Big Sisters and Brothers needed for Special Needs Youth

losingmymind2

I appreciate all the people who joined and became big sisters, Most of the girls have at least one big sister. Some would like to share but we have one who does not have one at all. Would you consider being her big sister so she does not get left out of all the fun? Big sisters are now sending their little sisters emails, snail mails, packages and phoning them or IM them. Some are building nice friendships. The little sisters even made special gifts for their big sisters in their meetings this month. The young lady who needs a Big sister is 18 MS is new to our program and we are just getting to know what she likes, She is however involved in gymnastics and bowling as well as the angels, She fits in well with our group but we sure dont want her to feel left out of the Big sister program.

If you can help, join our group and mention that you want to be her big sister, I will send you the info and you can sign up and start enjoying your little sister. Natalie

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are growing. The young people in our group are having so much fun. Their contributions to charity these last few month have been wonderful. Blankets, hats, socks, toys, all sorts of things have been made by these wonderful special needs individuals. Each one doing their part and they are so proud that they can help. They could educate us all with their joy and eagerness to give back to others.

This weekend is their Christmas party in both locations, The girls will be eating at a restaurant with all- you- can eat food, and receiving a gift. The dinner and gifts made possible by their big sisters. Some of the young people in this group have the opportunity to eat at a sit down restaurant but many dont have that priviledge. They have limited finances either due to family situaitons or the expense of their special needs. Eating in a restaurant with friends and receiving a gift brings them so much joy.

Big sisters receive email, letters or even phone calls from little sisters and they make a little gift for them in their meetings. They enjoy sending and receiving mail.

We dont thlink about it sometimes when we get mail that sometimes they dont get mail of their own One young lady who has down syndrome starting getting mail ,little cards etc from her big sister and now she likes getting the mail and opening the ones that are just for her. She gets ecards now too and the big smile on her face as she sees the ones specifically chosen for her (they have cats or dogs on them). Its all worthwhile to see their simple joys.

With more new members we need more big sisters. Will you consider being one too? I am the Chairman of the big sister committee. Contact me for more information.

Our Big Sister Program is different you can live any where and your little sister can live anywhere - and you can still be best buddies! We need you! The Best present these kids could get for Christmas would be to have an adult in their lives to care about them, write to them and send them little gifties. What do you have to do just send me a note on here or at specialangelssouth@comcast.net and we will set you up. We ask that you make contact once a week through snail mail or by telephone - most do not have email access, and that you send a small care package once a month. Can you do it - do you have a few minutes a week to reach out to one of these special needs youth? I will put a write up together and post it shortly so that you can see if one of these youngsters will pull at your heartstrings the way they have pulled at mine! I am truly hooked!

Stephanie and Holly are twins with Down Syndrome.

Both girls are in the mid to late twenties, and very active

Stephanie - loves the color blue and her favorite music is country.

She enjoys watching television and movies. Her favorite craft is scrap booking. She has long hair and loves to put combs in it. While she does not have pierced ears she does enjoy wearing bracelets and necklaces. She really likes Hannah Montana and loves to real magazines about country stars. She functions at about 8 to 10 year - with some skills in the early teens.

Holly - also loves the color blue and has pink in her bedroom. Her favorite music is Keith Urban and Hannah Montana. She loves necklaces and is allergic to most perfumes and lotions. She enjoys scrapbooking the most and collecting Hannah Montana things. She functions at about an 8 to 10 years level.

Both girls would love to have someone to write to - they live together in a small group home of four girls. They are smart, bright and energetic

If you might like to be Big Sister to one of these girls and share you crafting abilities please contact ousepcialangels@comcast.net or specialangelssouth@comcast.net

A Big Sister would be a wonderful Holiday Gift

Hi Everyone! Hope everyone had a terrific CHRISTmas and that Santa was good to you and your family!

Speaking of being good........I wanted to let you all know that with a little extra support from people, the Angels recently sent approx 6 boxes of supplies to the reservation that they support! Isnt' that wonderful?

