Crochet Carrying Bags?

Mostly I use the clear zipper bags that sheets and linens come in. They hold up well and the small ones that pillowcases come in are just the right size to throw in my purse. I also use zip-lock bags for small things. I like clear bags because if I can't see it, I tend to forget about the project and it languishes unfinished for weeks.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Various assortment...canvas bag from Albuquerque, straw Mexican bag, zippered bag from my husband's work, plastic bag from grocery store...whatever is handy.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a newbie so where do you take your projects? I know, this seems like a dumb question, right?

It's not a dumb question. As a matter of fact, there was a thread here asking just that question.

As for me, I take crochet projects to the doctor's office; the airport or train station; relatives' homes (in case I have time alone) when I'm staying for awhile; long car trips in case my hubby wants to listen to music rather than talk; and work (lunch hour or break time). I do not take my projects to my place of worship. Reason: I'm there to worship God. Period.

I have a HUGE bag I got from IKEA last spring. Its big enough to hold 2 dozen full (7 oz) skeins of yarn, so its plenty big enough for any project! Its white with a blue print. I also have a project bag from BagSmith, which is a knitting stand with a shoulder strap. When you put it down, it has a metal fram that props open and holds the bag open. Its awesome! Those are the two bags I use most...

I have several "book bags" from a library in my hometown (it has held up for ten years) and one from the library where I live now ( won in a contest@ there). I also have one that my daughter bought @ Wal-Mart that has a grommet to feed yarn through.

I pick up totes in various sizes at yard sales and thrift shops - florals and such, and I have a few canvas style open-top book bags.

I was always getting annoyed at the "no pockets to put my things in" dilemma, plus my pattern books and magazines getting all squished - and then one day my circular yarn cutter got caught in the project unbeknownst to me and when I pulled it out I CUT MY PROJECT!

I designed these project organizers for myeslf and they work GREAT. I have several WIP's at any given time so I needed more than one. A lady at work saw one and really liked it, I made her one, and I decided to try and sell them on etsy. You can look in my shop if you like, but they basically go inside the bag that's holding your yarn - they don't hold the yarn or the project itself.

Here's one "fully loaded" with the pattern, Jimbo hook, knitting needles, gauge checker, etc. I'm still tweaking them around doing some with more pockets and also putting a scissor holder in for those who don't use the circular cutters.

etsyaug17005.jpg

I'm going to be adding about six more later today - just need to put the closures on - so you can see what I mean about the scissor holder thing.

Paulette, I love it!

I've made a few that just hold a few hooks scissors etc. I love the idea of something to protect the pattern or book I am using.

I just got that freeform book too.

I just finished making myself a bag that I had been wanting to carry my W.I.P.s in.

I used Bernat Softee Chunky Twists in Twilight Twists. I used a J hook (even though the pattern called for a G. A G! With chunky yarn! Imagine that?!?!? LOL) and a pattern from a Bernat book I picked up. The book is called Easy Living Crochet and the pattern is called "Pink Tidy Tote". I had purchased 3 balls of yarn, like the pattern called for, but would have only had enough for 1 handle. Fortunately, I had some Bernat Softee Chunky in a light taupe color left over from another project that matched perfectly.

I really like how this bag turned out. It's 16" x 13" x 2".

(Images are click able)

th_bagcu4.jpg

th_bag5.jpg

th_bag4.jpg

ETA: I have a holder for hooks and scissors that keeps them from getting tangled in my work and I also have a wooden box I picked up from eBay a few years ago that I keep my stuff in as well. Pockets would be nice and I'll figure out how to add those next time I make one. ;)

If I'm packing a lot, say if I was going out of town, I have a nice canvas tote from my mothers of twins club. For small trips, like if I was going to pick up the kids from school and knew I'd be stuck in the parking lot for a while, I use the ever popular plastic shopping bag for my projects. My hooks and scissors have lived in a clear vinyl cosmetics bag that I won as a door prize a decade ago. I hated the makeup but I love my little bag. I keep saying I'm going to make myself a tote.

I use a "chinese" padded bag - made from satin with "over the shoulder" handles.

It can hold a 10ball cellophane pack and a pattern book with ease and theres a little side pocket with zip for snippers and hooks. :hook

I bought a bulk order (40) - in different colours from China about 2 years ago, and then sold them on eBay - hmmm... think I still have some left! :ebay

Manda

As others have said, not a dumb question at all!

I take my crochet with me everywhere. I never know when I'll have a few minutes to get some stitching in. :c9

I am a newbie so where do you take your projects? I know, this seems like a dumb question, right?

Right now, I'm using a backpack with rolling wheels that I got at Wal-Mart. It's got some decent pockets on the exterior. And I use individual cinch-type backpacks that I got on clearance at Walgreens to hold individual projects. If I know that I'm going to be out much of the day with a bunch of wait time, I can stash a couple of projects, for variety to entertain my ADHD brain & hands.

There are a couple of practical reasons, one being my currently-screwed-up back, but the other is that when I'm only out for short while, like riding to the store while hubby drives, I can always grab one of my projects in a cinch sack, sling it over my shoulder, and the yarn comes out the hole at the top when I pull it shut, and I can work on it anywhere, then stash the project back in the bag when I'm done & then keep my hands free.

I actually have a...sort of a tool box I guess it is lol. I'll take pics of it if anyone's interested. I bought it at wal-mart for $5 a few years back (and I'm looking for another one because I love it and this one's breaking...) I can carry all my needles and all my hooks in there, along with my markers, stitch counter (which I never use lol) and measuring tape thing and whatever else in the tray that has a handle, and then yarn (2 skeins or like 4-6 balls depending) on the bottom. They can't be thick skeins like super savers, but regular size. They fit perfect. I just thread the yarn up through the handle and Right now I just started my sons camo hats, so I have that little bit in there. But the only down size is that when I get further into a larger project like a blanket or shawl or whatever, it wont fin and I'll have to get something else.

I want a bag that I saw that holds yarn and projects, I told my kids that's what I wanted for christmas lol. And I also was a holder for my hooks and needles. I hate having to pick each one up to check what size it is, and I'd like to have one of each size anyway so I don't have to wait to start a project.

Ok, I'm talking too much...

Anyway, that's what I use :0)

~~Cheri~~

I'm using a bag my mom made for me when I was 10 years old:manyheart

She made it out of material left over from her reupholstered dining room chairs and she added handles. I have others but I always go back to that one:U

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
And I also was a holder for my hooks and needles. I hate having to pick each one up to check what size it is, and I'd like to have one of each size anyway so I don't have to wait to start a project.

I have a pdf file of a crochet hook case from Sarah Kohler that is out of this world. If I can get it to show here, I'll post it. :) If not, I can email it to you. :)

Archived