Most clueless remark you've heard?

It's funny, I've never got the "wasting your time" comment. My reply would be, "And what are YOU doing to make dying children happy?" LOL!

My pet peeve comes from a very CLOSE married-to relative. EVERY time I have my work with me (YEARS NOW... heard it before) she says how much she preferes knit over crochet because knit is so lacy and dainty, and crochet it stiff and scratchy. HUH?!?!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had the opposite happen to me recently. I had to wait to get my car fixed so I brought some knitting :eek with me. One of the mechanics saw me in the waiting room and said "oh, my wife crochets, too". I didn't have the heart to tell him that I wasn't crocheting. If his wife crocheted, you'd think he'd know the difference. Some men are so observant aren't they?:)

Men they can't help it. It's in the jeans/genes. Pay no attention they don't!:yarn

I also get the "knitting" comment from people and I have tried to tell them the diference. I also have heard the comment about too much free time on my hands. I told them that snice have stopped smoking(6 1/2 months now) that I need something to keep my hands busy.

my congrats to you on the really HUGE project (becoming a non-smoker) ... I did it and applaud you and wish you the best of luck in this mighty endeavor ... I know fully well the degree of difficulty! And keeping your hands busy with crochet is an excellent idea. Good thinking!

This is the one I have heard most as well. The women in my family don't crochet or knit or needlepoint (altho they can do crafty things when it comes to decor). Anyways, my great grandmother came to visit just after I learned to crochet. She would make comments like she never had the luxury of time on her hands or if she had time to sit & crochet, then she had time to cook, clean, or do something she deemed far more important.

Chalk it up to her being an old lady (she is 90), but it hurt my feelings because learning to crochet is how I made friends here. Its not about sitting on my butt, and my house IS clean. Mostly. There are 3 boys running around & I work outside the home 40 hrs a week, would giving me a little slack hurt?

Crochet is the only hobby I have really been passionate about, so it gets to me when my own family turns up their nose. :sigh

the "time to crochet is time to clean the house" kind of comment is what I heard from a former inlaw many a time ... and yes it DOES hurt. But to put it in perspective, her own sister said (after learning I had sewn my daughter's party dress), "Too bad you won't buy her something new for a special occasion."

There are many people who simply say and do unkind things. I wonder what in the world happened to make them so.

There are many people who simply say and do unkind things. I wonder what in the world happened to make them so.

I've found that the people that do that are unhappy with their lives on a whole, and we are BAD people for being happy doing something, how dare we! so they have to make belittling comments to make themselves feel better... I've actually come to the conclussion that these folks need our pity, not our anger.

The only really negative feedback I've gotten, is from my step family. I taught myself to crochet, and had a knack for it, when my step family has been trying to learn for years. Seems I bypassed them in my abilities and they weren't overly fond of that *shrug*

The one that annoys me the most is the "Gee, you don't seem like the kind of person who crochets." Good grief, they act like I have police record of knocking over little old ladies (whom would knit or crochet, of course), or go around stepping on little animals. AAAHHHHH!

As far as the comment of getting it cheaper at Wal-mart, I'd tell them, "Good, you should do that. That means you are one less person I have to make something for!"

I think the worst comment I ever got was once when I was working on a cross stitch picture while waiting for my husband to get off work. Someone came by and told me that he knew someone who could knit too (grandma, mother or something like that) He then proceeded to ask me if I was knitting a comforter. (the kind that goes on a bed) I was so completely dumbfounded that I couldn't answer. Then every day after that, whenever he saw me cross-stitching, he would ask "so how's the comforter coming? When are you going to knit mine?"

• 4 years later...
I really hate when people will walk by and say " make something for me!"

I know, thats really selfish, but that just totally rubs me wrong.

I always think it's cute..especially my daughter. One day she saw me looking at a teddy bear pattern and said "You're going to make one for me right?"

I NEVER heard of anyone getting the two mixed up. I was raised in a family of crocheters and when my boyfriend makes fun of it i laugh, its just all in good fun.

My own husband was on the phone talking with a buddy and telling him that I'm sitting on the couch knitting away.

I do both, but I clearly was crocheting. And he does know the difference.

:manyheart

My husband gave me the one remark that rubbed me wrong the worst. I was showing off a new square I had just made..... was sort of proud of it too...he proceeded to critique it! He has no clue how to crochet and told me that I needed to work on my tension!!!

grrrr arrgghh

I also get the remark of "Where's your yarn?" when I show up without anything to work on.