Makes some Special young people feel like worthwhile human beings while feeling good, also, about being able to help others........

What a wonderful way to end the year...! :clap

Anyway, hope everyone's lives improve in 2008. Maybe we could all just win a little of those lotteries that're out there<G>? I sure wouldn't turn down a windfall!<G>!

Bye now

Nancy

Thank you Nancy yes these young folks sent over six huge boxes of supplies, baby clothes, hats, mittens, blankets, bibs, stuffed animals, and much much more - and it was all each and every item something that they had made - I wish they could have been there to see the faces of the little ones when they opened the boxes. Tomorrow I will list some of the angels that need big sisters to help them - try to think if you could be a sponsor - someone who writes and sends small care packages once a month we could sure use you - thanks

I thought I would share with you two of the boys that are waiting for Big brothers or sisters. Boys seem to wait forever, maybe if you are a mom of a boy or a big sister of a brother, or have a husband, uncle, grandfather that might like to partner up with a new pal this would be perfect for them

Brian - was born in October of 1973. He loves chocolate and pizza and his favorite color is yellow. Before his daddy died his father worked for John Deere so his bedroom is decorated in John Deere things and he collects them when he can. He loves fishing, listening to stories and listening to country music. He is saving his money to buy more things for fishing. Brian has Down Syndrome and has FAS. He is a real sweet heart and has a crush on one of our girl angels! I will write more later about Jeffrey. Brian fuctions about at a 8 to 10 year level.

Jeffrey was born in November of 1978. His favorite color is black. He loves country music and most foods. He loves mountain dew at cappuccinos! He loves to make cards - and maybe he could make the cards and His big sister could make crocheted book marks to go inside? He loves belt buckles and collects them when he can. His favorite singer is Pam Tillis. Jeff is very high functioning - it is not known if he has any mental retardation because his Fetal Alcohol syndrome interferes so much with his learning ability. He is very sweet and very attached to his family although he lives in a group home now. He would love to have someone to write to and send his cards to that he makes. If you would like to sponsor this young man and help him to make new friends through crafting please contact specialangelssouth@comcast.net or join our yahoo group.

Thank you for caring!

I am Natalie and I am chairperson of the Big/Little Sister program. I get to see the contact betweeen big and little, I hear form the Big sisters how they enjoy getting to know their special girl.I hear form the Little sisters when they get a card or letter from their big sister. And at Chrilstmas they were thrilled to receive a present. Some got handmade backpacks, purses or sweatshirts. Others got crocheted scarves or hats. Big sisters are sharing their talents with their little sisters and Little sisters share their with their big sister. One of the Little sisters likes to make jewelry and made her big sister a necklace in her favroite color.

There are so many ways you can help these girls and most times its something that is is is a little thing, but to them is big. Somebody cares about them, somebody is interested in them. Are you that somebody? If so contact ourspecialangels@comcast.net or specialangelssouth@comcast.net for more information.

Thanks for helping

Natalie

Suzanne is 27. She has Cerebral palsy and is wheel chair bound. Her favorite color is purple and she likes music form the 50s. She likes picture books and any kind of movies but most especially Elvis. She collects asian dolls and anything with Elvis, If you gave her anything a t shirt book, etc with elvis she would be thrilled. Any Elvis fans out there that would like to share their love???

We have 8 new angels in our group that need big sisters/brothers. I see some are responding and joining but we need more. If you join and the one you read about it taken ask about the others. We have many stories like these. Most of the little angels are easy to please and just hearing form you or receiving a letter is thrilling to them. Making them a card and maybe enclosing something you embroidered in it is exciting to them. They may not be able to tell you that, but their caregiver may be able to share it with you. I know one of my girls does not talk but i try to tell her big sister about the big smiles, thumbs up or yeahs I see when she gets a letter or card from her.

Group leaders also have been helping the girls make cards and thlings for their big sisters when they come to meetings. There have been some really special things made and they love making cards for you.

