Audiobooks?

I listen to audio books all the time, at work, driving, and while crocheting. I check out most of them from the library, but I have just about exhausted this source. My library participates in net library which are books from the Stqate of Texas library and I get lots of them from there as well. I think a website would be wonderful.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never done the audiobook thing and I wannt to try it before I join any sites and stuff.

you don't have to 'join' librivox. its just there for you to explore and download.

I buy audio books from yard sales and thrift stores then donate them to the library when I finish them. I see them on the shelves many times, or they sell them in the Friends of the Library sales to buy more books and audios. I check audio books out from the library most of the time, though. I always have one in my car. My DH still laughs at me, but the deciding factor in buying the car I did was that it had a tape deck and a CD player in it.

Oh yeah, I got that, I meant like the "for pay" sites like netflix but with audiobooks...kwim?

I bet netlibrary or the library one would give you a good example. They probably have the same books and the netlibrary one is free (I haven't checked it out yet, looong story). Maybe check the titles and readers, if possible. This way you can get an idea until someone can let you know. I had an offer for a free book from audiobooks with sign up, but then saw that just anyone can get 4 months at half price and that was a better deal. So if I did decide to sign up I would do that. I believe they have a cancel anytime thing too, but look more into that as I didn't. Anyone know for sure?

Debbi

• 2 months later...
Anyone try other audio book sources? I didn't sign up with audible because I didn't want to pay a monthly fee. My library has all the audio books "checked out".

Do you mean books on CD or tape? My library has books you can download onto an MP3 player if you have a library card. Is yours a small library? Can you request to reserve them when they come in. I usually listen to books while I crochet or do crafts or when I get around to it clean!:yarn

Our library now has a few mp3 books you can check out, lots of audio cds (and they're unloading, selling, a bunch of audio cassettes) They're part of net library, but so far have only purchased a few digital --text--books, none of the audio. but maybe someday, they have an endowment about to mature, and one girl said they're hoping to get some audio books on net library.

That said, I just finished "Little Women" on audio CD, and really enjoyed it. I purchased for half price the 7 book Narnia series last year for DH for Christmas. The one we have is a radio-drama type, and he's listened to all 7 twice already. It's next on my listening list. I still haven't tried librivox or the other freebies yet, though I've looked at the titles (:drool). I still don't know how I'll like the different readers in different chapters thing, but for free, it's probably a small issue, really.

HTH

Archived