how do you choose colors?

what colors do you like?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. what colors do you like?

• I like a wild assortment of all colors in a random pattern
    • I like to select my colors and follow a pattern
    • I prefer to use one solid color

I wonder what people like when they look at an afghan, or other crocheted item. Do you like a random assortment of all sorts of colors, or are you more selective and spend time choosing your colors and keeping with a color pattern?

I'm the latter, I prefer to use certain colors in an afghan, as you can see in my pics. I have my scrap afghan but it's quite bright and when it's finished I'll probably gift it away.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it depends whether it's for me or somebody else. the baby afghan I made a while back was pastels in a orderly pattern. The afghan I'm making for me now is also in an orderly pattern, but it's a holiday afghan for the 4th. The 63 squares I'm going to start as soon as my H hook is free will be as many colors as I can find, and not in any specific pattern.

Choosing colours all depends on the project I'm working on.....I love to do scrap blankets which help use up my odd bits of yarn but then I love a nice pattern too. Most of my colour choices come from imitating nature and the earth.....mother nature puts together colours that are just beautiful contrary to what we think ie blue and green should never be seen well I say green loves blue like I love you!:)

Since I primarily use thread I prefer most of the time to use a single color. I like how thread makes the stitch pattern stand out and I find it easier to enjoy when it is a solid color. I do like to use color sometimes when it lends itself to the design. I truly wish we had a better assortment of colors available in thread so it would be easier to do a color scheme that is more subtle.

I only use yarns that speak to me.

No, seriously! I often visit with my yarn and sometimes some of my yarn calls out to me and says "Hey, we would go GREAT together!" And the funny thing is that I might have looked at those same skeins together several times before and not been moved by them.

Sometimes I decide I'm wanting to do a specific pattern (rarely do I use the colors specified) and stand in front of my yarn closet contents sprawled out and just go into this "art daze" f u g u e where I sort of just glance at the yarns but not really focus on any particular one. It's like those hidden picture thingies. Then soon some yarns just come into focus and I know exactly which ones to pull out of the hoarde...

Now you all know just how crazy I really am!

No, seriously! I often visit with my yarn and sometimes some of my yarn calls out to me and says "Hey, we would go GREAT together!" And the funny thing is that I might have looked at those same skeins together several times before and not been moved by them.

Sometimes I decide I'm wanting to do a specific pattern (rarely do I use the colors specified) and stand in front of my yarn closet contents sprawled out and just go into this "art daze" f u g u e where I sort of just glance at the yarns but not really focus on any particular one. It's like those hidden picture thingies. Then soon some yarns just come into focus and I know exactly which ones to pull out of the hoarde...

Now you all know just how crazy I really am!

My thoghts exactly Krystal only it came out of your computer i do the same thing in the yarn room you just kind of go into a trance and then boom it jumps out at you.

I love many of the varigated yarns in the skein but am not always so fond of how they work up in a pattern. I would like to find a good color wheel and have a better understanding or how colors go together. Any suggestions on a color wheel?

I'm kind of a mixture. I'm making a stripey ghan, and to me it seems wildly random, but I like it a lot! Then I have 2 single shade varigated ghans in the works for my 2 oldest DD's and a babyghan for my new (2 day old 12 days early!!) nephew that is alternating a blue solid with a blue green and yellow varigated. I love them all!! I have soo many wips right now too... I'm trying to force myself to finish something! LOL... It will have to be the baby ghan since he showed up early!!

I am a one color type person for projects. I don't like weaving in ends, so if it's all one color, there's not that many ends.:) I do use a different color for a trim, like on a blanket. But I won't do a granny blanket or a MAM because of all the ends. I am lazy, I guess.:lol

:manyheart

I usually chose colors that I think would look good together. Most of my baby blankets are either a solid color or are the varigated yarn. I almost think sometimes that the yarn talks to me when I am at the store trying to decide.

Yarns don't speak to me, they must see me coming and decide to possum on me. I have the toughest time picking a color. More often than not, I grab a varigated because I can't pick just one.

Currently I'm in love with the hideous bright orangeness of Caron's Wintuk. Man, I love that color!! It's so useful, too. Currently I have a turtle sanctuary staked out in my yard (mom turtle buried eggs in our landscaping). You can't miss the orange!

for me it depends on A) who the project is for, B) what kind of project it is. ie a hat, blanket, scarf. from there i choose the yarn. I hardly ever follow the pattern suggestions unles i really like the picture with the colors it has. I have a plethora of bright and funky yarn as well as subdue colors. sometimes it just depends on my mood. :D

for me it depends on A) who the project is for, B) what kind of project it is. ie a hat, blanket, scarf. from there i choose the yarn. I hardly ever follow the pattern suggestions unles i really like the picture with the colors it has. I have a plethora of bright and funky yarn as well as subdue colors. sometimes it just depends on my mood. :D

LOL yeah, what she said :)

I like it all!!! I can spend hours in the yarn aisle zoning, feeling, putting colors next to each other and putting them back on the shelf. In the past I've done one color scarves or blankets, but now I'm trying to really learn the craft, so I'm doing a 63 square and I chose the colors in my bedroom (plum, sage, and chocolate).

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on who it's for, what their color scheme is, and what colors they like. Especially for afghans. Hats and scarves, it's whatever tickles my fancy. This may sound strange, but sometimes, if something is on sale, color is irrelevant.

Margie <:3( )~~~

Since I primarily use thread I prefer most of the time to use a single color. I like how thread makes the stitch pattern stand out and I find it easier to enjoy when it is a solid color. I do like to use color sometimes when it lends itself to the design. I truly wish we had a better assortment of colors available in thread so it would be easier to do a color scheme that is more subtle.

Amen to that!! The local LYS closed, so now Anchor Pearl Cotton (which was fast becoming a favorite for color choices at least though yardage wasn't great) is hard to find, and local craft chains don't carry much PC at all. Want more thread colors!!!!

Have always selected my own colors in a pattern. It seems I like a pattern because of one distinct color but then add the other colors of my liking around it.

~~Happy Crocheting~~

:hook KathyWho:hook

• 4 weeks later...

I like to pick my color scheme......I like almost all colors except gray........I had made this quilt once where each star was a different color and the background was black...........I really liked that the colors seem to pop out........I'm going to make an afghan like that:yes

Archived