Audiobooks?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought my first audiobook, The Secret. My eyes are getting older and I cant read as long as I used to. I have the tv on anyway when I am crocheting, so thought I could turn off the tv and take my crocheting and audiobook outside and get some fresh air. My only concern is my short attention span when listening to something rather than watching it. How about others? It would be fun to swap audiobooks, just like some do with written books.

Hmmmmm.......thanks, Debbie

uwcheese

audio books are a great idea, I have to confess that I listen to the tv oil painter bob ross on utube......on my earphones whilst crocheting....( I occasionaly look up and look at the paintings being produced...something about the sound of the brush and the knife of the canvas sends my brain to honey and his quiet calm style relaxes me!)

At the moment I'm listening to 'The Long Patrol', one of the Redwall books (my 3d favorite, by the way), and I'm going to start 'The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler' or whatever it is, when the Graph-ghan CAL starts.

One tip about borrowing library audiobooks (my main source): Try to borrow tapes over CD's, as library CD audiobooks do not wear well. The copy of 'Mattimeo' I borrowed stuck and stuttered in several places. The long patrol is doing better, but I think I am one of the first people to listen to my Library's copy.

Audio books are great in the car especially on long drives, but, it works well back and forth to work as well..I think a place to review these audio books is a good idea.

Great tip about tapes over CDs. Thanks!

I haven't listened to many books on tape. It's been difficult for me to find readers I enjoy, and I'm a real stickler for unabridged versions - hard to find in the audio book world.

The book I listen to on tape the most often is the New Testament. I have a set of twelve tapes with a good, calm reader and I really enjoy them.

~ Joy

We actually own only one audioBOOK. We have lots of tapes of homeschool talks and that sort of thing, but the only true audiobook we own off the top of my head is 'The Scarlet Pimpernel', which belongs to my sister. So I just borrow from the library. One other thing about CD audiobooks (if you don't mind my going off on this again), is that it is very hard to find your place if you stop them or have to take out the CD. With the Long Patrol, though (I don't know how many others do this), someone had the bright idea of having tracks every three minutes. I still think tapes work better, but at least that's an improvement.

Recently I wanted a little walkman to stick in my pocket and listen to tapes. Do you know that it was almost impossible for me to find one? I was so frustrated! After going to practically every store in town, I finally found a cheap-quality one, which I snapped up as virtually my only option.

But sometimes the older technology is better. Tapes don't skip when you move around, for example.

I've been a member of Audible.com since 1999 and can't even guess at how many audible books I've listened to but I know I own more than 200. I use my pocket pc, usually with a wireless headset. I even listen to books while I do housework - makes me not dread certain jobs. I'd be interested in a review site, for sure.

Oh, yes, I love my audiobooks. Our library has a great collection and can get many more from other nearby towns. I listen to them while I crochet and while I walk (3-4 miles a day in the summer). I've now learned how to put them on my new iPod.

The better the reader, the better the book. I have listened to all of Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peobody mysteries. These are read so well it is like being at a play. I've listened to almost all of the books about quilters by Jennifer Chiaverini. My current book is Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier. She's the one who wrote The Girl with the Pearl Earring. I'm enjoying it.

I'd love to know what books others are reading.

I listen to books on tapes at work.....bad reception on the radio

Ones I have enjoyed listening to are from Nicolas Sparks, David Baldacci

Check your public library - where I get all of the ones. You could also try a re-sale shop in Milwaukee County we have 1/2 price books

I love audiobooks. I prefer cd's to cassettes. Sometimes I have to clean CD's that I've borrowed from the library, but I've always been able to listen to them.

I sometimes buy books on CD.

Audible is a good source. I transfer those to my Palm Tungsten T3.

I've also ripped CD's, converted to MP3, to listen on an mp3 player.

Another wonderful source is Librivox: http://www.librivox.org/

Volunteers have read public domain works, and recorded them. Free. I'm slowly working my way through Moby Dick.

I love audiobooks. I prefer cd's to cassettes. Sometimes I have to clean CD's that I've borrowed from the library, but I've always been able to listen to them.

I sometimes buy books on CD.

Audible is a good source. I transfer those to my Palm Tungsten T3.

I've also ripped CD's, converted to MP3, to listen on an mp3 player.

Another wonderful source is Librivox: http://www.librivox.org/

Volunteers have read public domain works, and recorded them. Free. I'm slowly working my way through Moby Dick.

Thanks so much for that link! I have recently started listening to audio books while crocheting and was hoping to get some of those long and ponderous books that I always wanted to read but didn't think I'd ever get through. Moby Dick was first on my list!

I love audiobooks! I've been listening to them even longer than I've been crocheting. I love them whilst cooking, doing housework, getting ready in the morning, and now that I crochet - well, they go together really well. My local library loans both tapes and CDs. I listen to the tapes on a little walkman or rip the CDs to my iPod. Mostly I like crime fiction, but I also love classics - I've got a real thing for Elizabeth Gaskell books at the moment! I'm currently listening to "The Black Echo" by Michael Connelly.

I think a review site would be brilliant!

Here's a review for your site: If you've seen the Pride & Prejudice movie with Kiera Knightley, don't bother with the audiobook. The dialogue is essentially verbatim with the movie and it will be the most boring thing you've ever listened to!

...Not that I'm trying to knock Pride & Prejudice--I'm just saying, "read" the book before you see the movie and I think it will be more interesting. ;)

Oh, and I have to say this - the site is going to start out mostly children's and young adult with some classics, because that's all I really listen to. I'm going to get my sister to review the ones she listens to, also.

Adagio-

I read Moby Dick a while back. Well, actually I read more like 2/3ds of it, because I was skimming the boring parts LOL. How long is the recording?

I listen to those on road trips, where we will be in the car for the whole day. I just watch TV, or listen to it, when I crochet. But I think you have a great idea! It should be helpful to anyone who listens to books on tape.

Recently I wanted a little walkman to stick in my pocket and listen to tapes. Do you know that it was almost impossible for me to find one? I was so frustrated! After going to practically every store in town, I finally found a cheap-quality one, which I snapped up as virtually my only option.

But sometimes the older technology is better. Tapes don't skip when you move around, for example.

I recently went to wally world and got one for $4.00 they had them marked down. try there! also rite aid has them so go to the drugstores.

audio books are a great idea, I have to confess that I listen to the tv oil painter bob ross on utube......on my earphones whilst crocheting....( I occasionaly look up and look at the paintings being produced...something about the sound of the brush and the knife of the canvas sends my brain to honey and his quiet calm style relaxes me!)

The sound of the brush tapping on the canvas is very meditiative!

Adagio-

I read Moby Dick a while back. Well, actually I read more like 2/3ds of it, because I was skimming the boring parts LOL. How long is the recording?

From the Librivox site: Total running time: 24:37:50

I've only listened to a couple of hours. I DO know that after downloading it, I burned it to CD, and it took two CD's in MP3 format.

Ruth

Archived