Mill End? What does this mean?

boo1

Seconds. Probably not quality controlled. So the mill ends might not be up to the company's standards.

Of course, my crocheting isn't up to many standards either! :hook

But the fact that the yarn is mill ends doesn't affect the quality or durable of the item made with it? I have considered buying it before b/c I can get yarn I couldn't otherwise afford but would like to know about that issue before I do. Thanks!

:hotI buy mill ends whenever I find them and the quality has always been fine. Occasionally a skein will have some knots, but I just cut those away and keep using it. I found some last week at AC Moore for 3 bucks a pound. I love mill ends.

susan

I always thought that mill ends were the ends of the yarn that were not long enough to make one full skein without having to put knots in it and combining two or more strands to make one full skein. I could be wrong though.

ditto...i have ordered the Caron mill ends from their website and would not consider them seconds at all, just skeins smaller than one with a wrapper stuck into a plastic bag that makes about a pound. you don't get to choose the yarn from Caron but I love all their yarns and have been pleased with EVERY pound they shipped...for $3.49/lb i would never complain!

I have some mill ends from Red Heart. Some of the skeins seem to be pretty knotty, but that can be worked around. Others are odd size skiens or discontined colors. Some of mine seem to be seconds because of quality issues (meaning the pink that I was using for a blanket was definately off from the color you get in the store, but if you buy enough ahead of time knowing that, then there's no problem.)

Where is everyone finding their mill ends?

I know caron sells them on their website. I bought the RH at a local shop where RH mill ends is all she sells.

Mill ends are just yarns that are not long enough for a full skein. They are not seconds, but just as good quality as the store yarns.

I'm getting 24 bags of the caron mill ends tomorrow *monday* and I can't wait.

Thoe sadly, none of them are for me... well they could be... but then I would have no yarn to sell at the shop.

i just found some mill ends (it say famous makers odd lots on the label)

But in small print at the bottom of the label it says caron international, inc. So I am guessing they are mill ends. The size is 3 ounces, I think a regular size skein from caron is 6? I rolled them up and they didn't have any knots, just smaller than regular size. I found them for a $1 at good will yesterday so I am not complaining. :)

Hi Everyone,

I have been selling Caron Mill End Yarn off and on through eBay and have never had a problem with this type. 1-lb bags of Caron Mill Ends will vary in color,type, put-up and skein count...but each bag will equal 1-lb and sometimes a little over. I mostly have gotten, 4ply acrylic worsted weight, simply soft yarn and once in awhile a baby yarn.

CL

simplycrochet

I stand corrected. I always thought mill ends were seconds. The few that I've come across seemed to be of poorer quality, thus my conclusion.

I have to agree with Jldozer on the Red Heart Mill Ends. I have bought and sold their mill ends and came across a few skeins that where burnt,thin,a total tangled up mess, some not usuable at all and had to be thrown away. I have also gotten some that was just perfect. Over all I like Caron Mill Ends the best. That is just my opinion.

CL

simplycrochet

Our AC Moore has different brands of mill ends. The Caron plant is a few hours from here and the other brand seems to be from Canada.

I like the bags of Simply Soft. I picked up a few during the $3 sale last week. The other brand has various weights and colors. I have a bag of dark green that is fuzzing like crazy. It's hideous - I don't know what I was thinking :).

The other brand has various weights and colors. I have a bag of dark green that is fuzzing like crazy. It's hideous - I don't know what I was thinking :).

LOL! Well, you could make one of these with it.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/PATTsurf.html

(knit pattern sorry :lol )

I really miss the AC Moore mill's end bin. :( (the store near me closed)

Then again maybe this is a good thing. I *have* to get rid of some stash!

Neat thing though, found this and it has some of the same kind of bags that they sold

http://www.shopcaron.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=219

I bought mill ends from various textile factories up here in the North Country back when my kids were little; they were the ends of the cones that were too little left to do the next weaving. A very inexpensive way to buy wool. They would occasionally be unloaded at various Goodwills as well as at their outlet places. Haven't done this for a while, but that's what I thought "mill ends" meant!

Archived