Big Sisters and Brothers needed for Special Needs Youth

losingmymind2

Its not hard to become a big sister but we do have some paperwork involved. First you need to join our yahoo group. I try to watch for new members and see if they mentioned wanted to be a big sister, but sometimes I miss that. So if you joined wanting to be a big sister, send me an email so I wont miss you. I do have a form for you to complete and although some of the information is similar such as name and address on this form wa ask about your likes and interests so when you get a little sister she knows what kind of things to make or send to you.

After I receive your form I will send you the list of little brothers and sisters who are waiting . You get to choose the one you want. If I see somethilng in your infomration taht I know would be of interst to a certain gilrl I mention that in my email with the list, but its still your choice.

I also have some girls keep asking for a big sister and really want to communicate so I may mention them too. Its still up to you. You use whatever method you want to choose your sister or brother.

Some people chose by interest. Maybe she likes rubber stamping, or cats or maybe she likes to read the same kind of books yiou do, or maybe likes the same kind of music. Maybe she reminds you of your children or a friends children.

Being a big sister can be fun, come join us.

Natalie

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will think about being a big sister. It's a real committment and I don't like saying I'll do something unless I'm sure I can follow through.

I was blessed to help a friend of mine who is challenged learn to make baby quilts. Hers are as good as any I've seen.

Mary

Mary I recommend joining the group at least.. that way you can more clearly see what this group is all about... there are several members who are not big sisters or they share a little sister with someone else... whatever you can do to help these young people is appreciated... I'm on Social Security so I could never spend a lot of money but the couple dollars a month in postage... most of the things I get for my lil sis I pick up at the dollar store or I make her things and send them.. a doily, a necklace.. little things like that... mostly they just need love and encouragement...

Thanks Shelley, you are so correct. Even sending a card to them or an ecard. Maybe even a phone call if you have long distance and they can talk on the phone, Some use instant messenger to talk to each other.

You can request a girl who has phone access or can communicate by email and we will try to find one who does . You can also ask to share a sister with someone else

I agree join the group its enligthening to see what theses girls can do. Look at the photoes and all the happy smilling faces.

Natalie

• 2 weeks later...

Gily is a wonderful young lady - she graduated last year and is attending a vocational program this year for youth with disabilities. She always has a smile and a hug when you meet her. Her parents were born in Israel and her grandparents still reside there. She attend a 4 week camp every summer focused on her faith. Developmentally she is about a ten year old - and is able to do about 2-3rd grade reading and writing. She is wonderful with the loom, and knitting, her father was taught to knit by his Grandmother in Israel and is able to help her - she is trying her best at crocheting but it is a little harder for her. She is going to attend the Great Knit and Crochet - Knit Out at the Mall of American in February. She is so sad when the other Angels hear from their Big Sisters could one of you find a place in your heart for her. We do want you to write once a week and send a care package once a month, and Gily will contact you at least once a month if not more. You do not need to be Jewish, her parents said that did not matter, but I just thought if we had any Jewish crochetvillers you might especially enjoy sharing your mutual beliefs. Please come to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OurSpecialAngels/

or write to Natalie above if you have time and would like to make a life long friend.

I sure am hooked!

Hi all, I am a member of Our Special Angels. I also have a Little Sister. it is easy to have a Little sister. All i do is look for her is send heran ecard or cute card from a the Store and send it to her. I will also send her some thing for her Birthday and a something for Christmas. We only have to send money several times a year for them to go a Special place or for them to go some where special.We also send a Goodiebag once a Month with little things in it. Everytime I cut my computer on and chat with her mother she has a Picture on it of her. she is a really cute and smart young lady. I am reallt enjoying being a Big Sister to her.

Why don't you come and be a gig sister and see how much fun it is?

It's a lot of fun! I'm still learning about my little sister, and enjoy chatting with her Mom too. :) I like to be able to send her things that she can use with her crafts too, which helps keep my stash a little more under control, since she likes to loom knit. :)

Victoria

One of the girls i my group just loves having a big sister. She is always thinking of her. She makes cards and jewelry and even loomed her a hat ankd asked fo rher address to send it too her. She has welcomed her Big sister as one of her family. This young lady can talk and write altkhough not on an adult level. She can be a joy to spend time with. All the girls can communicatte that well but some can. But however they communicat ethey enjoy getting email, ecards and snail mail.

Wont you be a big sister to them?