Come join us and put a smile on someones face.

Natalie

Cheri Lyn is 26 and has down syndrome. Here favorite color is Blue and favorite music is country, and she likes Little House on the Prairie movies. She likes books with animal stories in them and she likes to use stickers to make things. She collects Precious moments things. Cheri has been quite sick over the last couple of years but is doing much better now - she is a real sweet heart and would love to be a little sister. She would love to receive mail and would apprciate any little things that were given to her.

Hi all! OurSpecialAngels needs some crocheters to join our group!

We're looking for crocheters that would like to help the other crocheters in our group to crochet purses that the Angels can then sell at an upcoming (early March/2008) craft show for needed supplies!

Can you help us out?:cheer

Come join the fun!!! Make new friends!

THANK YOU!

Nancy:clap

Hi,

I just went and applied for membership of your yahoo group. This is a wonderful thing ya'll are doing!!!

I also have a special needs son. Jason is 24 years old and is on the level of a 12-14 yr old. He is so sweet, but can be a little devil sometimes too, lol. Jason is classified as mildly mentally retarded but manages very well and has his own home. We purchased a mobile home and set it up on our property. This way, Jason has a feeling of independence, but yet Mom and Dad can keep an eye on him and help when needed. I thank God every day for Jason and know that things could have been alot worst for him than they are:))

I am praying about becoming a big sister. I am asking God to make me worthy and to give me the strength and guidance to be a good big sister to one of these special young folks:)

I'm looking forward to helping out and learning more about this project.

Hugs,

Betty in TN

Jason sounds just like my daughter who is 25. She even got her permit but can not be fully independent needs a helping eye - we had thoght of making her her own apartment in the lower level of our house so she could be independent but still have someone to call on for help when she needs it - maybe the two of them can become email friends

Hi all! OurSpecialAngels needs some crocheters to join our group!

We're looking for crocheters that would like to help the other crocheters in our group to crochet purses that the Angels can then sell at an upcoming (early March/2008) craft show for needed supplies!

Can you help us out?:cheer

Come join the fun!!! Make new friends!

THANK YOU!

Nancy:clap

Do you have a pattern for the purses? i have never tried making purses but am willing to give it a try if I have a pattern to go by:)

Hugs,

Hello to all my fellow c'ville friends.... Carmen, Debbie and I are co-chairing the "Happy Hookers" crochet group at the Special Angels group.. if you have any questions you are more than welcome to PM, e-mail, IM me..

We are looking forward to having many new friends on our Team... please come on in and join our group ... if we get enough we are going to put a challenge out to all the other teams...

The Angels are great... I have a little sister... and I love hearing about her activities and sending her little things... we write and e-mail and just enjoy the contact...

Your little sister was not there this week - as she went to visit her Aunt in Georgia, so you wont be getting a thank you card, this week dont feel bad we will help her get one made and off to you as soon as she is back - she is such a sweetie and did you see she was on the front page of the web site?

Thanks Shelley for sharing your experience with being a big sister. Its good to hear that side. I have four daughters all with speical needs and all in Our Special Angels South. They each have a big sister and I see how they feel when they are contacted. One gets ecards almost every day, another gets cards or little gifties. Sandy enjoys sharing with her sister as Sandy makes jewelry and who is the first person she thinks of sending it too, Why her big sister of course. And her big sister praises and encourages her to continue.

As a result her jewelry has really improved and she has even sold some of the pieces. You can just see her beam with a big smile when she knows people like her work. This may all seem so simple and it is easy to do. But the results are huge. I can tell her all day she does a good job but she is used to me, let he big sister tell her its good and thats a huge compliment.

YOu can be a big sister too. You can put a smile on someones face just by sharing your talents your life your good wishes and encouragement.

If you want to be a big sister join our group and let us know you want to help, We would love to have you.

