1 skein felted project

Cranky Crocheter

Question

Hello all... I have one skein of Patons wool in regency and I am looking for a little project to felt.. I checked out CPC site and did not find anything that dropped my jaw... any small felted project patterns out there that you guys like?:manyheart

5 answers to this question

There is a crocheted bag in 'One Skein Wonders' which is nice and felts like a dream with patons classic wool ( co-worker finished and felted hers... very simple). She also made a simple bag from Interweave Crochet's Spring 2007 Issue ("On-The-Go Bags" by Tiffany Reynolds). With one skein of patons classice wool. I personally prefer the 'On-the-Go' bags. They are very easy to make too.

I once made up a purse pattern for 1 skein of patons wool, but I never wrote it down so I can give it to you in a nutshell and you can go from there.

I like the way that yarn stripes when you crochet in the round with it, but I wanted something with a less narrow and straight coloring when done. First I made the straps on a knitting spool, but if you aren't as lazy as I am you can crochet up a chain or however wide and long you want your handle, I made sure to do the handle first so I wouldn't have to worry about saving enough yarn for it.

First I crocheted a rectangular base for the bag double stranded so it would be really sturdy. I try to plan on giving up about 30 or 40% in the height and about 15 to 20% in the width. I knew what size to make my rectangle because I had made a swatch of the stitch pattern I wanted to use so I could find out what the perimeter of the base needed to be. Then I picked up stitches all the way around the edge fudging how many I needed to have in order to be able to start the foundation of my stitch pattern. The stitch pattern I used was inspired by an old one called the bushy stitch.

I just connected it at the top of the beginning at the end of each row and started over instead of turning.

Use multiples of 3 ch +1:

Row 1: Skip 3 ch, (1 dc, ch 2, 1 sc) in next ch, *skip 2 ch, (2 dc, ch 2, 1 sc) in next ch*, repeat from * across, ch 2 and turn.

Row 2: *(2 dc, ch 2, 1 sc) in each ch 2 sp, repeat from * across, ch 2 and turn.

All you do is just keep going round and round repeating row 2 until you run out of yarn, Sometimes I save some scraps to sew on wide and short handles or sometimes I make the base round and turn it into a drawstring bag by weaving through a long thin handle.

The cool part is when you felt it in a stitch pattern like that. It makes it look like you have little round circles of color insted of stripes.

I bet this is all just as clear as mud, hope it makes sense!

Archived