very complimentary. I ordinarily only take little projects out of the house, with the exception of my Stitching for Sanity group, that one rates the big projects and sometimes the little projects too!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if i have a bigger project.... i use a diaper bag that i bought at a thrift store, if it's small i use a bath tote that i ordered from avon, or a small canvas bag. i usually always have a wip with me, never know when i'll get stuck in traffic or have to wait for very long.

• 1 month later...

Just found another new bag to carry projects in.

$1 Walmart reusable shopping bag. These things are BIG and can hold LOTS. I bought one to see what it was like to make a crochet version:hook and have used it for other things. I used one this weekend for an afghan I'm making. Was nice to have another WIP bag:yes. Yes I did need to use my little makeup bag to hold my hook, scissors, etc., in, but that's fine, it's the one I've been using for various projects.

Debbi

I had a couple of tote bags I got from book clubs (I think), but my projects grew, so I used plastic bags for a while. Recently I bought several of those canvas totes that the local supermarkets sell for $1, and I keep some projects in those. The one tote that I bought several years ago will hold only a small amount, so that's my to-go bag. I don't always take a project with me unless we're going out of town, though. Since I'm sort of shy about crocheting around other people, I don't take it to appointments very often, because I've gotten some snotty remarks from people about how I hold the hook or why I'm not knitting instead of wasting yarn crocheting.

I had a couple of tote bags I got from book clubs (I think), but my projects grew, so I used plastic bags for a while. Recently I bought several of those canvas totes that the local supermarkets sell for $1, and I keep some projects in those. The one tote that I bought several years ago will hold only a small amount, so that's my to-go bag. I don't always take a project with me unless we're going out of town, though. Since I'm sort of shy about crocheting around other people, I don't take it to appointments very often, because I've gotten some snotty remarks from people about how I hold the hook or why I'm not knitting instead of wasting yarn crocheting.

Don't let them intimidate you. Just crochet. i got a rude question "What if they banned crochet ? " and I didn't know what to say. But I keep crocheting in public. of course you don't have to crochet in public. But if you want to, you should. And tell them, "I prefer crocheting thank you and have a nice day." And say "there is no wrong way to hold your hook, everyone is different and that's a good thing. Thank you and have a nice day." Post a picture of your grip style link shows tht there is NO WRONG WAY to hold your hook.

Debbi

Right now I am using a huge messenger type bag. I've got crocheting i'm carrying to/from work. Yay, lucky me I get to crochet at work 3 times a week. :-) So, in that i've got my patterns, books and several skeins of yarn. and my hook case. I did somehow manage to lose my metal yarn needle. :-( but other times, I've got this pink flowered bag with a hole in the edge for the yarn to go through. the only thing is, the bag is useful and fits lots, but it's too floppy. I've also used re-usable grocery store bags, plastic grocery bags, everything! lol at home, before when I've been using a ball of yarn I have put the ball in an upside down play soldiers hat that was my son. It was perfect, and he had grown out of it.

I saw some smaller ones at a dollar store. They would work for little projects or thread projects. They had it in their ummer items. But they also have little make up bags and that's what I've been using for years for to hold all my crochet hooks, it was jus a little cheap plastic one, but has lasted and I like it. I can find it easy.

I found an army map bag at the military surplus for about $10. It has nice compartments, as well as elastic loops that are meant for pencils, but hold hooks very nicely. Best of all, it looks fun and funky. It's a stonewashed grey (not camoflauge), and I plan on putting buttons and patches on it.

I've made a large tote and a smaller. I also use large purses that have the metal magnetic clips that hold them closed. I have lots of backpacks that I can use and book bags. Depends on the project, where I'm going, how long I'll be gone, etc.

I use anything I can get my hands on at the time, I ndo have 2 totes specifically for crochet, but I use a bucket sometimes around my house, I have a rice bag for small wips, another small tote, a clear plastic bag (not a grocery bag, its a heavy duty one)I like to use different things, I am making s duffle to use right now.

Kim

It depends on my project and where i am going.

In the van I have one of those pop up mesh laundry baskets. It holds all the yarn for my current large project along with the WIP and the book. My hoooks are always grabbed and stuffed in my tiny purse.

In the living room I have plastic covered bins and another one of the mesh laundry baskets.