Natalie

Abby: She is 36, reads on 3rd or 4th grade level. Abby would love to have a big Sister, someone who would like to write to her, and visit with her on the phone or howevr. Likes Christian books, she also likes country music Her favorite color is blue and her favorite food is spaghetti. She has a twin sister Betsy and I will write about her this weekend.

I went to my other groups and posted a message about Our Special Angels. We still need big sisters and brothers but we also need other help, Help with supplies and people to crochet or do other crafts and make things we can sell. I am copying that post here as it may help you know us better and if you want to copy and paste it to any other gorups you are in that would be great too. Sometimes they have an extras stash of yarn or other supplies they can donate and an added benefit is they get a tax letter for their donation.

Do you know that being a big sister can count toward your volunteer hours if you work for an organization that credits volunteer hours? Do you know that if you need it even the little gifts you send to little sister can get a tax letter. All you have to do is ask us for it. And if you donate crocheted itmes for us to sell that counts too. Its tax time, many will be thinking aobut those things. Thanks for your help.

Our Special Angels,

This group was formed to assist disabled young people grow and flourish through the art of crafting. They have learned to crochet, knit, loom, guilt, rubber stamp and machine embroidery. They have learned so much and are proud of what they do. We are a 501c3 non profit and could use your help in a number of ways.

1. If you have supplies you dont need you can donate to us and get a tax receipt, yarn, fabric, fleece, flannel, cotton, sewing supplies, embroider machine supplies including bobbins. thread and designs. scissors, scrapbooking supplies, most any craft things you have floating around your work space.

2. We have a big sister program where we have each girl with at least one big sister, or brother, (we have 2 young men in our group) The big sister/brother writes or sends cards or ecards to their little sister/brother weekly and a care package monthly, Care packages can be small, maybe something you made for them, even crocheted bookmarks or things for their room A few times a year the big sister/brother helps fund a small outing for them in their group, At Christmas it was a gift and dinner at an all you can eat restaurant. They sure loved that. We sitll have 8 who need a big brother or sister Any men out there interested in our boys, Would you or your husband be interested in doing this? You men dont have to do a craft just share your interests with him. One of your young men loves to fish and loves John Deere tractors. Now that should not be hard to talk about should it. Just share your intereests and I am sure theirs will be similar.

3. We are trying to raise money for the groups to have the supplies they need and cant get donated and have meaningful activities, We have asked our group members to make things and donate so that we can sell to raise money. The young people will help sell these and learn valuable expeience there too, Do you crochet, knit, sew, loom, make jewelry? Most anything, We are trying to focus on purses, totes and things that go in them and things for pets. But can use other things as well.

HOW: You can do this by joining our yahoo group, yahoo.com/group/OurSpecialAngels and let us know how you want to help.

We have two locations. If you want to send items or supplies and not be a member you can send them to:

Our Special Angels

Pamela Reinert

6922 East Fish Lake Rd,

Maple Grove, Mn 55369

or Our Special Angels South

Natalie Manfull

4020 Lake Acworth Dr,

Acworth, Ga. 30101

You need to be a member to be a big sister, But I would recommend being a member either way, That way you can see the photoes and hear of all the activities the girls do and it will be more meanful and satisfying for you.

We will send you a receipt for any and all donations. And tell your friends and other groups about us. This group of young people is doing some amazing things. Come join us.

You can email me if you have any additional quiestions. I am leader of the Southern location.

Natalie

I was listening to a couple of the Angels on Saturday chit chat - and

they were talking about how they are going on vacation this week -

and asked me if I knew if they had BIG SISTERS yet as they wanted to

send post cards from their vacations - SO IF YOU HAVE BEEN THINKING

OF SIGNING UP AND ARE MAYBE JUST SITTING ON YOUR PAPERWORK PLEASE GET

IT IN TODAY you do no know how happy you would make these girls -

both are into beading and paper crafts/rubber stamping - And one

loves looming and running the embroidery machine! so holler at

Natalie - don't you just love me Nat??!!?? Thank you all for having

so much love and caring - Pamela

Archived