Lacy version of traditional granny square

tcarebear

Question

Hi everyone!! I'm new here. Sorry, but I have to be kind of brief, I don't have a computer at home right now so I have to do this while I'm at work. Anyway, I hope everyone is having a fantastic day, and I also hope you can help me out. I'm looking for a lacy version of the traditional granny square. Not any of the fancy squares that they show in any of my books, just the regular granny a little more lacy. I've tried to figure out how to do it myself but it always turns out all crazy and messed up. Please help!!

Thanks!!

Jessica:)

14 answers to this question

Thank you! Yeah, I looked in cpc, but they don't really have anything as far as traditional grannies go. I love the plain granny squares, I was just looking for something a little lighter and more open for summer.

I just tried and tried to come up with a more open granny and couldn't figure it out. I tried to do one using v-stitch and using dc with ch 1 spaces and just couldn't ever get the increases at the corner right. I hope someone comes up with something! Grannies are so nice for baby blankets if you don't know how far your yarn will go or if you're not sure what size, you can just go until you run out of yarn or it's big enough!

The question of a more open granny square stuck with me for the last few weeks while I did not have computer access. I just now saw Empress's last post with the 3 open grannies--those are all very pretty. I did some experimenting and came up with a couple of things that I thought were interesting enough to post. These have not been blocked so they are not totally square.

I started with the idea of a granny using groups of four double crochets, and if you take out the middle 2 dc in each group, you instantly have a more open design. You can add a few 4dc groups to make it more granny-like. (thumbnails are clickable)th_100_2418.jpg This one is just like a regular granny except I left out the 2 middle dc in each group and chained 2 instead (except the 8 spots where I used 4dc group as you can see).

th_100_2411.jpgFor this one I did half as above and half in something like filet, by making the double crochets into the dc on previous row, instead of between them--similar to the filet granny that Empress posted. For the first 5 rows i made the corners like a regular granny, and then I switched to open stitches. Well, i am not good at describing this in words but hopefully the pictures are self-explanatory. Here is the half and half square turned different ways so it might be easier to seeth_100_2419.jpg

th_100_2420.jpg

I used the basis of 4-stitch groups because I thought having 2 center chains would stand out more than 1, but you could do the same thing with a 3-stitch pattern. I did the corners with 3 chains, and there are 2 ch between the dc.

Well, nothing too exciting here, but this was an interesting experiment to me and maybe it will help somebody else, so just thought I'd share.

I'm glad you all like the squares. I really don't plan to use them for anything---I'll add them to my swatch file. I do want to start an afghan using about four different squares, so working on these helped me think about that.

Archived