Big Sisters and Brothers needed for Special Needs Youth

losingmymind2

I am in the group now:clap :clap :clap

I am going to join the bis sister program and also make some small holiday themed things to send in for them to put on there baby hats. I know snowflake and small crochet is to much for most of the girls but I can whip them out quite easily. I am super excited to get started. Let me know what yall are doing.:cheer :cheer :cheer

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the group. I'm sure I'll see you there.I'm there most of the time<G>! Thanks SO much for the tiny things you'll crochet to put on the hats. That's MUCHLY needed right now<G>!

I'm in the process of trying to get a newly acquired embroidery machine and my computer talking to each other so I can transfer designs. Do you do other crafts besides crochet?

I haven't crocheted ANYTHING (!!!) in probably 4 yrs (since getting seriously hooked on machine embroidery!!!)...but starting to miss it. I started a poncho as a gift for a friend way back when and have half the back done. Gotta git er done!

WELCOME!

Nancy

Debora, your little snowflakes would be perfect to dress up the hats the Angels are making for the babies. I don't do thread or thin yarns well enough to make em, but I bet you could give them a blizzard of little snowflakes for the hats.

Hi Simone here - I wanat to tell you all thank you so much for helping to make things for the hats and slippers - just little crocheted snow flakes or anything reminds you of christmas then we can use and color yarn or fabric and it will still be a christmas hat

Hi all..how is everyone doing? We've been meeting alot of you over at our yahoo group. Glad to see you there. We still have about 40 Angels needing Big Sisters so come on over! Join the fun!!! Come be a part of our friendly family!

Hope to see you there!

Nancy/Presiden

I started making crochet santa hats for yall. I have made up a pattern and they are super cute. I can change it a little to make newborn size or preemie size. Very easy and fun. I hope to get one a night after work while watching TV. Thats the goal anyway. This is so much fun.

HI, I am Natalie and I have a little sister. Her name is Rosa and I know you have heard from her, She is such an amazing young lady, My girls and I made 12 fleece hats for her this afternoon, to help her out. Some of the girls cannot crochet so they use the crank type knitter or embroider machine or sew or serge. All the girls are making some nice things and learning so much. A little sister maybe someone who never got mail all her own, With a Big sister writing to her she can get her own mail and packages. That is thrilling for them, Or maybe your Little sister likes to email like Rosa does. I love getting her emails, I feel like part of the family and you will to.

I want to thank all those who have come to join us, we still need more but its so good to see new people come willing to be a Big sister to a special young adult.

I want to thank all those who have joined our group and especially those who are going to be big sisters. We also have some who are making things for the angels to put on their hats or making hats for the Christmas Hat Challenge. We need more for both but I am thankful for the response so far. We will be sending out the list of available girls to those who inquired soon so you can pick one who matches your interests.

Thank you, Natalie, Chairwoman Big/Little Sister program, Our Special Angels

Thanks, Natalie, for letting us know about this group. I have sent in my application to you and hope that I will be able to send a friendly note to my new little angel soon!! I am making hats too, and soon I will be able to send them to you. :c9

Hello I am Rosa and I am an angel - I am blind but I can hear really well - and I love to crochet and loom and use the rmbroidery machine - we just sent off two huge boxes of baby hats and blankets for teh babies that are born too soon - did you know they are called premies? Thank you for helping us - we have 20 angels in our chapter here in the north - and we set a goal of 1000 hats in Christmas colors - if you can help us in any way we would appreicate it - we need christmas colored yarn, and ribbing and fleece - you are all ready helping so much - I was told I will very soon get my own bis siter so I am very happy - thank you Rosa

Congratulate the Angels for me

Yesterday we sent off two huge boxes of wonderful little things for TTT - the preemie babies.

5 of our angels made their goal of 100 hats - they were really busy all summer - I think they must have slept with looms in hand

1 angel serged 134 blankets

1 angel serged 100 baby tote bags

and we had lots of tens and 20's and such - they all need a big whee!!

