Textured Ballet Style Slippers(pattern correction)

Sonny321

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to make these this week, but I'm just not having any luck. When it starts out, am I working on the sole of it, or is it supposed to curve like its going around your toes? cause mine is curving.

AND when you get to rounds 5 and 6 is it CH 1, Sc, Ch1,SC around or is it CH 1. sc,sc,sc,sc around? that's where I'm stuck so far!

Sorry, I just get a little confused sometimes. These are cute and I really want to finish them as its chilly in my house this week!

I'm trying to make these this week, but I'm just not having any luck. When it starts out, am I working on the sole of it, or is it supposed to curve like its going around your toes? cause mine is curving.

AND when you get to rounds 5 and 6 is it CH 1, Sc, Ch1,SC around or is it CH 1. sc,sc,sc,sc around? that's where I'm stuck so far!

Sorry, I just get a little confused sometimes. These are cute and I really want to finish them as its chilly in my house this week!

Let me see if I can help, when you are starting out you are working on the toe, so it's supposed to be forming a sort of cupped shape that will fit over your toes. On rows 5 and 6, you chain 1 and the work a sc in each stitch all the way around, then join with a slip stitch to the first sc you made at the start of the round. Let me know if that helps, or if not I'll be happy to help some more.

Nope that's what I thought, but when I did that the first time it looked wrong, so I did the other way, I'll frog the last 2 rows again and start over with 5. Thanks hon. appreciate it!

Nope that's what I thought, but when I did that the first time it looked wrong, so I did the other way, I'll frog the last 2 rows again and start over with 5. Thanks hon. appreciate it!

Just to clarify there is only 1 chain 1 at the start of the round, just like when you are making regular rows of single crochet stitches, and then 1 single crochet in each stich around.

Yep that's what I thought, it just didn't look right, so I did the ch 1, SC in each SC around, clearly NOT the right thing to do cause now its all Ruffly. LOL

OK and then I had trouble starting the FPDC too. Cause a FPDC actually goes around the post of the row before it right? so then you have either side of it open so essentially THAT stitch is BETWEEN 2 stitches on the row before it right? OK so if THIS is true does the next stitch go in the space directly next to the post (same stitch basically in row before) or the NEXT one. Now I tried it both ways, One way looks WAY too close together and the other too far apart? I've Done FPDC before in a V stitch or Cross stitch as sometimes called and I got it right so what am I doing wrong or am I just being WAY too apprehensive and I just need to "go with the flow" until I'm finished and trust my instincts?

Yep that's what I thought, it just didn't look right, so I did the ch 1, SC in each SC around, clearly NOT the right thing to do cause now its all Ruffly. LOL

OK and then I had trouble starting the FPDC too. Cause a FPDC actually goes around the post of the row before it right? so then you have either side of it open so essentially THAT stitch is BETWEEN 2 stitches on the row before it right? OK so if THIS is true does the next stitch go in the space directly next to the post (same stitch basically in row before) or the NEXT one. Now I tried it both ways, One way looks WAY too close together and the other too far apart? I've Done FPDC before in a V stitch or Cross stitch as sometimes called and I got it right so what am I doing wrong or am I just being WAY too apprehensive and I just need to "go with the flow" until I'm finished and trust my instincts?

Ok as luck would have it, I am working on a pair of these at the moment so I can try to explain it clearly as I do mine.

I am really terrible at explaining things so bear with me. Lets start with the row where you start the FPDC's. THe first stitch is a single crochet and you do that one normaly, the second stitch is a FPDC, to do this you YO and insert the hook around the post of the stitch directly below the second stitch in the row you are working on. Imagine for a second that you are going to just be working sc's you'd put that stitch in the stitch right next to the first Sc right? Ok so look just below where you'd put the stitch if it were a Sc, and put it around the post just under that stitch.

Here I made a video that may help( note ignore the fact that the example I am working from starts differently than the pattern, the round I explain is exactly the same):

Now on the next FPDC round and all rounds thereafter, You just work the FPDC around the post of the FPDC's in the previous rounds. The first FPDC round is really the only tricky spot.

Re: "or am I just being WAY too apprehensive and I just need to "go with the flow" until I'm finished and trust my instincts?"

You know I think worrying about getting it wrong is what holds people back from trying something outside of their comfort level. The worst that can happen, is that we have to pull out some stitches, annoying, yes but we usually learn more from the mistakes than the things we get right. I have a friend who is an excellent cook and he always says, My recipes are guidelines, starting points for your own creativity, not prescriptions to be followed to the letter. I take the same approach to crochet. And really if someone didn't want to do the FPDC's and just made them all in Sc's it'll work out just fine. I find that when I am having trouble really understanding something, generally it's me over complicating it. When I just go with my instincts, it's all good.

Your know I think your right, I had it right all along I was doubting myself and my abilities. after reading your posts and watching the video, I discover I was right all along! LOL

Thanks for telling me that the second row FPDC goes around the previous rows FPDC or THAT I would have messed up! LOL

Thanks for all your help, its very kind of you!

