Birthday Black Shawl

artemis

My sister turned 60 on July 1. She asked that I make her a light-weight black shawl she could wear in the summer on a cool evening. I used Blue Sky alpaca and silk, the most expensive fiber I've ever purchased! I ordered it from Webs. It took 8 skeins to make a 22" by 68" rectangular shawl. I used the Spider Web Lace pattern from Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet. My husband made several shawl pins from wood he turned on his lathe. Can you see she is wearing one on her shoulder which is a dark brown wood? He and I were pleased with how our gifts turned out.

AnnsBlackShawlfrontviewforCVJuly-1.jpgAnnsBlackShawlbackviewforCVJuly2-1.jpgAnnsBlackShawlClose-upforCVJuly2-1.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Artemis, is it possible that your sister is 60??? She looks much younger! I love the spiderweb pattern but I've never tied it on anything as large as a shawl. And that wooden pin is truly inspired. What lovely gifts for a lovely lady. I'd be pleased to wear that shawl myself...:yes

That's beautiful! Such a clever idea for you and your husband to coordinate your gifts! Every time I splurge for the nice yarn, I feel like my stitches look a little prettier. I think your investment was well worth it.

Archived