Most clueless remark you've heard?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always related to knitting!!!!! I had a lady at work asking me "Is that a knit stitch or a purl stitch??" And then she had the nerve to say "I used to do that a long time ago!!" Yeah right!!

My favorite is when I was working on a doily and my daughter wanted me to give her a ride somewhere. I said "Just a minute while I finish this round." Her reply "Oh, come on and hurry up. How hard can it be???" I handed her the thread, pattern and hook and said "OK, then you can get this round on while I drive you there." I haven't heard anymore smart remarks from that one.

The funny thing to me is they can't get how long it takes to make something.

Also, the people that say "I don't have time." I always tell them if they watch tv then they have time.

My favorite is when I was working on a doily and my daughter wanted me to give her a ride somewhere. I said "Just a minute while I finish this round." Her reply "Oh, come on and hurry up. How hard can it be???" I handed her the thread, pattern and hook and said "OK, then you can get this round on while I drive you there." I haven't heard anymore smart remarks from that one.

The funny thing to me is they can't get how long it takes to make something.

Also, the people that say "I don't have time." I always tell them if they watch tv then they have time.

Oh my...that's great that you did that to your daughter...

And Amen sistah to the response to those that say they 'don't have time...' They don't want to make time is the reality of the situation...and that's fine...crocheting's not everyone's cup of tea...I mean I'm a highly crafty individual but I'm so not into quilting for example...

"I don't have time" is not a valid excuse for anything anymore to me...the reality is more like, "I don't want to, I'm not interested in doing that, I've got other priorities..." And those are all valid...the only time one doesn't have time is when they've left this earth...

Even when I worked outside the home, went to school and had a killer social life, when I wanted to crochet or sew or cook or clean house, wild horses couldn't stop me from doing what I wanted to do...back then I called it, "stealing time..."

Oh and I have to add, I do get and have gotten over the years lots of compliments on my work...but it's amazing how one can get a 100 positives comments and then 1 negative comment and be knocked for a loop from the 1 negative comment...it's so hard to overcome the negative comments, even at my age, but I work hard just to do that because the worst sin is to take those negative comments seriously enough to derail myself permanently...

It's been mentioned before in similar threads, but worth repeating...some people don't realise what they say, or they may feel like they would like to actually do whatever, but they don't have the self confidence to learn, and/or they might be perfectionists who what to make something beautiful and perfect the first time...and will give up after the first project 'cause it's not going the way they want it to go or they might be jealous...

Great thread...and oh hey Crochet Dad...I hope you get to use that retort some day...I laughed out loud and then read your post to my DH...

Many non-threaders don't get the distinction between cross-stitch, counted cross-stitch, embroidery, crewel embroidery, and shall I even add: darning.

And no one has mentioned my grandmother's all time favorite thing to do: tatting. (I'm determined to teach myself and then my 17 year old daughter before the art passes out of the family forever).

My sisters see me crocheting sometimes and they'll tell me "quit wasting your time and your money!" or tell me I'm lazy for having crochet as a hobby... :no

but they're my sisters, what can I do?

Also, when I crochet on the bus on the way to school, the bus is mostly full of college student my age and I often hear "oh, I thought only grandmothers crochet..." - at least they don't say knit! :hook

You can tell your sisters ("remind":lol) that you are the FAVORITE... :D

I find that more and more young people (High School and college age) are taking up fiber arts, knit, crochet, and other small projects filling time on the bus, waiting for friends, etc.

Many non-threaders don't get the distinction between cross-stitch, counted cross-stitch, embroidery, crewel embroidery, and shall I even add: darning.

And no one has mentioned my grandmother's all time favorite thing to do: tatting. (I'm determined to teach myself and then my 17 year old daughter before the art passes out of the family forever).

Even though I actually know the difference of everything listed above, I call all of that either "needlework" or just "embroidary..." but I do know the difference...

I have several people say "Oh, I want to learn how to do that!" but then when I offer to teach them (or tell them where they could take a class, etc) they immediately say "I'd never have the patience" or "I'm so busy" or "I'm sure its too complicated for me!" The excuses annoy me the most!! If you truly want to learn something, why would you have so many excuses against learning it? Grr.

I was paying for two skeins of yarn at Michael's and the cashier asked "What are you going to knit?" I told her I crocheted and she said "Knit, crochet... it's the same thing". Now, if some stranger on the street had said that I'd just shrug it off... but she works at Michael's!

Joan

I get all this all the time. How do you find the time to do that?

Also What do you do what the things you make?

Or my all time favorite is. Isn't that something old ladies do???

I was showing my sister my latest purse, which I was pretty proud of, AND my mom was impressed by it. But when my sister picked it up to look at it, she noticed there was stuff inside and remarked, "Oh, you're actually using it."

Well yes, sis, that's what it's for!