Natalie

we still have young folk that need big brothers and sisters... we are having a good time making stuff for the Angels North's craft shows in March... so why don't you come check out the yahoo group if you would like tot help out a very worthy cause....

• 2 weeks later...

An Angel Named Laura.

Laura is 19 years old, and is a proud senior in High School. She loves to knit, loom and write. She is very good on the computer, and is pretty good at emailing, as long as you are good at figuring out her spelling. . . it is usually a lot like it sounds. She loves animals, and does some pet sitting for friends in our neighborhood. She loves spending time with her friends, and feels so grown up going out to lunch. She enjoys movies, and knows more about actors and what they have played in than anyone I know. Having a Big sister would be good for her. She enjoys having adults in her life. It makes her feel even more grown up. She wants to learn to purl, and has made 100 loomed hats for the premature infants at TTT.

Laura is a very special young lady - she was born with a genetic heart problem and received a transplant last year - and has done ever so well with it and taking her medications. We are all so proud of her she is a real sweetheart. She does email and want so to learn how to IM - maybe that is something she can do with her Big Sister?

Tovah is a wonderful little gal of 16. She has big blue eyes and long blonde hair. She is very shy, and so very polite. It takes her most of the afternoon to be brave enough to talk. With some one on one help Sunday afternoon she was able to make her very own bag. She even printed her own name and attached to the bag - so all would know it was Tovah's. She is just a doll, who happens to have Down Syndrome - and joy and compassion in her heart. Another gal is the group is blind and has Autism - Tovah is always on the watch to help her or offer to push her wheel chair. Would you not like to welcome this little Angel into you heart, by writing her and helping her with her projects? Just write to ourspecialangels@comcast.net and join us is sharing our yarn - 0 - holism with these wonder young people

I am so "Hooked" !!!!!

We have a little contest going on at our Special Angels - the crocheters versus the loomers, knitters, and embroiderers. We are trying to raise a little money for the Angels to continue their crafts, as you can imagine keeping 40 plus youth supplies with yarn and various craft supplies can get a little spendy - so the Angels have been making purses and the "things" that go in them - (cell phone holders, chap stick holders, key rings, sun glass holders, etc.) to sell at an area boutique. So we have a contest going which crafter group can make the most for the sale - well the loomers are ahead by a mile - can you help us - like to crochet bags and such things? there are some great patterns right here on crochetville - even one for Nemo! Come join us and help us take on those other nasty crafters! We can show them can't we????

Hooked forever

Hi! I hear the crocheters are losing this contest! HA!

That's GREAT about Tovah learning the embroidery machine AND her wanting to help that other Angel. Give her a hug for me!

NKE

I will try again. I am having trouble posting here today. I am one of the Lovely Loomers team and yes we are ahead and we are not finished yet. We are still making things. Those other teams need to be busy to beat us and its the crochet people who offered up the challenge to us. I have seen some beautiful crochet things that he girls could sell in their boutique.

Even though I am on a different team we combine our efforts to help the kids. Even combined items are good, Sew an item and crochet the handle. Crochet the item and add lining or accessories that are sewn. Come join us. Lets use all our talents to help the angels.

Natalie

The next few months we will be focusing on knitting and crocheting as part of their effort the young ladies are going to have a boutique and features the items they made and any others we can gather - this will be a major fundraiser for the young women - as you can imagine it takes a lot of yarn for 30 plus girls - if you have extra (smoke free) Yarn - perhaps 2-3 matching skeins that you could send our way - or any extra items that you have been making this cold and snowy winter - please send out way - we need items by April 1 - will take anything that sells well at bazaars and if you have a pattern to share with it (not copyright infringement please) please send it along so the Angels can try to make a few as well - they have asked us to bring 300-400 items for the boutique and we are only about half way there - the girls are so excited as they just attended the great American Knit out this past weekend - thanks you for caring - hooked forever

Hi all! Why not come join our little group/family and use up some of that fabric and/or yarn y'all have laying around (and we KNOW you do<G>!)!!!

We're making purse or 'like' accessories for the Angels to sell at boutiques throughout the year to get themselves a multi-needle embroidery machine.

Here's the link to the blog:

http://360.yahoo.com/our_special_angels

Come and join the FUN!

Nancy

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all.... the Special Angels are still looking for caring individuals who would like to help in a worthy cause... Please check us out ... maybe you can make a diffence in a young person's life...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OurSpecialAngels/

come check us out...

Archived