I think the first time I attempted it my stitches were WAY too loose cause here I was thinking I was making the sole of the slipper LOL. It looks MUCH better now thanks. I'm Starting row 10 now and I'll let you know how it ends up!

Thanks again!

Ok so I finished it this morning...and, well its too big LOL. I had tried it on as I went and i thought it would be ok, but NOT. SO...I'm just gonna start over. Maybe my stitches are loose? I wear an 8, but who knows. Anyway. I learned a new stitch. The RSC. So, I'll just frog it and start over! LOL. I'll get it eventually.

Wouldn't be something you could make as a gift unless you had the person there with you...at least not until I get better at them lol.

You know...I'm just going to take out 2 of the row from 16-35 cause I think it will be fine if I shorten it up a bit. We'll see, I'll let you know. I'd rather do that then start completely over you know? LOL

Thanks again for all your help.

ok well I just decided it was too big all over so I frogged the whole thing.

Oh well, Practice makes perfect.

So I noticed that my FPDC tended to / instead of being in a nice strait line like yours. Any idea WHY the'd do that?

I think I just crocheted the whole thing too loose or something. Mine look huge compaired to your petite looking ones. hmmm :think

Well I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. :hook

ok well I just decided it was too big all over so I frogged the whole thing.

Oh well, Practice makes perfect.

So I noticed that my FPDC tended to / instead of being in a nice strait line like yours. Any idea WHY the'd do that?

I think I just crocheted the whole thing too loose or something. Mine look huge compaired to your petite looking ones. hmmm :think

Well I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. :hook

I'm thinking it's probably your tension is looser than mine. Mine were comfortably snug. I've made a number of these for myself, sis and friends, Usually I am able to adjust the fit by either adding or removing rows at the end of the length, before you seam the heel. You can also adjust the fit in the edging rows as well by working a couple decreases in the " corners" that go across the top part of the foot, that helps to snug them up a bit if needed. I'm not sure what to tell you about the FPDC's not lining up I haven't had that problem on any of the ones I've made.

They are in a line, just the line twists instead of being strait. I'll get it eventually, I just need to play with it a bit before I prefect it like you have. lol.

I used an H hook too since my G hook is broken, but I'm going to TRY it with and E that's the only other Close one I have. If that doesn't work I'll go buy another G hook LOL. I'll get it. I won't rest until I do LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just know this pattern is going to be one of my favs. The size is mine and my two favorite stitches also, Rsc and Fpdc. It is going into my new projects book right now. Thank You for sharing.

• 1 month later...

I have started to do these slippers, but I am having issues with round 4. I think I undid and redid the first 4 rounds about 3-5 times and it seems I am always a stich short to make the last 2 SC's.

I am wondering if there is a mistake in the pattern, where it says 2 sc's in each of the next 3 stitches, and should read 2 sc's in each of the next 2 stitches. If I look at the pattern as it is, it would be a total of 30sc for the whole 4 round, and not 28.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

You are correct, it should read 2, I will correct that right away. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I have started to do these slippers, but I am having issues with round 4. I think I undid and redid the first 4 rounds about 3-5 times and it seems I am always a stich short to make the last 2 SC's.

I am wondering if there is a mistake in the pattern, where it says 2 sc's in each of the next 3 stitches, and should read 2 sc's in each of the next 2 stitches. If I look at the pattern as it is, it would be a total of 30sc for the whole 4 round, and not 28.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

I have another question, sorry for my newbieness :lol. On round 5 and 6, is the first sc you do after the 1 chain into the next stitch or the joining stitch (where you did the sl st)? Thanks again for all your help and the great pattern :).

I have another question, sorry for my newbieness :lol. On round 5 and 6, is the first sc you do after the 1 chain into the next stitch or the joining stitch (where you did the sl st)? Thanks again for all your help and the great pattern :).

Into the joining stitch.

okay. i've understood the pattern up until this point. but now i'm lost. i got throught the first 14 rows (yay me :clap, right?) but row 15 is throwing me off. shouldn't it be a bpdc instead of a fpdc? that's seems to be the only way I can get this thing to work right. please correct me if i'm wrong, i just got confused.:think

okay. i've understood the pattern up until this point. but now i'm lost. i got throught the first 14 rows (yay me :clap, right?) but row 15 is throwing me off. shouldn't it be a bpdc instead of a fpdc? that's seems to be the only way I can get this thing to work right. please correct me if i'm wrong, i just got confused.:think

No I didn't use a BPDC at all, Row 14 is a wrong side row and that makes row 15 a right side row so the FPDC is done on the front of the slipper. I'm not sure how you'd end up having to do a BPDC to make it work. My only guess is that your row count is off, starting at row/round 7 all 0dd numbered rows are the front side and all even numbered rows/rounds are the back side. Can you post a pic? Then I could try to figure it out by looking at it.

Archived