Can acrylic yarn be used for heating pads?

Krystal16

My DD8 and DS10 are using up my scraps making striped snakes to practice their gauge and stitch counting. They are planning on donating them to the hospital with my afghans, but wondered if we could put the corn in them to make them heating pads. Can acrylic yarn be microwaved, or do I have to use cotton?

Anyone done this?

I don't really want to experment!

What a nice idea...but I do not think acrylic does well with heat. Acrylic is plastic and will melt. That is why you should never use an iron on acrylic. I dunno about cotton.

If you really want to use them that way...if the snakes are wide enough, you could make a cotton (fabric) insert to add the corn to. Then you can have a snap in the mouth so the inner snake could be added to the crocheted one after it is heated.

I have received some PM s on this - I do NOT want to make a HOT PAD with these - you know, the kind you want to put your pans on. I want to make a heating pad, the kind you warm up in the microwave and it soothes you if you put it around your neck or back.

I suppose I'll just have to experiment.

Tupperware is plastic and IT does not melt in the microwave, so I was thinking acrylic is fine. But then again.... ????

Well, I tossed a ball of yarn in there for TWO MINUTES. (On a paper plate, just in case we had a meltdown). I know my parents only warm their corn heating pad about aminute, so I figured I'd go further. Opened it up, and the ball of yarn itself was just a tad warm. I think it's a GO!!!

My mom has hot pads she made in the 60s and 70s, and they have been through everything - dryer, microwave, young kids, mud pies, dogs, cats, guinea pigs, and holding the Thanksgiving turkey on the dinner table. They are just fine to this day. :) Go Team Acrylic! :)

Acrylic is ok for just a few minutes but longer than 5 or 10 minutes of a hot pan off the stove or out of a hot oven will make it melt where the pan is. I know it has happen to me... but you can use crochet cotton 100% cotton and will be ok. I also make hot pads out of fabric all the time. Here is a set I made out of fabric. I beleive they are clickable...

[/url] th_MikeJudyHotpadsetwminimopPicture61.jpg slideshow_thumb04.gif th_ebaypicseee009-1.jpg

These heating pads only get stuck in for a couple minutes at the most, so I'm good.

Bougth some corn and did a test, but they popped. Found out I need CRACKED corn, not what I bought. Good thing I tested!

If you're wondering where to get cracked corn, go to a feed store. It'll be there. I feed it to my doves (among other things).

To reiterate what has been said, according to Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet, acrylic yarn is flammable, so you have to make sure no one sticks it in the microwave for more than a few minutes.

... and they put tags on blowdryers that say "Do not use while bathing" with the pic of the little guy standing in the tub!

I always got a kick out of that.

We (me & mom) found out the hard way that acrylic will melt if you put a pot of soup right off the stove on top of it. It didn't really melt - it just sort of flattened out a lot and got a little shiny on the bottom. Now it's the hot pot hot pad cuz it's already ruined.

Ellen - I BOUGHT this at a feed store! It was in the bird food section, but I really didn't know what I was looking for - finally called myMother and asked. She says I can find it in the bulk section of my supermarket where they have pet food. Going to look next time. :D

You might try another microwave test for a longer time. We put our corn bags in for at least two minutes. DH goes for three and we end up with a burnt smell for a while. We also have a hyperactive microwave so 2 minutes in ours equals 4 in my parents' microwave.

I also have a removable cover on my bag that I love. Might be harder to do with snakes though.

Ellen - I BOUGHT this at a feed store! It was in the bird food section, but I really didn't know what I was looking for - finally called myMother and asked. She says I can find it in the bulk section of my supermarket where they have pet food. Going to look next time. :D

Feed stores carry both, usually -- the whole dried kernels (that pop) and the cracked kernels. Sometimes you have to ask for SQUIRREL food and it'll be included with the sunflower seeds.

My supermarkets don't carry bulk pet food anymore, but pet stores might! Do you have Petsmart in your part of the world? Walmart may/should also carry it.

I will certainly be looking now that I know WHAT to look for!

In case the packaging is weirdly labeled, cracked corn looks like chopped up pieces of hard corn kernels....I apologize if the description was obvious.....

• 6 months later...

You can use acrylic if you make a pocket for a bag of the cracked corn. Acrylic can melt in the microwave. I had a lovely bag that was made out of acrylic and it melted in the microwave. The bag also makes sure that the seeds don't fall out.

You ladies crack me up! :lol :lol :lol Yes, you can use rice.

Also, you can just pin a small folded piece of paper with the instructions on each snake. That way, the user will know the yarn could melt if it is microwaved too long. :)

• 7 years later...

Archived