Vanna's yarn?

clementine

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our Michaels didnt have the books, but did have the yarn. Joanns had nothing from the Vanna line last week, but today, they had the yarn and the two books.

They have a 40% off any item coupon along with a $5 off of $35 purchase in the flyer as you come in the store. I was able to use both, so that helped. It doesn't take much when the yarn is $2.99/skein.

lol....Debbie

uwcheese

i FINALLY made it to my michaels today to see this yarn. i've been dying to see it. WOW are the colors fantastic. i didn't buy any (which took EXTREME will power) but i can't wait to finish up a few other projects so i can go buy some. i need to make a few afghans for xmas so i'm anxious to try it out.

i really liked the deep red color. that will match my living room PERFECTLY.

I was wondering that as well! I didn't see it answered yet...

I made a 4-inch swatch today. (I really liked the way it worked up, and it crocheted quickly and smoothly, too -- and I am NOT a fan of acrylic, so I was impressed.) Anyway, I threw it in the laundry and will report back after I've washed the swatch.

As soon as I got the Lion Brand Newsletter I went to Michael's And I got like $40 worth of Vanna's choice.

I thought it felt even better that Red Heart SS (I'm not a big fan of acrylic normally) and I was planning on making a Round Ripple Blanket with it.

As soon as I get it out of my trunk (it's been there for more that a week) I'll start working on it!

So far, I think JoAnn's is the cheapest for the Vanna Yarn - $2.99 skein. Everywhere else I saw for $3.99. Still haven't gotten any, but will soon - I just love the colors.

maybe it was just the colors I was trying (all autumnal dark shades). I didnt paw any of the light ones:)

I don't know this yarn. But sometimes I think they mess up with some chemical finish they put on the yarn. I made a sweater out of luster sheen all in ivory and all the same dye lot and one of the skeins felt real stiff and scratchy. I was worried as it wasn't as soft as the rest of the sweater. DH the chemist thought I should just wash the sweater because if they messed up the finishing it would just wash out. And sure enough, it was all nice and soft after I washed it.

Angie

Hmmm....I posted this once ( I thought) but don't see it now, so I'll post again:

The swatch I made with the Vanna yarn washed up just fine. It's even softer after washing. So I went ahead and went to Michael's and got a few skeins for some projects I'm planning. (I paid $2.99/skein, btw.)

Hmmm....I posted this once ( I thought) but don't see it now, so I'll post again:

The swatch I made with the Vanna yarn washed up just fine. It's even softer after washing. So I went ahead and went to Michael's and got a few skeins for some projects I'm planning. (I paid $2.99/skein, btw.)

gosh at my craft store its 3.99 for 3.5 oz. (just a little too pricey for me for a project right now)

Here's the scoop on the yarn. I bought yarn for the afghan on the front cover of her new book but am thinking of using only one strand.

Kittyloverdeb, the pattern calls for two strands but is it bulky and heavy? I decided to buy the yarn in each color minus 1 skein of each just to see how one strand works.

The colors are beautiful and I have not found any skeins that do not match exactly even though I bought them from different stores and times. I'd like to see how it works for others.....

Debbie

uwcheese

Somehow I missed this post...sorry Deb! Yes it is quite heavy! If you only used one strand of yarn to make it, I'm sure it would be beautiful and a lighter weight. I just love how it has the "tweedy" (is that a word?) look with using the 2 strands. Also, if you aren't good at matching what colors look good together....there is a tutorial in the back of that book to help with patterns for different squares. I love the book! One of my very favorite Vanna books so far!!!:yes

I found & petted some of this locally this weekend. :D I too had a *just* yarn petting day... LOL. Gotta use that stash. Well anyway, to me it is not as soft as Simply Soft (but more "Worsted" size - since SS is a bit smaller than reg. worsted) but is about the next step down in softness, because it's definitely a lot softer than RH and maybe even softer than TLC. A little more expensive but not unreasonable for the colors.

I'm working with this for a scarf that I'm making and I have to say that I like the way it feels. I find it quite easy to work with.

My favorite common brand yarn will always be Caron Super Soft but when I need something with more weight I won't hesitate to use Vanna's Choice.

The Michael's up the street from me is selling it for $2.99.

I finished Stripes! and am using the leftovers in a ghan for my daughter. The yarn is thicker and softer than TLC Essentials, which is one of the yarns I'm mixing the scraps with.

Michaels and AC Moore both have it at $2.99 a skein.

