Greetings from Al Asad Air Base in Iraq

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is crazy. I was stationed at Al Asad back in 2003. It is such a beautiful place!! I am from Connecticut and was attached to the 3rd ACR. It has been a long time. One of my friends is stationed there right now.

Good luck man, and come home safe.

Patterns strewn everywhere :gallery

Digging out yarn without care :yarn

Finding a hook that makes a stitch :hook

according to gauge without a hitch :2magic

Settling down to crochet for a few :coffee

Using my free hand to wave to you! :waving

Welcome to Crochetville from Charlotte NC! :cheer

Thank you for being there! :manyheart

• 1 month later...

Wow!! What a special thread. I can't say enough about how proud I am of our armed forces and what they give up on a daily basis to protect me and millions more they have never met.

I am thrilled you posted here and was able to connect with your wife. Hugs to both of you :hug

This just makes me so proud to be an American :manyheart

For 9-11, this was our commanders message to our unit here in Iraq, I omitted names...

its a PG-13 rating, for those sensitive types

Today is September 11th, 2007. It's been six years since we were attacked. In my humble opinion, your mission is righteous and just; hunting down and killing the murderous bastards that would destroy our Nation, our way of life, and our families is the right thing to do. I can think of nothing more honorable than sacrificing on behalf of and protecting our American Brothers and Sisters who rest easy today because you are on the front line of our Nation's defense, acting as their guardian. Col MXXXXXX and I are inspired by your dedication, your self-sacrifice, and your volunteer service. We are very proud to serve by your side - when our Nation needs us most. You are America's next "Greatest Generation", and when I'm lying on my death bed, surrounded by friends and family, I will warmly recall the days we spent together in Iraq - defending America. As you conduct your mission today, take a moment and pause to remember our fellow Americans who perished in the September 11th attacks, and our warrior Brothers and Sisters from all Nations who made the ultimate sacrifice on the field of battle. Godspeed to all of you, and our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines who have answered the call to duty. God Bless you, your families, and the United States of America.

WOW

I've heard 'speeches' like that before in movies and on tv shows, but to know that those words were said today really hits home. I can imagine how many times words similar to that were said today.

Thank you for sharing that with all of us.

I have a framed picture on my wall that someone created on their computer that shows an eagles head, and in the background stands the twin towers. It will remain on my wall until this house turns to dust. If the picture fades, I will make print out a new one and replace it.

I didn't know anyone personally who was lost in the tragedy, but they all will remain in my heart forever.

My prayers are with you and your family for your safe return. I do hope you will share with others you are stationed with just how proud we all are of you guys and gals. You taking the time to be here and to post to your wife just makes my day. God Bless both of you.:hug

:manyheart :manyheart :manyheart :manyheart :manyheart:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug

Our love to you both!!! How great that the "ville has brought you together - that is soooo sweet for you to find each other here - now I am a puddle - Anyways - we support you in all you are doing for our country and keep up the work and come home SAFE!

May you both be blessed with a most happy reconnection and reuniting together and also some moments of relaxation!!!

We ALL are just so thankful for what you have and are doing there ESM - that goes for all the troops you serve with - we SUPPORT you and have the utmost respect and the offering of our humble "thanks" for this hardly seems enough! But each day of freedom and democracy we are priveledged to enjoy - we owe to you all - and I offer a collective thank you from us at the "Ville"!:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

• 3 years later...

Archived