Tips to stop thread from twisting?

KF-in-Georgia

Question

I'm crocheting a table runner (filet crochet) using a size 10 Metallic Knit-Cro-Sheen (a thread that has a metallic thread twisted into it). Thread coming off the ball is twisting horribly, and in this kind of thread it's very obvious.

Periodically, I've put a stitch holder in the loop on my hook, then dangled the piece and let it untwist. But the piece is getting too heavy to untwist properly, and now just hangs at the end of my very twisty thread. I'm on the 4th row, and the pattern calls for 29 rows, so this twist in the thread is going to be a constant nightmare.

Anyone with any tips for preventing the twist?

9 answers to this question

Kathy, it's usually in the way you crochet that does that. In the beginning when I worked with thread, mine would twist horribly, like you said. It tightened up so that it would curl into itself. Very frustrating. My problem (and I'm not saying it applies here) was holding the thread too tightly, so I was basically straightening out the normally twisted strands of the thread as I crocheted, so the yarn that followed was taking up all the twisting (does that make sense?). Now, I crochet with thread more loosely, and the problem has disappeared. Don't know if that will help or not. I can sympathize, though. I still don't like working with thread, but it is getting easier. :)

HHrrmmm , Selune,, I think I will try that. I have this same issue as well, but never thought much about it. Thanks!!

Is it the thread or the metalic stuff giving you a hard time? I find using DMC thread, better quality, & using embroidery thread (you can use any color & they sell metalics too) as a "filler" right along with the thread. It helps to use good quality thread to start with. I hope you can figure it out.

Eileen

:cheer It is all in the way it comes off the ball.

My husband made me a holder which looks a little like a toilet roll holder which stops the thread coming off the top of the ball. The whole ball rotates which eliminates the extra twists.

Works wonders.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Thanks for the suggestions.

I already have a thread holder my father made for my mother some time ago. It's a toilet paper holder mounted on a small wooden block. That wasn't solving the problem.

I tried holding the thread more loosely. That was a great deal of help, but I still was faced with too much twist in the thread.

But my thread work was a bit erratic-looking, loose stitches and tighter ones, and the final straw was that I screwed up the pattern. (I had the wrong number of blocks at the top, and no way to "grow" an extra block so the checkerboard board would come out right.) So I ripped out the whole thing (25 rows, the whole pattern is only 29 rows) and started again. This time, since I was working with thread I'd rewound, there was very little twisting.

But I've screwed up the pattern again! (I keep forgetting those little filled blocks at the beginning of a row...the blocks that make up the checkerboard border. By the time I spot the error, I've worked two rows.) I could fake-fix it, but I'm not in the mood to try to do that on such a simple piece. I want to get it right!

So I'm taking a break. I'm going to work on a needlepoint project for a day or two, then come back, rip out rows 5 and 6, and soldier on.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I hear you. It's frustrating to have to rip out something done in yarn, but having to do it with thread makes me want to cry. :)

Hi,

Not too sure I'm getting what you mean but if a ball of thread is twisting as it comes off the ball I find unraveling the ball completely and then rolling it up myself loosely a big help. Or alternately you could unravel the ball and using your elbow ( like you would wind a garden hose) wind it in to a hank. Hope that helps:)

Archived