Grams to Yards Formula?

charkitty

Question

16 answers to this question

I could be wrong, but I don't think there IS a formula for converting grams to yards, because it depends upon the weight of the yarn. It seems to me that a 50 gram ball of a fingering weight yarn is going to have a lot more yardage than a 50 gram ball of a heavy boucle or rug yarn. I'm sure if I'm incorrect, someone will set me in the right direction. :)

Elle

Grams are a measure of weight, like ounces or pounds. Yards are a measure of length like inches or feet; so there isn't a simple conversion from grams to yards.

There should be a chart that lists approximate yards per gram of specific weight groups of yarn. I'm half asleep and can't find it right now. If you need to know how many grams of a specific yarn you need to buy to get enough yards to make something, you really need to work gauge squares and multiply. Make a square from a known amount in weight of the yarn, then measure how many yards you used.

i found that problem recently with Aunt Lydias Caress Microfibre. it wasn't on the wrapper but when i looked at the coats website it was listed there! try other avenues. maybe even online yarn stores would list the yaradge even if the wrapper doesnt. as Elle said, weight of yarn varies greatly so length would too

Grams are a measure of weight, like ounces or pounds. Yards are a measure of length like inches or feet; so there isn't a simple conversion from grams to yards.

That's true, you can't convert weight to measurement.

You could, however, measure out some and weight it and then do a little math.:eek It's not so hard if you have a scale that is sensitive enough.

Doesn't it give an approximate yardage or meter length? Usually yarn gives ounces (or grams) and yards (or meters).:)

I'm having this same problem. lol I really want to make the flannelghan pattern listed here on the 'ville but trying to work out how many balls I'd need in the UK to equal the 5-7lbs of yarn most people have used is proving difficult (at least for me) because I can't get the brands of yarn everyone is using in order to compare yards/metres. Does any of that make sense?

:cheer There is not a really easy way to work out yardage from weight because, like someone else said, it totally depends on the thickness of the yarn.

Here is a link to a site where you can work out Metrics to Imperial and the reverse.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

There is 1.76 ounces to 50 grams.

You can get a bit of an idea on length by looking at the size of the ball of yarn.

A 50gm ball or Eyelash type yarn (50mtrs) looks much smaller than a 50gm ball of 8ply acrylic (155mtrs).

The suggestion to measure some of the ball and weigh it is good but the room for error is greater the smaller the amount you measure but at least it would give you a bit of an idea.

You could then allow a little extra to be safe.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I'm having this same problem. lol I really want to make the flannelghan pattern listed here on the 'ville but trying to work out how many balls I'd need in the UK to equal the 5-7lbs of yarn most people have used is proving difficult (at least for me) because I can't get the brands of yarn everyone is using in order to compare yards/metres. Does any of that make sense?

Yes, unfortunately, this makes sense to me! LOL!

Have had the same problem.

charkitty

I believe most folks were using Red Heart worsted for the lumberjack flannelghan.

Per the coats & clark website, 16 oz [one pound] (453 g), approx. 835 yd (763 m) (Red Heart Super Saver)

So, you can figure how many skeins of your favorite brand of worsted weight yarn you need.

The actual pattern called for 2 pounds each of 2 colors of WW to make a blanket 4 1/2 x 6 feet. So, you can extrapolate how much you will need for the size you want. 5-7 pounds must be for a bedspread size.

Dear Charkitty,

I agree that it is important to know the yardage. You can find this out by going to the yarn makers site or to:

http://www.yarndex.com/

Why do you want to know? Are you going to substitute a yarn? If yes, then it is a very good idea. It would be so annoying to run out of yarn. Do you have a specific pattern in mind?

Let us know if you need some help. :)

Parisjem

I think what you do (if you're following a pattern) is to make sure you have the yardage, so if it comes in meters, you have to convert to yards.

Dear Charkitty,

I agree that it is important to know the yardage. You can find this out by going to the yarn makers site or to:

http://www.yarndex.com/

Why do you want to know? Are you going to substitute a yarn? If yes, then it is a very good idea. It would be so annoying to run out of yarn. Do you have a specific pattern in mind?

Let us know if you need some help. :)

Parisjem

Thanks, Parisjem. Just seems like a lot of yarns lately list grams instead of yards on the label. I find myself either over or under-buying yarn.

charkitty

Let's say a pattern asks for 10 grams of dk weight yarn. Find out which yarn you want to use  or one that is similar as long as it has the total grams and feet on it for the dk type of yarn. Divide the amount of grams needed by the total amount of grams in skein. 3.5 oz is 100 grams and 10 divides into 100 evenly and equals 10 grams. You take the 10 grams and divide it into the total amount of yards per skein: So take the total of 227 yards and divide by 10.  It equals 22.5 approximate yards. You can round up to 23 yards to be safe. So you need 23 yards to equal 10 grams.