Wire Bead Crochet

kvinna

I have seen wire crochet jewelry and I am definitely interested in trying it out. I almost bought supplies the other day, but I was unsure about what kind of wire I should use. The wire I saw at Michael's went by a weight measurement - does this have to do with the thickness of the wire? Does it really matter if I go for the 26 instead of the 15?

My friend wants me to make her a bracelet so I am going to add the beads and make a chain long enough to fit around her wrist. As for the clasps...:shrug Do I need wire cutters and all that?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

That's something I want to do, too. The larger the number the thicker the wire, from what I remember. I think 22 is considered about the thickest you can work with without destroying your fingers. Do post a picture if you get the bracelet done.

That's something I want to do, too. The larger the number the thicker the wire, from what I remember. I think 22 is considered about the thickest you can work with without destroying your fingers. Do post a picture if you get the bracelet done.

No, the larger the guage the thinner the wire. It's backwards, I know, but what can you do?

I've done some jewelry making with wire crochet, working with the thinner wire is best, and your fingers will hate you for a while. That wire can be hard on your digits! My advise would be to make sure you thread enough beads on your wire for your project, but that you measure the worked piece very well. It's easy to make something too long and you can't really frog it. I've had to cut each bead off a bracelet once because I didn't measure correctly.

• 4 months later...

I've wanted to try wire crochet for a while, but it looks awkward. Let us know how this goes? Its always nice to hear about others' experience with something like this...the web sites I've seen certainly make it SEEM easy enough.

The lower the number the thicker the wire.. You would not be able the crochet with 15 gauge wire. I have a hard time shaping 14 gauge wire...

To start out with I would use 22 or 24 gauge..

I've just recently started making crocheted wire necklaces and bracelets. Here's a link that tells you what gauge is good for what. http://www.beadaroo.com/library/tips/view.php?tip=wireuses It says that 28 and 30 are the better for crocheting. I prefer the 28. 30 and 32 break easier, too. Anything thicker is hard to run smoothly over the crochet hook. The wire works on your hook terribly, so you might want to use an older hook. Sterling silver is the best to work with. Anything else tarnishes, and it's hard to polish wire once it's crocheted. LOL. I tried it, and it made a mess. Also, use different sizes of beads. A great variety looks really nice. I use crystals, glass, cat eyes, seed beads, and drops. It's lots of fun.

• 1 month later...
I've just recently started making crocheted wire necklaces and bracelets. Here's a link that tells you what gauge is good for what. http://www.beadaroo.com/library/tips/view.php?tip=wireuses It says that 28 and 30 are the better for crocheting. I prefer the 28. 30 and 32 break easier, too. Anything thicker is hard to run smoothly over the crochet hook. The wire works on your hook terribly, so you might want to use an older hook. Sterling silver is the best to work with. Anything else tarnishes, and it's hard to polish wire once it's crocheted. LOL. I tried it, and it made a mess. Also, use different sizes of beads. A great variety looks really nice. I use crystals, glass, cat eyes, seed beads, and drops. It's lots of fun.

Oh, Kristina! I would love to see pictures of your wire jewelry! :D

I have been crocheting with wire. I use patterns like granny square or anythng I think would look good. Do mostlly earrings. I found if you make a mistake just go on. Alomost impossible to rip out. Also you can not hold the wire like you do your thread or yarn. I have made several pairs of earrings. I also aldd beads to some of them.

I know not crocheting but I also knit with wire. It is also very interesting.

One more thiing on crocheting with wire . The simpler the pattern the better. I have also taken the snowflake patterns and used them. I found if you use your imagination and experimnent with the wire you can learn alot. I am self taught in this. I have learned alot by trial and error. But very much enjoy worrking with wire.

Rosemary

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought Crochet With Wire and it has been helpful but I've learned most of what I need to know on line.

Where do you guys get the wire? I've heard a lot about Artistic Wire but can't find it in any generic craft stores. Do I need to look at a bead store? My HL and Michaels have very little selection of higher gauge wires in anything other than brass and gold colors. Any advice as to where to get sterling silver wire?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just googled into this thread and I thought I would let you know a few places to purchase wire for crocheting.

Santa Fe Jewelers is a good place to buy in bulk

http://www.sfjssantafe.com/

WigJig is a good place for hard to find shapes and sizes

http://www.wigjig.net/store/index.htm

Wire Sculpter is a place for medium orders of wire

http://wire-sculpture.com/wholesalecloseouts.php?type=main&cat=Wire

MonsterSlayer has the very thin wires at good prices the first link is for copper and brass wire the second is for the sterling silver wire. I use that to practice with. When I have the technique down pat then I use the sterling silver wire.

http://www.monsterslayer.com/miscpages/Cop&BrasS&W.htm

http://www.monsterslayer.com/MiscPages/SilverBG.htm

I hope this has helped :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, another thing to know is if you are going to crochet with silver wire, it is best to do it with Fine Silver wire. This is .999 percent pure silver. It will tarnish much slower than .925 (sterling silver) and is much easier to work with. I use a steel crochet hook #5 to crochet with and find it the easiest. I have also used a steet #8 and gone as large as an aluminum E hook. The best way to poslish crochet silver is to tumble the piece in a tumbler for about an hour. It won't hurt the beads you use either, unless they are amber or another very soft bead. If you are not sure, just tumble one bead in with something else you are tumbling and then you will know if it is OK to do a whole piece with the bead in it :) .

• 2 weeks later...
I recently bought Crochet With Wire and it has been helpful but I've learned most of what I need to know on line.

Where do you guys get the wire? I've heard a lot about Artistic Wire but can't find it in any generic craft stores. Do I need to look at a bead store? My HL and Michaels have very little selection of higher gauge wires in anything other than brass and gold colors. Any advice as to where to get sterling silver wire?

i just got the book from my library-Ii bookmarked all the sites for wire and i am planning to read them tonite and tomorrow

the stores are located on their website-

only 2 in nyc area

• 4 weeks later...

Hi !

I was reading this post the other day and wanted to give a try to wire crochet. Ofcourse , I'm not as lucky as you all to get the supplies required...I just made use of some copper wire lying around ( I use for stocking flowers) and added on some seed beads in different clolours. Voila...I had a necklace ready in no time and I was surprised at how easy it turned out to be. I'll try to post the pictures as soon as I can get off here and take pictures .Lol !

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you really want to get started Fire Mountain Gems sells wire by the ounce

http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?skw=KWCORDSSWIREDEADSOFT&Shop_Page=2

for us knit and crochet girls at the best price I have found and then you can get enough for your whole project with out haveing to join wire (pain) I make wire jewelry but I have never crochetedwith wire I really want to try I have bought the wire but haven't tried anything yet. so good luck ;-)

• 3 months later...

If you look at post #18 you will see the links for Wig Jig, Santa Fe Jewelers and Monsterslayer. They are a little less expensive than FMG for wire.

Archived