Hello, A bittersweet post

loretta712

Hi, My name is Loretta, I live in NW PA. I found this board around 6 months ago, when my husband was diagnosed with cancer. I have crocheted through all of his treatments, which were many, radiation and chemotherapy. I have crocheted through taking care of him around the clock for 6 months, and I know I would have gone crazy not having crochet as therapy, I have lurked on this board daily and have learned so much, found many, many great patterns, and just generally enjoyed reading everyone's encouraging words to each other, I've completed a couple rugs, 4 fat bottom bags, numerous market bags, bikini's for american girl dolls, more things that I can think of alot of them mixed in with tears, My husband passed away last Thursday and I'm carrying on knowing he is in no more pain, I really wanted to introduce myself and say thank you to everyone who has helped me without really knowing it. I plan to continue to crochet, who could give it up? LOL and hope to do more posting with a happier subject.

Thanks again,

Loretta

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome! I'm so sorry for your loss. It's very hard to lose a spouse. Keep crocheting, it will help if you stay busy. :hugYou will find lots of support on this board. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work.

I am sorry to hear of your loss but understand how you feel as well. My mom had a form of Parkinsons when she passed away and even though I was sad to see her go I was at the same time relieved that she was no longer suffering. Hope to here more from you, take care and stay strong.

Please accept my deepest sympathies on your loss! Crochet is, indeed, a saving skill to have! I did just what you did, for the 7 years of my mom's final illness, and it enabled me to care for her, keep busy, and still have my attention all on her. That was 8 years ago, and it seems like yesterday.

All the little doll dresses I made during that time, for my nieces, plus dozens and dozens more, went home with happy little girls as craft show sales. Crochet helped me cope with life in general. I wish I'd been a member here, then! You are in good company......:hug

I'm so sorry about your husband. One of my best friends lost her husband a few months ago. Not long before he died, I taught her to crochet and we began meeting regularly for a crochet group. It's been therapeutic for her and fun and joy for the rest of us. I guess creating anything with friends is healing. I'm glad you have found some comfort from crochet AND crochetville. Welcome.

susan

I am so sorry for your loss. Welcome to our little "home" and I hope we can continue to make this terrible time just a little bit easier for you.

My deepest sympathy to you. I am glad you could find some comfort from other people's posts as well as keeping your mind and fingers busy. May you find peace in your heart and I hope you can continue to find coming to the "ville" an added support. Bless you!

Denise

I was so sorry to read about your husband's death. I am glad that crocheting and your visits to the 'Ville helped you. And I hope that you will continue to visit and to find comfort and pleasure in your visits, your hooks and your yarn.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I lost my Mom just ten weeks ago and also used this board and crocheting as therapy.The long hours of care and keeping them company, keeping your mind and hands busy -- many WIP started and a few finished. Worked on different things to spark her interest. Keep those fingers busy and enjoy the many patterns and friends you find here. I've been touched by many and we will support and encourage you too through this loss.

Welcome, and I'm so so sorry for the loss of your husband. I want to let you know that I greatly admire your optimism, and hope to see you around here a lot. Why don't you pop over to check on the Travelling Hook and Travelling Hook II threads under Crochet for Charity - Comfortghans? There's a bunch of us "hooking for a cure to cancer."

Welcome to the board. I did the same thing when I was taking my son in law for his chemo and radiation treatments. Sure made the time go by and keep my mind busy. Joe lost the battle to after all of that.

Many hugs to you.:manyheart

sondra 123mama

Hi Loretta ! Welcome from Maggie in Stoneboro, PA!

It is so sad you and your husband had to suffer through so much pain. You know he is in a better place...at peace and no longer in pain. He is watching over you and so are your :angel :angel :angel !!!

I pray God sends to you friends and comfort and strenghth to get through this time of grief.

Blessings to you!

P.S. You probably don't live far from me...seeing you are from NW PA.

My sympathies on the loss of your husband, I will say a prayer for him and you. Welcome to a site where the people are loving, kind, and ever so willing to help others. Be well, and know there are people here for you.

Archived