FINISHED! - One-Color Freeform Baby Blanket

yarnmom

After months of working on it 5-10 minutes at a time, I finally finished the pink baby blanket/playmat! My 7-mo loves to play with all the baubles and rings on it, but as you can see in the picture below, my older daughter just likes to snuggle in it!

playmat1.jpg

Large view

playmat2.jpg

Detail view

playmat3.jpg

Yet another perspective

playmat4.jpg

Older daughter snuggling with the blanky

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've been patiently waiting to see this completed and i am pleasantly suprised by what i see. after seeing your older dd wrapped within it, i was really surprised how big it it! great that both the girls love it. maybe we will see a second one? lol. looks fabulous. i like how cos it's all one colour it's the stitches and styles that become the feature

Wonderful piece! Do you belong to the Yahoo free form group? If not, you ought to look into it. They would love to see this.

Jean

I hadn't heard of that group, but I'll have to look into it! Thanks for the tip!

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback!! It's my first large freeform piece; mostly, I've just done hats before...

I love it! That is really beautiful. :cheer:clap:cheer

Do you just make a bunch of things & sew them together? :think I'm not sure how freeform works but that is stunning. :cheer

When I've made hats, I just start crocheting any which way and with whatever stitches, yarn, and direction that I feel like. When I do it this way, my work tends to naturally become a circle which works for a hat, but I didn't want the blanket to look like that. So, I made lots of different motifs (some large, some small; some from patterns; others I just made up as I went) and crocheted and/or sewed them together.

It was great because I have lots of pattern books and stitch encyclopedias, and this gave me the chance to experiment with different stitches and pieces of patterns. For example, you might recognize a large band on the blanket from the cover of the April/May issue of Crochet Today magazine(http://www.crochettoday.com/articlepage.aspx?articleid=114)!

Thanks again for all your compliments - I had fun doing it, but now I'm ready to rejoin my other numerous WIPs!!

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback!! It's my first large freeform piece; mostly, I've just done hats before...

When I've made hats, I just start crocheting any which way and with whatever stitches, yarn, and direction that I feel like. When I do it this way, my work tends to naturally become a circle which works for a hat, but I didn't want the blanket to look like that. So, I made lots of different motifs (some large, some small; some from patterns; others I just made up as I went) and crocheted and/or sewed them together.

It was great because I have lots of pattern books and stitch encyclopedias, and this gave me the chance to experiment with different stitches and pieces of patterns. For example, you might recognize a large band on the blanket from the cover of the April/May issue of Crochet Today magazine(http://www.crochettoday.com/articlepage.aspx?articleid=114)!

Thanks again for all your compliments - I had fun doing it, but now I'm ready to rejoin my other numerous WIPs!!

Thank you for taking the time to explain it, I appreciate it. :manyheart I might just give freeform a shot. Thanks again for the info & advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived