When choosing patterns...

Krakovianka

Ewwww...I hate picots, too. Did you know what? If you take some beads and put them on your thread, and replace every picot with a pretty bead...it turns out beautiful. AND its much easier!!

:hook :hook :hook :hook :hook :hook :hook :hook :hook

[quote]If I have to do them, I modify it by slip stitching in the base stitch itself - usually a sc.[/quote]
Totally agree with you there. :yes

[quote](On that base stitch I go through the front loop and one thread on the body of the stitch - does that make sense?) That makes it firmer and neater and it is easier than going into a chain. [/quote]

Yes! That's what I do too. :hook

• 4 years later...

A lot of picots in a pattern give me pause, but I will do them. I tend not to make filets, unless they are small or done in the round. I find the large ones tend to have a lot of boring rows.

What really stops me is bruges lace. It takes so much concentration that it can't be done in front of a really good football game on TV. It's hard enough using a diagram, I think it would be nearly impossible written out. On the other hand, the results are stunning.

I think I will tackle almost anything in thread, except for a pattern that begins "chain 350".

I like doing most any stitch, but don't enjoy any pattern that has long chains. Usually patterns with long chains have large empty spaces and I'd rather a more solid look. I also don't really like ruffles because to make them perfect one must stiffen the heck out of the doily and I just don't like the look.

As for filet, well, I'll do it, but somehow I always mess up and wind up spending too much time frogging.

Oddly, triple is probably my favorite stitch. If there are lots in a row I get into a kind of "zone" and like the feeling of the wind and pulls. It's almost mesmerizing to me. Weird huh?

• 1 month later...

I don't like ruffled doilies. Have never made one, and never will.

I also don't like really repetitious patterns, as I find that very boring...with few exceptions.

I don't mind picots, have done a million of them so am used to them.

I like a challenge. Mostly I make doilies, and I like unusual ones, or ones made with motifs, because they are more interesting than many doilies.

I enjoy more advanced patterns, because I enjoy learning new things.

• 2 weeks later...

Dislike:

Ruffles

Picots

Written instructions (though I will do them)

Motifs

Popcorns (you can't set anything on the doily because it's not flat)

Maybe some other things, too, but I can't remember right now. Love diagrams! Interesting question, Karen!

I love Pineapples, so anything with Pineapples will catch my attention.

I like doing fans, so fans & Pineapples are a plus.

I like bigger doilys or tablecloths.

I'm not into dinky little doilys.

I like one piece, hate joining motifs, & will avoid them iff possible.

I don't like doing popcorns.

I don't like sc's (dc's are my favorite)

Picots, doesn't matter either way.

I must say, I'm such an addict that I will crochet just about anything, ruffles, picots, etc., as long as I like the pattern. The only thing I don't like in crochet is repetitive stitch. I will do it but I get bored and tend to take longer in finishing the project.

no motif...if i have to sew it together i won't make it. I prefer to not do too many picot stitches. I will do a 3d item if it does not need stiffening...we have allerrgy induced asthma and migranines in this house and have yet to find the stiffener that does not trigger one or the other.

This is an old thread, but it's still fun. Years later, my opinion on picots remains the same--I dislike them, and will make them ONLY on the final round of a doily. Picot-filled patterns are not for me.

Chrissy, does even corn starch cause allergies? What a shame! I am allergic to wheat, though, and if I get flour in my nose or throat while cooking (for others!), it might as well be the most potent pollen. Misery! I wear a mask to bake in...! Gotta protect myself from that hazardous material...:lol

The biggest things that 'turn me off' from a pattern would be ruffles (some vintage doily designs with those heavily starched, ruffled edges) or too many colors! I've made some of katchkan's colored doilies, and the balance is beautiful--I'll make them, but I've also seen patterns where the color is over done. If I'm going to weave in tonnes of size-10-thread tails (which none of my needles ever seem to be the right size for), they'd better be worth it. Projects with scads of small motifs have the same problem, too many tails. :) That will be taken into account into my project. I avoid baby blankets made with too many colors, or bitty motifs, for example.

I made friends with crocheting picots a long time ago...but pinning them...well, pin-blocking a doily is something my back doesn't appreciate my doing, so I'm still not the friendliest with that part of the task. But doilies are so pretty, I just make myself do it. :)

Otherwise, whichever doily, or thread, or okay, any other project catches my eye, I will probably do. :)

I haven't done any thread yet... :D but i DO love making doilies into lapghans! So I like a pattern with more density so as not to make a blanket with huge holes. I've even bought books with patterns that I think would look good!

Archived