Pip stitch

beyondallmeasure

Question

I have a pattern (I can't figure out where I saved it on my hard drive right nowhttp://www.crochetville.org/forum/images/smilies/scratchhead.gif :think) that calls for a pip stitch. It does not include the instructions, but rather a link to directions and the link is broken. It is driving me crazy that I don't know the stitch. I even googled it and got a lot of stuff other than crocheting! Has any one ever heard of this stitch? A link with instructions or a description of how it is done would be great.

8 answers to this question

I vote for something picot related, too.

Either as an abbreviation, or b/c a "pip" is an orange seed, and a picot looks kind of like an orange seed.

I found this at ebay: Annie's Special Stitch Place Settings (with Zigzag Pip Stitch)

Does anyone have this book? I am not interested in the patterns, just the stitch. would it be a infringement to share the stitch instructions? I thought about buying the book, but it would be $5 for patterns I would never use... just to satisfy my curiosity about a stitch.:no Plus I avoid Ebay! :eek

I have found a bunch of references of the Pip stitch as a KNIT stitch, and found instructions. Maybe you could work with these instructions and work out something that would work? Sorry, I don't speak knit ;).

Pip stitch (work over 4 sts. + 3):

Row 1 and row 3: purled stitch.

Row 2: * p3 tog., in the next st. k1, p1 and k1 *, rep. from * to *, p3 tog.

Row 4: * in the same base st. p1, k1 and p1; p3 tog. *, rep. from * to *, in the same base st. p1, k1 and p1

Row 5: rep. from row 1.

I found this for knitting terms...it seems to mean finished edge...

Free Prime Rib (Brioche) Tea Cosy Pattern

Note: When you are working the holes for the handle and spout slip the first

stitch of the rows knitwise to create a nice pip selvedge. ...

megan.kiwi.gen.nz

I found this for crochet...so it proves it is also a term used for crochet...

eBay: Annies Special Stitches Place Settings Crochet Patterns ...

Ripple & Summer Zig-Zag Pip Stitch! Crochet booklet is in "Excellent" condition

from my mom's collection! She numbered the patterns on the outside cover as ...

cgi.ebay.com

Then...this is a meaning for pip...so could it refer to the seed stitch???...

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source

pip3 premium.gifthinsp.pngspeaker.gif /pɪp/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pip] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.a small seed, esp. of a fleshy fruit, as an apple or orange.

Archived