kestrel5287

Jack Russell Sized coat?

Question

I just had a little female jack russell terrier literally follow me home today...she walked right up to my front door with me...well i went throughout the whole neighborhood, knocking on doors and no one has any idea who this dog belongs to. I let the police department know that i found her in case someone reports it...until then, i'm keeping her with me and i'd like to make her a sweater. Although it is summer, it still gets chilly in the night and she keeps asking to go outside lol. So, i thought it would be nice to make her a sweater to help keep her warm :)

Also, on a side note, she seems to get really nervous if i leave her alone in a room or if i don't go outside with her...does anyone know if there's a reason for this?

11 answers to this question

she prolly got left alone a lot in a former life, congradulations on your new pet;)

Ooh I have a 4 month JRT named Chewie:

chewie1.jpg

though it's hot right now I would love to find a pattern for a coat for him too. Congrats on your find. My puppy is like that too. I read that Jack Russells hate to be left alone, even if your going outside and they can see you, they want to be around you.

I have two jack russells and frequently make them coats. They will convince you that anything below 72 degrees is freezing and they must be on your lap.

Ok, they must be on your lap when it's 98 degrees but that's just to make sure your ok. They are very loyal dogs, usually take to just one person in particular even if they like everyone.

I followed the Granny square dog coat for these:

DSCF0445.jpg

lucykitty.jpg

You can find one on the Lion Brand website

Also, on a side note, she seems to get really nervous if i leave her alone in a room or if i don't go outside with her...does anyone know if there's a reason for this?

Hmmm, I dunno... (I have cats) take her to a vet and see if she has a microchip. She might be scared and missing home, and may be very far from home, especially if her family is on vacation.

I've made dog sweaters before, measure her from collar to tush and then around her collar area and then around her rib cage. write down all measurements. Make a rectangle, with a taper or rounded edge for the tush end... that's the length of the collar to tush area, and will cover from side to side... and then make a collar, and join the top of the rectangle over the chest end (though may need a square or small rectangle added in... and a strap to go across her underarm area that shuts with a button.

Yammy: I LOVE the Hello Kitty coat, but my girl kitty would never wear it, and the boy would find it, insignificantly macho... though maybe he'd wear a Chococat version? (He looks a lot like Chococat!)

:cheer My Jack "Rocco" is 4 years old...these dogs are very attached to people, ours likes to sleep in bed with us under the covers. They have extrodinary amounts of energy and love to run and play...they need a "job". So if you play catch with him be prepared to play ball daily. They are sweet and when they look at you your heart just melts...they are loyal but are wanderers. Good luck with your new little friend...I wouldn't part with mine for the world! As for sweaters plenty of free ones on the net...doggie sweaters are everywhere, mine wears a size medium...but most Jack's are small...

I have THREE jacks and I LOVE them. They need lots of exercise and they do NOT like to be left alone. You may want to crate her if you leave the house.

My Jack Max is like that. He doesn't like to be left alone. If I put him out he whines at the back door until I let him back in. It took forever just to get him to go out by himself to potty. He used to sit inside refusing to go out until he litterally leaked on the floor. Wouldn't give him up for anything. He's such a loyal dog, but they aren't kidding about the energy. Great Frizbee dogs. Max can clear about 2 ft to catch the thing. Careful, they love to chew things up. Worse than any other dog I've had when it comes to that. Congratsulations on your new pet, I hope noone claims her. Oh, Max (all 26 lbs of him) thinks he's a lap dog too.

That's how my puppy Chewie got his name from chewing things when we first got him lol.

lol we used to call Rocco shredder!!

Congratulations on your new pet, Krystal! :)

You might want to check out Rey & Luna's pages at my site (link in my signature) to find links to lots of different things to make for your pet.

I think one of my favorite pet sweaters to make is this one:

http://www.crochetnmore.com/dogsweater.htm

It's quick & easy and can be adapted to fit small dogs (like my Chihuahuas).

As for your new pet being nervous when left alone, I would guess that it's probably because she's afraid that you will leave her and she'd be left all alone again on her own. She may also be leery about going outside alone because she's afraid that you won't be there to let her back inside again. Have you taken her to the vet yet to see if they can give you an idea as to how old she is?

HTH!