Deb, I see what you mean. There is a tweed effect and it does make a big difference...... Even though it is thick, it is not "stiff" like I have had every time I double up WW. So, maybe it will work out ok. I sure wish someone would put it on a "real" sale!!! Maybe 1.99, or might as well wish for $1.50......go for the gusto! That would be great!!!!

Debbie

uwcheese

Sorry, hit send too fast.

I am amazed on how well it is selling at 2.99 a skein. Taupe is almost always gone as well as the purples. I haven't seen many of the variagated skeins yet, maybe they are coming. Has anyone had trouble getting the colors they need?

Debbie

uwcheese

I also love the yarn. I wish she had some brighter colors as well but with the demand here for it, I bet her colors will expand. My favorite color is the silver blue but have not used it in any afghans yet. Just think it is very pretty for just the right project.

I just got gifted with 6 skiens in a swap. I have really fallen in love with it. I haven't decided what to make with them though. Still thinking about it. I might make me a scarf. It feels like it would be warm and snuggly.

I ordered some Vanna's choice yarn from this place a few months ago. Thats the lowest price I've found it so far. Even with postage it's worth it, instead of driving from store to store trying to find out if they have it or if they have all the colors you need. I don't remember what I payed for postage but it was the average $7 or $8 bucks or something like that . nothing outrageous. It's alot easier for me to shop from my home whatever time I want , even at midnight in my PJ's and then have it delivered to my door. Especially with gas prices being so high now, it's worth the few bucks they charge for shipping. THEY ALSO HAV FREE SHIPPING OVER $75 Just thought I would share! I case anyone was having trouble finding it near their home :)

I've been eyeing this yarn too, but I'm making afghans lately, and I'd have to spend twice as much to get the same amount of yarn as RHSS. So I might get the Vanna yarn for a smaller project. Some of the proceeds go to St. Jude's Children's Hospital in Memphis, a worthy cause.

Deb, I see what you mean. There is a tweed effect and it does make a big difference...... Even though it is thick, it is not "stiff" like I have had every time I double up WW. So, maybe it will work out ok. I sure wish someone would put it on a "real" sale!!! Maybe 1.99, or might as well wish for $1.50......go for the gusto! That would be great!!!!

Debbie

uwcheese

Ok, this is probably gonna sound really bad, but what I did was when I got an email coupon from JoAnn's I printed off a bunch and used them to buy the Vanna's choice yarn.:devil It took a couple of trips, but worth it because it took the price down to 1.90 with tax. So I saved a total of about 14.00. Has anyone else ever done that? I kinda felt a little guilty after, because I gave my Dh coupons, My kids 5 and 3 coupons, but they have the yarn and the money so they are really customers right?! :yes

By the way I'm making the shaded blanket from her new book

Ok, this is probably gonna sound really bad, but what I did was when I got an email coupon from JoAnn's I printed off a bunch and used them to buy the Vanna's choice yarn.:devil It took a couple of trips, but worth it because it took the price down to 1.90 with tax. So I saved a total of about 14.00. Has anyone else ever done that? I kinda felt a little guilty after, because I gave my Dh coupons, My kids 5 and 3 coupons, but they have the yarn and the money so they are really customers right?! :yes

By the way I'm making the shaded blanket from her new book

My aunt does that in the grocery store when they say "limit 3 per customer" she and her hubby will do that. Once the clerk was nice, my aunt missed that fine print, and had a cart ful and the clerk rang up 3 at a time :lol .

I've been eyeing this yarn too, but I'm making afghans lately, and I'd have to spend twice as much to get the same amount of yarn as RHSS. So I might get the Vanna yarn for a smaller project.

Me too. I think I might try it for a scarf and see how it works. I'm wanting to make scarfs for Christmas gifts and this may be the yarn. I don't have a problem with RHSS too often so I like using it and after washing seems fine to me. But this is a nice yarn and would be nice for gifts.

Debbi

Both my local Michaels and AC Moore have Vanna's yarn (and AC Moore actually had her two new books, which they never have new books right away) and both are selling it for $2.99. The colors are more muted but pretty. There was a woman in Michaels with her two kids, she had about a dozen skeins in her arms (no cart) and each kid had about 4 or 5 in their arms.

Gee, sounds like me (except I don't have kids, need the cart. LOL).

Hopefully, they will have it on sale soon. But from the looks of it, it is selling whether or not it is on sale.

LI Roe

I've bought a few skeins so far for some owls and it is sooo soft and a dream to work with. Doesn't feel like acrylic and washes and drys like a dream to (I wash on cold with low heat).:hook Too bad there aren't even more colors:devil

Archived