In my room I have a set of plastic drawers that i keep things in and

for most of my traveling purposes i have some LL Bean Boat and tote bags with zip tops. I have two sizes small and x-large they are great I use the small one for thread projects andf the large one for multiple projects or projects with multiple colors of yarn. These are wonderful because they are heavy canvas...hooks and scissors do not poke through so nothing lost. Also the small one is big enough that if I am going to the movies or school function for the kiddos It can function as a purse for me as well

I too have several bags I use - mostly the canvas bag size. I have a huge bag too that I use when going on vacation and I want to carry several projects and be able to hold the finished product too until I get home - a large duffle bag. I have been thinking about making a pattern for a crocheted one that would be lined so things don't fall through and a draw string closure top that you can run the strand of yarn through I will post it if I ever get it done.

I use a medium Land's End open top tote for small/medium projects, and I also have a large one too that I use for large projects like afghans.

I LOVE them!!! I don't usually spend money on such things (I'm cheap) But the way they are made, they ALWAYS stand up!! And there's pockets in the inside and one on the out side.

I use them for everything, not just crochet, and I consider them to be a great investment.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/OpenTopTotes~118740_1342.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::NTV&CM_MERCH=IDX_00005__0000000307&origin=index

Last year Walgreens had these LARGE zipper closure carry bags made of canvas for $5.00. I can put 10-12 skeins of RH SS, my pattern book, my ziplock with all my fussy little accessories, two hook cases, a bottle of water and some snacks (oops, there goes the diet) all into the bag with plenty of room left for the item I am working on. For the price they are terrific...don't have any pockets though. I noticed they are once again being offered for $5.00 and are in the summer merchandise aisle.

I check at thrift stores for diaper bags, beach bags, tiny overnite bags. I always look for easy-to-carry, almost weightless bags. Preferably washable. If I need to take a thread holder or a table lamp with me, I take a small suitcase.

I recently bought a very nice beach bag with a zipper for my vacation to San Diego. Now it's my new crochet bag.

It has a zipper on top, plus several inside and outside pockets to store things in. It even has a pocket to put a waterbottle in. It's my new favorite bag. I bring it to work with me and even put my lunch in it.

And it's pink and gray plaid. I love pink, so it's my favorite bag. I got it at Kohl's I think.

:manyheart

Ok. I have to add about my crochet bag. First off, let me say that I LOVE bags almost as much as I love to crochet. Anyway, I got a bag from Hancock fabrics called a project tote and it is WONDERFUL!! It has a lot of pockets inside and out and closes at the top with a zipper. My 1 y/o can't get in my bag, as hard as he may try!! I also keep projects that are unfinished in ziplock bags in a plastic box. Only my current project is in the bag!

With Earth Day, a lot of stores are carrying very nice totes, cheap! Walmart has a pretty lime colored one, very roomy & pretty with an Earth on it. It was $1 I think. Office Depot has a nice one too, tan with green for .99. I have lots of totes & still bought one of each LOL! I can change them out when I get bored with one, use them for yarn, groceries, pool, whatever. I thought I'd mention the Earth Day bags because they're nicer than carrying a reg plastic bag & don't cost much at all.

A lot depends on the project of the moment.

For a baby afghan, I use a plastic bag from the grocery store. Yeah, I know . . sooooo fancy. LOL But it works so well. Keeps the project dry, easy to grab and take to work.

For a small project "on the go", I have a small quilted bag, just big enough for a ball of cotten yarn to make a dishcloth or hot pad. Makes it easy to carry while at the doctor's or dentist's office or when you know you'll have a short waiting time.

I really should get something nicer than plastic grocery bags, but I'm too cheap. :blush:blush

You know those clear plastic zippered things that new sheets come in? I take that to work because we have to store them in a big cupboard that everyone has access to and I figure, if the yarn project can be seen inside, it won't be stolen! It is also easier to keep track of various WIPs that way.

If its a getting-bigger-afghan it goes in a large, zippered beach bag, with hooks and scissors in the attached sunglasses case.

I use an LL Bean zip top toe bag (large) and I have one with many pockets not an ll bean. The bean is my favorite because it zips and is large enough to carry a couple of skeins and my wip.

Archived