Sugar and Cream-where do I pull from? I just made a nest out of one skein.

boo1

I really like the cotton stuff, but HELP! My husband is getting tired of untangling my messes. :eek

I may not be a huge fan of RH, but at least they tell you where to pull from!

I have a hard time finding a center on those also. I usually just pull & end up untangling my mess. But you could either use the outer string which I don't like because it doesn't flow. Or you could use the outer string & roll it into a ball first which is a bit easier when you're using it. Hope this helps & if not I hope someone else has better advice. :)

Good Luck! :cheer

I have a hard time finding a center on those also. I usually just pull & end up untangling my mess. But you could either use the outer string which I don't like because it doesn't flow. Or you could use the outer string & roll it into a ball first which is a bit easier when you're using it. Hope this helps & if not I hope someone else has better advice. :)

Good Luck! :cheer

Thanks! I think I'll use the outer string and roll it into a ball. Or start buying the cones! :hug

I use the outer string and place the ball of yarn in an unused trash can so that it can roll as I pull. This way, it doesn't run away from me.

I use the outer string too. I have a couple of those Yarn-tainers (I think that's what they were called!) from JoAnn's - it's just a plastic jar with a hole in the lid to string your yarn through. The ball can bounce around in there as you pull the yarn and it doesn't get dirty.

of the cone. Is that where I start?

I picked up a couple at Wal-Mart last night. Was thrilled to find a color other than white or ecru.

Thanks in advance! :)

With the cone, you will find an end somewhere on the outside . The one on the bottom is the one they start wrapping the cotton around the cone, so you will not be able to use it.:hook

For my fellow Sugar 'n' Cream lovers, I thought I'd post my grandfather's suggestion for keeping my small balls of S&C yarn free of my nephews curious (and often dirty) four year old fingers in hopes that it might help someone else keep their stash clean and organized as well! :)

I suppose this could work well for any small ball of yarn, but I like to use this solution for my cotton stash. :yarn

To keep your balls of S&C yarn clean, untangled and ready to go for use in the next project, the next time you have an empty spindal and plastic cover from a stack of blank CD or DVD-ROM's, keep it!

Use a standard drill to carefully drill a hole in the center of the cover. Next, place your ball of yarn onto the center of the spindal's post and feed the working yarn through your hole in the cover. Lock the cover in place and you have a low-cost easy to create solution for tangle free, dirt free yarn storage!

These can be decorated any way you choose or simply left plain. I like to decorate mine personally. :)

To take this one step further, you could also purchase some skid proof drawer liners or bathtub appliques at the dollor store to glue onto the bottom of your newly created yarn protector to keep it from moving around while you work.

I hope this helps!

To keep your balls of S&C yarn clean, untangled and ready to go for use in the next project, the next time you have an empty spindal and plastic cover from a stack of blank CD or DVD-ROM's, keep it!

Use a standard drill to carefully drill a hole in the center of the cover. Next, place your ball of yarn onto the center of the spindal's post and feed the working yarn through your hole in the cover. Lock the cover in place and you have a low-cost easy to create solution for tangle free, dirt free yarn storage!

what a GREAT recycling tip!!! :cheer

• 4 weeks later...

To find the end in the center of the Sugar'n Creme or Peaches & Cream balls, put a couple of fingers in the ends and rotate them around to stretch out the space (think of how you "roll" your hands over one another when you sing children's songs like Wheels on the Bus. That's what you do with your fingers in the yarn)

Once you have that space opened up, you can feel around and look inside to find the end. Often it will be peeking out of the layers, but even if you can't see it, you can almost always feel it. You can also use your hook to sorta probe around in the layers until you find the end. The center really opens a lot and you can see all around inside.

• 5 years later...

To find the end in the center of the Sugar'n Creme or Peaches & Cream balls, put a couple of fingers in the ends and rotate them around to stretch out the space (think of how you "roll" your hands over one another when you sing children's songs like Wheels on the Bus. That's what you do with your fingers in the yarn)

Once you have that space opened up, you can feel around and look inside to find the end. Often it will be peeking out of the layers, but even if you can't see it, you can almost always feel it. You can also use your hook to sorta probe around in the layers until you find the end. The center really opens a lot and you can see all around inside.

This worked perfectly! I would rather just find the inside end and start my project than have to roll or untangle. Thanks! And FYI: It came out of the top. :)

I usually dig around the inside to find the inner string.

Now when I have a small amount on the cone, I use the ball winder.  It makes for less space then keeping it on the cone.

Now another way to keep your yarn out of the hands of little ones, or animals that like to play with balls is:

If you have an empty coffee can, clean it out good and let it sit for a day or two, then put a hole in the center of the lid, use a small grommet to cover the hole, now you have a nice size thread or yarn container.

Now another way to keep your yarn out of the hands of little ones, or animals that like to play with balls is:

If you have an empty coffee can, clean it out good and let it sit for a day or two, then put a hole in the center of the lid, use a small grommet to cover the hole, now you have a nice size thread or yarn container.

You can also use an oatmeal box, but it's a little large for cotton yarn.

Archived