Crochet Carrying Bags?

What do you carry your crochet in when working on a project?

I had been using a huge Red heart bag, but it was so big and I never really carried that much yarn around, so at Hobby Lobby I found some smaller bags for my yarn and used them..........but they were too small. A few weeks back I was in Walgreens and saw a pink Dog carrier, a soft one and thought it the perfect size and color to carry my yarn in. I love it!!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a chopper tote bag I bought from the post office. It does the job okay but I would like one that has compartments for my stuff.

I never thought of thinking outside of the box like you. Awesome idea though. I'll have to keep a better eye out on those things.

I acually use a bag that was meant for gardening, it has numerous pouches on the outside, I also have 2 other non-discript bags as I always seem to have too many projects on the go.

:hook:yarn:hook:yarn

I've used everything from those free bags they give you at the cosmetics counter when you buy a certain $$$ of product to bags I've picked up at Wal-Mart for $5. I have to say, though, my favorite bag is the one I got at our LYS that I blew big money for. It's the only one that stays open and doesn't snag the yarn in the zipper teeth.

i use a "bag for life" i bought from my aunt who sells bodyshop stuff.http://search.thebodyshop.com/?jsessionid=04620EFCE8CB1CA8FC9DB551823633F4.bsprd-app-101-bssfolapp04&cm_re=default-_-Topbar-_-search&q=bag+for+lifei also have a couple of those canvas bags from walmart and an "offical" crochet bag (tote) i bought at acmoore for 10.00.

Currently: I'm using a fighter pilot's helmet bag I picked up at a not so nearby Base Exchange. It is large and roomy, with pockets inside and out. My only gripe is that there is velcro on the outside pockets that snags the yarn when I'm not careful.

I have one of those garden bags, but for it is too open for my taste.

Ruth

I use those canvas totes that company recruiters give away at college career fairs. After 2 years of college, I have a few dozen of these and I'm too cheap to actually go out and buy any totes.

The dog carrier is a neat idea. I recently picked up a yarntainer. It's okay for smaller projects. My shawl is near finish and I had to switch to a tote bag. The tote is starting to get ratty, though. I was thinking about getting one of those $4 backpacks at AC Moore.

Since I always have several projects going at the same time, I have multiple bags for my take-along crochet.

They range from canvas tote bags that I've found at thrift stores to the smaller bags included with a luggage set to "plarn" bags - if you don't know what plarn is, you need to check out the Plastic Bag CAL here at Crochetville.

I've never actually bought anything "new" for this purpose.

I just use whatever bags I happen to have lying around and are empty. Usually thought I just keep them in the plastic shopping bags (of course then I have a bunch of those and never can find what I'm looking for LOL). But at work I try to use just one black bag, I'll bring my WIP in a plastic shopping bag and change it into that to look better or to keep it in that for the duration. There's one zipper pocket for scissor, measuring tape, neelde and my hook. At home I don't care and if I don't crochet out and about too much, if so, I usually have one big bag I cart around my extras (lunch for work, book, paperwork, etc.) in and can put it in that.

Debbi

I bought a set of three clear vinyl bags in different sizes, trimmed in black along the zipper, with black fabric handles. They all zip closed and I carry different sized projects in them; for example, a thread bookmark, an afghan for my Aunt and a scarf for a young friend. I've also pinned a Crochetville button to one of the straps on each bag

I to use the "plarn" bags, usually wal-mart.....LOL I have hundreds of bags, I love to buy bags, but I usually just grab a grocery plastic bag. I also use my Longaberger Baskets I can stand up 4 skeins of yarn on the one I use. Also I have one with a "tissue" top and use it for thread crocheting......so basically whatever is at hand...

I use a sewing machine bag that I got on clearance from my local Hancock Fabrics (it went out of business) for $2.00. It's roomy enough to hold an afghan, yarn, my hook case, a pattern...and an extra smaller project. Plus it has a pocket on the outside that I use fo rmy keys/cell phone!

I have really basic totes I have sewn that I use and one that was made for me in a swap. I also made some recycled feted sweater bags. I pick up small bags at the thrift store too.

I have one of those Lion Brand totes, but it is HUGE! It's great for traveling because I usually take a bigger project with me (and an embroidery project) but most of the time, my work just sits in or beside my glider rocker. I don't take my crochet with me much unless I'm traveling. I tried taking small projects with me to doctor appointments and such, but for me it just never worked - I wouldn't get much done before they'd call me back, and I'd always fumble putting my project away in a hurry, drop the hook or yarn, etc. So I just take a book if I'm someplace I think I'll have to wait, and leave my crocheting at home.

One of our members made a beach bag using this pattern and it turned out very pretty and has lots of room! The pattern she used is this one. I am working on my second one and they are pretty easy to make. My daughter has the first one and the second one is mine. They have lots of room for taking your crochet projects along! We are using them as shopping bags instead of using all those blue plastic bags.

Beach Bag with Beads

I carry tote bags, have a couple that came as a gift with my shampoo and one I got a walmart the other day.

But, when it's a small project (like a dishcloth) I just carry a gallon size ziploc bag.

I'm a "bag lady" lol, I get bored so I change bags a lot. Reg handbags, shoulder bags, crochet bags. I have some large totes but I don't like carrying large totes. Usually my "to go crochet" is not a large project. Afghans I will work on only at home.

So I really have a hard time with crochet bags to carry along crochet in. Right now I'm using a medium size tote that I sewed myself. I am not a sewer, lol, but I do ok & they look ok. I'd consider myself a basic sewer. I have another bag in the planning stages because I need more pockets. Everything seems to float to the bottom lol

I keep trying to find or make "my perfect bag" but haven't discovered it yet :lol So I keep trying. Handbags are so much easier IMO to crochet & to find in stores. But the perfect crochet carry along bag is aloof to me. :P

I made a crochet bag out of a 15" travel bag I found at Walgreens. I used an eyelet kit to put 3 grommets in the top to feed my yarn through and voila!

A sturdy lil bag with lots of pockets that keeps me together on the go.

-shel

I usually use gift bags. They come in so many pretty colors and designs. My shawl is in a lavender one with flowers, my ecru thread is in a ruby red one, my Dad's Budghan wip is in a huge gift bag with all the yarn for it.

I like using the gift bags because then when you're finished it's already ready to give. They hold up great and I can change them with my mood and project.

I have a really pretty embroidered make up bag (about 4"x7") that I got as a Xmas present that I keep my doodads in - scissors, hooks, sewing needles, bandaids, etc.

I also have a gorgeous white leather purse decorated with silver and torq. stones that my mom got me. The strap is way to short for me to ever use as a purse and it's roomy enough to carry projects. Sometimes I'll take it if I know I'll be somewhere where I don't mind putting it down on the floor.

Archived