Frilly Frocks

mare21499

Question

Hello everyone -

I just started a pattern from the Annie's Attic book "Frilly Frocks". Has anyone done any of these patterns before? I'm stuck on a row with confusing directions. Would someone like to help me?

Thanks.

Rebecca

6 answers to this question

Thank you...i'm on row 15 of the Lacy Pinafore dress (this is actually the same as row 10 which i improvised a bit). This is how it reads...

"Chain 8 (counts as first tr, ch-4), sk first ch-3 sp, *picot cl in next ch-3 sp, ch 7**, sc in next ch-4 sp, ch 3, sc in next ch-4 sp, ch 3, rep from * around, ending last rep at **, tr in 4th ch of turning ch-7, turn"

Then there are instructions for a Picot Cluster (picot cl): picot, sl st in top of last cl made.

Instructions for Picot: ch 4, sl st in last st made before first ch of ch-4.

I've done the ch-8 but after that i'm stuck. i know what a picot is supposed to look like. But what i don't get is how you can chain 4 again when you haven't made a new stitch. In other words, you're already coming off of a ch-4, so how can you now ch-4 again to make a picot. There are no instructions for making any more tr's. And then into which stitch do you put the slip stitch into? do you go backwards? or is it from a previous row? This is where i'm stuck.

do you have pictures of the dresses you've made? i've been looking at this pattern book for over a year in the catalogue and i finally ordered it, but it's a bit harder than i anticipated. i just can't get this row, the picot cluster. so any help is much appreciated.

Oh my, you're right, there are at least 2 things that don't make sense, that might be pattern errors. (I’m the one without the book, so I am just going by your post).

The thing that does make sense is "Chain 8 (counts as first tr, ch-4)” The info in parentheses is explaining the 8 chains, the first 4 represent (takes the place of) a triple crochet, the second four will create a chain space that will allow you to “reach” to the second chain-3 space in the row below. It’s not saying to chain 8 then chain 4.

I think I can help with one thing (where to put the picot) but not the other (making it a cluster):

1 - I think they omitted a slip stitch or a sc after the initial chain-8, to go into the second ch-3 chain space from the prior row. Either that, or they should redefine the picot to be “sc (or sl st), ch 4, sl st in last st made before first ch of ch-4.”

2 – The cluster is defined here the same as a picot, except it’s attached to the last picot you made. But you didn’t just make one. Where is the last picot? The only thing that would make sense to me if there were a picot 2 rows directly below the chain-3 space you just made the new picot in. Otherwise, what would happen if you just made a picot? You might have to read ahead a couple of rows.

Sorry if I could only help you part of the way.

ok, so it's not just me that's reading it wrong. i contacted annie's attic and there's a form to fill out if you're having a problem with one of their patterns...i think i'll do that. but at least i feel better that it doesn't make sense to other people. thanks everyone. if it gets resolved with annie's attic, i'll let everyone know

Oh my, you're right, there are at least 2 things that don't make sense, that might be pattern errors. (I’m the one without the book, so I am just going by your post).

The thing that does make sense is "Chain 8 (counts as first tr, ch-4)” The info in parentheses is explaining the 8 chains, the first 4 represent (takes the place of) a triple crochet, the second four will create a chain space that will allow you to “reach” to the second chain-3 space in the row below. It’s not saying to chain 8 then chain 4.

I think I can help with one thing (where to put the picot) but not the other (making it a cluster):

1 - I think they omitted a slip stitch or a sc after the initial chain-8, to go into the second ch-3 chain space from the prior row. Either that, or they should redefine the picot to be “sc (or sl st), ch 4, sl st in last st made before first ch of ch-4.”

2 – The cluster is defined here the same as a picot, except it’s attached to the last picot you made. But you didn’t just make one. Where is the last picot? The only thing that would make sense to me if there were a picot 2 rows directly below the chain-3 space you just made the new picot in. Otherwise, what would happen if you just made a picot? You might have to read ahead a couple of rows.

Sorry if I could only help you part of the way.

hi, im sorry im a bit of track, but in my country we dont get size 10 cotton thread but a size 8 whci is slightly thicker, what do u suggest!!!???

Archived