My basic amigurumi "method"

trin

417849721_fedb34dd1a_m.jpg

760475267_eb961c8032.jpg

I've had a few inquiries for my pattern... but I really don't use one, ever!

But here's a sort of "run down" on my "method"

I may eventually write a pattern, but I haven't been working from one.

I just sit down and ask the yarn what it wants to be... and sort of free-hand it from there. I have noticed certain "consistencies of method" that may become a pattern, though those vary a bit with the yarn or the size of the item.

My basic "sphere" for the head is to sc 6 in the slip knot then make sure the know is good and tight, then working in a spiral with a safety pin to show me the end of the last row...

I do 2 sc in each space on row two, then the next row it's 2 sc then in the third spot 2 sc...

the next row 4 sc between each "increase",

the next row it's 8 ... and then a row with NO increase...

then 8 sc then skip a spot for a row,

4sc skip a spot for a row, 2 sc & skip,

and then 1 sc and skip, then for the "neck" it's 2 sc per stitch,

and then I have to figure out whether that's big enough or how I'll increase for the shoulders...

BE SURE TO STUFF THE HEAD before the opening gets too small, and to stuff the torso before closing at the butt. :lol If you are using safety eyes, they should be placed and installed when the head is about 3/4 crochet, otherwise you can't fit in the washers OR your fingers.

when I get the right width for the shoulders I just continue with no increases till I hit the butt, and then figure the decreases as I go.

arms and legs are fairly variable, but I start with the same 6 sc circle, broaden as suits in the 2nd row, and then continue in a tube up to the shoulder or hip and then decrease as I find works.

feet still have a LOT of variation between one stuffy and the next, but match for the critter they're made for.

Other details, like ears I sort of figured out something I like, and vary along off of that. Tentacles and long tails tend to get knit as "icord" with a taper.

Teeth and horns and some other details tend to get made from felt and sewn on. Eyes can be either embroidered, or applied at the end, or safety eyes placed as the head is assembled. GRANNY SQUARES turned on their corners, so they're diamond shape, make great fairy/faery wings!

What I like about NOT using a pattern, is that each critter turns out differently, and has it's own personality. I can play around with proportions: Large head, HUGE head, whatever... really long limbs/baby limbs... etc.

I also find that looking at photos of baby animals is a great inspiration for proportions, ( http://www.cuteoverload.com )

When using fuzzy/novelty yarns, I find that "fluffy factor" is increased significantly by working inside out. (so that the stitch definition we might otherwise see as the "outside" becomes the inside.) For me, this is the difference between working clockwise (outside out) or counter clockwise (inside out) as a right handed crocheter.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived