1. 1. what colors do you like?

• I like a wild assortment of all colors in a random pattern
    • I like to select my colors and follow a pattern
    • I prefer to use one solid color

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I spend a lot of time deciding on which colours to use for my projects...especially when i'm working on blankets. I will make blankets in one solid colour but i find that i get bored very easily. I combat the boredom by trying to pick patterns that have 2 or 3 colours to shuffle through.

I tend to use different colors and when I go buy yarn I look until something "speaks" to me. It all depends on the pattern. I like to do ripples and use a four color pattern. Use LOTS of Red Heart SS...

• 2 weeks later...

I usually pick a pattern first and then decide my colors. I almost never stick to the pattern though. I always have to make it my own. Usually I will use multiple colors in a project, but i really like the way that a single color of a simple yarn/thread shows off my stiches. I do have a shawl going that is just scraps and I did for my grandMIL, but I almost never use varigateds. Unless they are self-striping or a really long and gradual change with only one color, I usually hate the way they look in a project. OK, I know I'm wierd.:shrug

I sort of have variations on "ooh that's pretty", I like solids or slightly varigated as well as sometimes wildly varigated and "stripe" yarns.

Also since I make things to sell, it seems like every commission means going out and buying yarn to fill that particular order. I'm finishing up a bunny in a particular shade of green. (Customer gave me a Jpg of a character saying, "I want a bunny to match her DRESS, and his eyes should match hers...took the print out to the yarn shop and he's nearly done.)

Just finished a white lion,("I want my avitar as an amigurumi") with yarn I had in my stash. (except for the polar bear, and the Maneki Neko, I hardly ever use white, so I was surprised to find I had some white stashed.) Next is a grey kitty with green eyes, to look like the customer's cat.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I voted for selecting colors and following a pattern because I usually pick a great pattern, figure out who I'm giving it to and what colors they would like, then I try to shop for those colors. My mom always told me not to pay attention to the colors they use in the patterns because it's more fun to choose my own. I haven't done many patterns yet, but I've gotten in the habit of not seeing color when viewing them.

I choose my colors and pattern very carefully. I used to bookmark all the projects that I thought were cool or pretty, but never took in account what was actually in my taste and what I would actually wear. Since then, I've narrowed down my queue of projects to my favorite patterns. I then take notes about color. Sometimes a pattern calls for a one solid color, but other times it's fun to mix-and-match. I draw and I love fashion, so I'm very aware of the ways colors and patterns look together.

I'm going to have to say All of the Above. It just depends on the pattern, the stitch, or the person it's for. Some projects scream for solid colors, others demand an ordered type pattern. And then there's the projects that just need a random assortment of colors. :yes

I usualy just pick balls from my yarn colection and try and match up colors for what I'm makeing that way, this is how I decided pink and purple was a good combination for a turtle.(it actualy turned out nice.)

I selected choose my colors and follow a pattern... I am not really someone who likes things to not match... I sometimes choose colors that you would think would be awful together but they've come out in the end very nice!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived