snowman ornaments

yarnlover66

Here is a picture of my snowmen ornaments I just made. You had to crochet around a styrofoam ball and then stiffen it. Once it was dry I had to use my crochet hook to stick inside and grind out the styrofoam ball. You pull the chunks of styrofoam out through the holes in the snowman. That took longer than the whole crochet process. :lol BUT they are so cute. I love how they turned out. I think I might make these for my office mates for Christmas in ISU Cyclone colored hats and scarves.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/thread%20crochet/?action=view&current=mythreesnowmen3.jpg

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/thread%20crochet/?action=view&current=mythreesnowmen2.jpg

Your snowman are just adorable! So very professional looking. Can you share where the pattern came from? :think I wonder if blowing up a balloon to the right size and then crocheting around it, stiffening and then popping the balloon would work.

Teresa - is your company hiring? I wanna be your office mate. :devil

They are adorable. They could be easily adaptable to different sports/school colors. How cute!

Debbie

uwcheese

I am trying to figure out how you were able to get all of the styrofoam out of there without stretching the thread... That is patience!!!

Very cute. I love the color of the hats and such.

Just a thought, but have you tried a balloon instead of a styrofoam ball to stiffin?:think I know you said you crochet around the ball, but can it be done just by crocheting then using a balloon to stiffin?

Just a thought.

Really :manyheart your little snow men. You did a great job on them

I wonder if you could use the plastic or glass balls so when they need starched again the ball would be there:think Of course there would be starch on the glass.

sondra

bvhttp://crochetadventure.8m.com/ this is the source of the pattern. I made all of these in the past two years ,last year I made one for each of my 11 grandchildren, their five parents, my mom, and my BIL and SIL in addition to a couple of members here in the ornament exchange. I did them with the styrofoam balls without having any trouble with removing them. I am sure the balloon idea would work but the ball worked for me. This is a quick and fun idea...

I have not done what you have done, but instead of the foam ball. Put the snowman:sman in a bowl of stiffy or starch, let sit a while then take it out. Carefully squeeze out excess liquid--stiffy,, then put a balloon inside of your ball and blow it up. Take it outside to dry. In the shade like on your porch...Then pop the balloon with a needle. I put my doilys in the car to dry, but its hot and your ballooon would probalby shrink- before your snowman :sman would dry. I think in the shade be best. This way sure beats getting out the foam ball with a :hook hook .

That took a long time I'm sure....

Here are the snowmen:

http://crochetadventure.8m.com/snowmen.html

ANGELFIRE are you making hats and scarves for your snowmen? What colors?

It wasn't hard taking the styrofoam balls out at all. Just a little time consuming. I wasn't complaining! :) You just stick your crochet hook in and grind it around. The ball comes out pretty easy. It looks like snow coming out of your snowman.

The ladies that I work with suggested a balloon to me. I think that it wouldn't work for several reasons. The balloon has give and probably would lose shape during drying. Also trying to crochet around something that is squishy would be hard to keep your tension. Or there is the possiblty of poking it and popping it with your hook. The styrofoam ball method I think works the best. Having the hard ball kept my stitches very uniform.

When drying you stick three straight pins in the bottom of the snowman into the styrofoam ball so it stays up off of any surface while drying. That way you don't get glue residue or a flat bottom on your snowman. You couldn't do that with a balloon. You wrap the styrofoam balls with saran wrap so the stiffener doesn't stick to the ball.

While crushing out the ball my snowman never lost shape. It is really stiff. I used Aleene's Fabric Stiffener. Good stuff. The hats and scarves are not stiffened. They are left soft and loose.

If someone tries the balloon method let me know how it works. I would use white balloons. I'd be afraid of the colored ones staining your white thread.

I'm not doing the ornament exchange. I made these for the State Fair. I took them down yesterday to be judged.

I'm not doing the ornament exchange. I made these for the State Fair. I took them down yesterday to be judged.

I knew that you were making them for the state fair:manyheart and when I received your e-mail with the pictures thought they were wonderful. I was joking about the ornament exchange.:blush

I made hats for each snowman depending on which grandchild, I made an apron on my mom's , capes on my grandaughters, top hats on the adult males and stocking caps on the grandsons in school colors or the colors of their hockey team.

Taking the styrofoam out is time consuming...but like you, I like the ball for keeping my tension correct while crocheting them. instead putting pins in the bottom I actually used shishkabob(sp) skewers in the bottom of each and hung them upside down to dry on metal hangers.after drying them my hubby dipped them in polyvarnish because some were going to Florida with the humidity...silly but he tried to help

Thanks Angelfire. Your snowmen look wonderful too! I never thought about capes and top hats would be great because then they'd look even more like snowmen. Ladies at work think they need wiggly eyes. I didn't want to do that to these ones. You could dress them anyway you want really. I'd love to see a picture of your snowmen dressed.

ANGELFIRE:

I went back and looked at your snowmen again. You said that picture was taken while they were drying. I'm confused?>!:think They already have the ball out of them...why were they still drying? What are they hanging on?:)

They are cute!

I did some thread ball Christmas ornaments several years ago and the pattern was for two HALVES of the ball - each starched over a halved styrofoam ball and then the halves were glued together. May be a little easier than digging out the styrofoam....I dunno.....

ANGELFIRE:

I went back and looked at your snowmen again. You said that picture was taken while they were drying. I'm confused?>!:think They already have the ball out of them...why were they still drying? What are they hanging on?:)

:eek oops wrong picture, that is the picture from an ornament exchange post last year...now I have to find the correct one:blush it isn't saved in my photo bucket

Archived