Over the summer we do not have the weekly formal meetings but rather get together whenever 2-3 call and want to meet - and we have even had a couple of adult only meetings - (well except for me as it was at my house - lol) which was really nice. And cut and serged and so on. Last fall Keiko from Alaska sent us her "OLD" serger she said been moving from house to house with her - and crying for lack of love - it is a singer - don't know how old - 3 thread - but we had it tuned up - it is all metal - and I tell you it hums along like you would not believe. We choose projects that are straight lines - for example the blankets that Simone made - for summer were made from cotton fat quarters - two placed wrong sides together and serged around all four sides. I know for you sewers that might sound easy but for our Angels just getting the edges to meet can be a challenge - if you have spastic CP, are blind or face other challenges.

I guess what I am saying is I could not be prouder of them - this was a good 4-5 months of work - but wow what a job they did. Ok enough of my soap box <<GG>>

Just had to share

Pamela

PS some have asked how much does it take to make the hats

4 ounces of 4 ply yarn will make 10-12 hats crocheted or loomed

2 fat quarter squares will make one blanket

one yard of fleece will make 15 hats

right now we are focusing on Christmas colors in fabrics and yarn

Hi! Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to all the Angels for doing such a wonderful job and to YOU for being there to help them!!!

I wanted to say I'll be sending you hats cut out of red and some white fleece and also some white knit that I bought for that purpose. I'll embroider on them for you and then the angels can get more serging time doing up the seams alright?

Have fun and hugs!

We are getting ready for a craft sale - and hope to make this an annual event - we are not sure we have enough items to sell - and wondered if anyone might have anything to send our way - you will receive a tax deductible receipt for the donation - and you will also know that your gift will help these young folk continue for another year. We are also wondering if anyone might have one of the larger lighted crochet hooks - they work really well for the visually impaired angels - and our one angel broke hers - I would have bought the replacement for her but our Joann;s only has a size C and D and she needs a J or K - I looked at Joann's on line but the shipping is more than the price of the item - and it is very light weight - please know it would be greatly appreciated.

HH

I met Natalie (Angels South) and her four daughters yesterday for lunch. We had a great time and I loved spending time getting to know them better. I feel like I understand the group so much better. If anyone is a member I would highly recomend a visit it makes such a difference. We ate and talked for almost 3 hours then went shopping at K-Mart. It was great fun. Cant wait to come back!!!!!!!!!

Deb you are so lucky I am hoping to go to the National Emb conference next Spring in Georgia (if I can find a way to pay for it) and stay with Natalie. Remember everyone and anyone is invited to attend one of our Minnesota meetings - we have our fall kick off August 22nd, and then will begin meeting weekly starting on September 15th. The way we support this group is thorugh a couple of large craft sales so if you have any crocheting, or anything hand made you would like to make for us we would be ever so greatful and you would receive a receipt for you tax purposed - please PM me or Mtnmama if you would like more information

Hi deborah!

That's great that you got to meet up w/Natalie. SOME lifetime, I'd like to actually meet Pamela. We've known each other 2-3 yrs now and have still to meet!

Nancy

My girls and I really enjoyed meeting up with Debora. We had a long talk and she got to know the girls better and they got used to her. They enjoyed the extra attention and told her all about their lives and the things they are learning to make. We met at Ryans for lunch and then went to Kmart to shop.

I look forward to the day she can come again and maybe join us for one of our meetings. I know the girls will be so comfortable with her having already met her.

Anybody else form the Southeastern part of the United States want to come visit just let me know its so great to see the faces that go with the names We are not far from Atlanta and the joke is you cant go anywhere without going through Atlanta. (well at least not by air) seems everybody gets a layover in Atlanta, I think we will have to lay over in Atlanta to get to Heaven.

And if you do machine embroidery their conference in the spring is in Marietta and that is very close to me. Be nice if a lot of us could meet then, Come see us

Natalie

Archived