Wire Bead Crochet

kvinna

Hi Everyone! Just a question, has anyone here used one of those little gizmos to crack wire into the shape of an I-cord? Would that be good to embellish the handle of a crocheted handbag?

Thanks! :)

Cloty

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I love to wire crochet and have done several jewelry pieces as well as some other things. I'll have to dig for pictures to show-n-tell sometime. I enjoy working with it as much as I do yarn...well, depending on my mood, but it took me awhile to get used to it.

I'm sure there are other people out there that know more than I do on this subject, but here are some of the things I learned when I first started crocheting with wire (some were previously stated in this thread):

• Use a thinner wire, such as 28, 30, 32 gauge. I have found that I like 30 best. If it hurts your hand or is difficult to wrap around the hook, the gauge is probably too large. Try going for something a bit thinner, especially to start out with.
  • Don't invest alot of money into wire at first, until you get the hang of it. You can get wire very cheaply at Hobby Lobby to play with. Try copper instead of silver to start. It seems to bend more easily.
  • Once you know its something you'll stick with, try Artistic Wire. I saw a post in this thread wondering where to purchase it. I've only ever been able to get it online. The link is: http://www.artisticwire.com/. It's definitely worth the investment if you find you really enjoy crocheting with wire.
  • If using beads, thread them onto the wire before starting. Be sure to put on plenty to get you through your project.
  • Practice with thread, if you're not used to something thinner than regular yarn to get a feel for a smaller hook and smaller "fiber".
  • Relax. Learn how to hold the wire comfortably so that it flows smoothly.
  • Frogging is NOT a good thing when it comes to wire. :)
  • Have fun! :hook

• 1 year later...
I'm using 32 gauge for a beaded bracelet I'm working on. It's slow going because the wire gets twisted and kinked really easily and I have to put my work down to unkink it.

I wouldn't recommend using anything larger than 26 gauge wire to crochet with~~and that's starting to get stiff due to its weight.

Hi, a trick I use to keep my wire from kinking when I'm working with it is to get a small square box with a top that is larger than the spool my wire is on. Half way up the box I punch 2 holes oposite each other on the sides. I run a dowel through the holes adding my spool on to the dowel as I do so. Secure the ends of the dowel with large clips or tape or anything else that will keep the dowel from sliding back into the box. Make a hole in the center of the box lid and run your wire out through there. The spool spins on the dowel as I use the wire and it keeps it from kinking. Hope it works for you :)

• 6 months later...
Hi, a trick I use to keep my wire from kinking when I'm working with it is to get a small square box with a top that is larger than the spool my wire is on. Half way up the box I punch 2 holes oposite each other on the sides. I run a dowel through the holes adding my spool on to the dowel as I do so. Secure the ends of the dowel with large clips or tape or anything else that will keep the dowel from sliding back into the box. Make a hole in the center of the box lid and run your wire out through there. The spool spins on the dowel as I use the wire and it keeps it from kinking. Hope it works for you :)

Great idea. I'm going to use it!

Hi Everyone! Just a question, has anyone here used one of those little gizmos to crack wire into the shape of an I-cord? Would that be good to embellish the handle of a crocheted handbag?

Thanks! :)

Cloty

Interesting idea. I've never thought of doing that. I'm wondering if it'd create a stretchy kind of handle? Most of the gizmos I've seen are plastic, so one might have to create the older kind we made as kids -- a wooden spool with desired number of small headed nails. On the other hand, where does one find wooden spools? All the thread I see lately is on plastic spools.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum. I can't believe how lucky I was to stumble across this site.

My question is how to end a wire/beaded bracelet. I like the way the bracelet turned out, but now I don't know how to get a clasp attached to the ends of the piece.

Hope someone can help me.:)

Jeannes12

Hi everybody!

I am new to the forums and am hoping you can help me. Just started working with crochet and wire with beads.

One of the many books I have purchased is Crochet with Wire. I am finding that some of the directions are slightly lacking just small points which are crucial. Either that or I am losing my mind. (entirely possible).

Has anybody here who has this book tried the pattern "Winter Trees Necklace and Earrings" on page 47?

I just can't seem to figure out how to start row two from the directions provided. It could be that I have done row one incorrectly.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Rachel :)

• 8 months later...

I just made my first crocheted wire bead necklace today. I love it. I used 28 guage on a sppol and kept it running under my leg so that it was taut and that kept the kinks out. I had an abalone pendant that I centered and then had silver and different shades of green stones and beads. The biggest pain was getting the two sides even. Be sure to leave a very long tail of wire in case you have to go back and add on the beginning side.

• 1 month later...

Archived