The remark that sets my teeth on edge - "I can get that cheaper at Wal-Mart." As to excuses for not learning, they want the end result but not the effort it takes to learn it. If we want to learn something badly enough, we will find the time.

Glenda

Oh, how I hate that one!!! Why would you want some cheap piece of c*** from Wal-Mart that a thousand people are going to wear this year if you could instead create a one-of-a-kind, beautiful article to treasure for ages?

"You really like doing squares. I guess that's a good idea, because when you are finished, you can just rip it all out and start over again. And that way you won't have to do more than one. And that would really save you on buying yarn!"

Whatever?!?! They don't have a clue.

Ladies, Ladies.....

I have been haunted by the knitting comments for long enough!

Recently I decided that I am going to make a change in the world (at least the people that I come in contact with)!!!

I am going to crochet everywhere I go. And when someone says ,"What are you knitting?" (or any of the numerous brainless comments) I will grin and bear it and explain to them that knitting is two needles and, that what I am doing is called crocheting and it is with one hook. Sooner or later everyone I know will know that what I am doing is crocheting.

I have found a added perk to this theory.

(1) By crocheting everywhere, I learned that my fiance's friend's mother has an enormous stitch and is getting on in years. He said that she doesn't crochet as much as she used to and I graciously volunteered to adopt some of her stash if she didn't want it anymore. (More to come on that in the future!)

(2) By crocheting everywhere, I found out that a family friend has always wanted to learn. Her mom crochets all of the time. So we have decided that when I move closer to them (very soon) we are going to have a girls night of crocheting, while the boys play cards!

Hopefully I will make a change (and teach a few people in the process)!!!

I've always done counted cross-stitch, but I started doing blackwork recently and I am really enjoying it.

As for tatting, there is a tat-along going on right here in Crochetville! I just learned to tat myself by following that thread. Come take a peak if you are interested.

Oh, and Lewlie108, I think that's a great idea. I will double my efforts to crochet in public.

I also get the "knitting" comment from people and I have tried to tell them the diference. I also have heard the comment about too much free time on my hands. I told them that snice have stopped smoking(6 1/2 months now) that I need something to keep my hands busy.

These are the comments that bug me the most:

My boyfriend just told me this morning that I wasn't paying attention to him because I was too focused on my crochet or cross stitching, or whatever it is I'm doing. UH, how many times do I need to tell him what crocheting is called. Jeez people pay attention.

Then, at work on my lunch break I'll crochet in our lunch room and I usually get these two comments. Man I am falling asleep because I have to watch you doing that.

And, You are a 60 year old trapped in a 26 year old body.

Boy does that bug me. I always tell them there are people younger than me doing what I'm doing and to stop making fun. They just laugh and continue to say the same things.

Alot of the time, I get,

"I don't see how you waste your time doing that."

and

"Wow! You knit really well! Great job!"

It annoys me when people say these 2 comments. Especially the 2nd one. Grrrrrr...I mean, come on! CRO-CHET-ING. Do we have to spell it out for you guys!?!?!?

I definitely hate the age reference to doing crochet. I have been crocheting since I was about 8 or 9. A 90-year old neighbor lady taught my sister and me to knit and crochet. Our mother was a wonderful sewer but didn't knit or crochet. Anyway, when I was much younger people used to say I was too young to be doing that. HAH! Now that I'm slightly over 50, it seems to be okay, acceptable. Why is that? At the stroke of midnight on some past birthday did it suddenly become alright for me to crochet and knit? Why can't young people bring back the art forms that have almost disappeared because of the need for instant gratification of today's society? And besides, just because I'm on the backside of 50 doesn't mean I'm not young at heart, soul, and mind.

Besides the knitting comment, simply anyone who tells me to my face that I'm wasting my time or that I have "too much time on my hands..." That is not just a clueless remark, it's insulting and rude and it ticks me off far more than anyone who comments that my crocheting is "knitting."

I mean I don't even care if someone were to tell me that what I was doing was "old women work..." which I have NEVER had said to me ever...even when I was 10 years old and crocheting...(of course, it was a different time then...)

This is the one I have heard most as well. The women in my family don't crochet or knit or needlepoint (altho they can do crafty things when it comes to decor). Anyways, my great grandmother came to visit just after I learned to crochet. She would make comments like she never had the luxury of time on her hands or if she had time to sit & crochet, then she had time to cook, clean, or do something she deemed far more important.

Chalk it up to her being an old lady (she is 90), but it hurt my feelings because learning to crochet is how I made friends here. Its not about sitting on my butt, and my house IS clean. Mostly. There are 3 boys running around & I work outside the home 40 hrs a week, would giving me a little slack hurt?

Crochet is the only hobby I have really been passionate about, so it gets to me when my own family turns up their nose. :sigh

Archived