I hate the knitting comment as well... but I have experienced people not understanding what goes into creating a piece (like an afghan)... I had a friend ask me "Hey my friend is having a baby, can you make a blanket for me to give to her?" I said "yea, sure, when do you need it by?" she replied "Next weekend" :eek obviously I had to decline because it was physically impossible for me to have the time for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just yesterday I was in the dentists waiting room and the nurse came out and said "wow you are just a knit,knit,knitting away there" I just said "yes I am" and smiled.

Just yesterday I was in the dentists waiting room and the nurse came out and said "wow you are just a knit,knit,knitting away there" I just said "yes I am" and smiled.

Yes, totally clueless! But--you have to admit--it was easier to say that than say "...just a crochet, crochet, crocheting away", wasn't it! Maybe we should just answer everyone with "No, I'm not a "needler"--I'm a "hooker"!!

I have a loud sort of obnoxious friend from high school. I've only recently been back in touch with her and learned she lost her husband so I made her a granny ripple bag and sent her a book. I know she is most definitely not the girly girl type, more into cars and such so I made it in charcoal with cherry red stripes and light gray stripes right at the top. I had to call and ask to see if she got it and she said, "I got your book and your thing. My roommate asked if you were in jail because no one would want to sit and do that on their own".

I knew she'd probably tease some over it but wow.

I get the "what are you knitting" comment when I'm sitting in waiting rooms for doctor visits and such. Usually I'll correct it subtly by saying "I'm crocheting a lap blanket". That way I point out that it's crocheting not knitting, but I'm not smacking the person in the face with it.

My pet peeve would be the "wasting time" comments. It's wasting time to make blankets to donate to a cancer center so that cancer patients have something to cover up with? It's a waste of time to make blankets for family members who definitely appreciate the birthday/Christmas gifts?

People are odd, aren't they? I find that when I'm knitting, people want to know what I'm crocheting. When I'm crocheting, they want to know what I'm knitting. I love when people try to critique you and have no idea what you're doing. I had a lady once tell me that I was knitting my sleeves wrong--I was knitting them in the round vs. flat. I've had people tell me I can't possibly be crocheting because I'm not making "little squares"! :lol

I've had one "friend" tell me she thought what I was doing was a waste of time. She's no longer my friend. Actually, there are a lot of other reasons, but that was sort of the beginning of the end...

We're "wasting time" and yet other people spend hours playing video games or watching sports...go figure...

I want to find a button to wear that says " This is crochet!"

The other day I had a friend say "Oh there she goes" when I pulled out my yarn. But a little later she saw my completed hat and said "Is that what you just started here?!" One more hat for the homeless and I didn't waste my hour just sitting like they did.

Many non-threaders don't get the distinction between cross-stitch, counted cross-stitch, embroidery, crewel embroidery, and shall I even add: darning.

And no one has mentioned my grandmother's all time favorite thing to do: tatting. (I'm determined to teach myself and then my 17 year old daughter before the art passes out of the family forever).

I'm trying to teach myself that 1 also. well, more tried last year. got a book/video from joann's and was doing good until i had to shift to something else because it was a time/priority issue. need to get back to it. there is a really good website (off top of head i think) its handh.com

even have the needle tatting

Many non-threaders don't get the distinction between cross-stitch, counted cross-stitch, embroidery, crewel embroidery, and shall I even add: darning.

And no one has mentioned my grandmother's all time favorite thing to do: tatting. (I'm determined to teach myself and then my 17 year old daughter before the art passes out of the family forever).

oops... its hhtatting.com... i was close..sorta. :D

I have several people say "Oh, I want to learn how to do that!" but then when I offer to teach them (or tell them where they could take a class, etc) they immediately say "I'd never have the patience" or "I'm so busy" or "I'm sure its too complicated for me!" The excuses annoy me the most!! If you truly want to learn something, why would you have so many excuses against learning it? Grr.

it took me nearly 40 yrs to finally get the hang of knitting....at times i felt like a REAL idiot. the excuses have them defeated before they even try

Yes, totally clueless! But--you have to admit--it was easier to say that than say "...just a crochet, crochet, crocheting away", wasn't it! Maybe we should just answer everyone with "No, I'm not a "needler"--I'm a "hooker"!!

I would love to see the faces of these small town women if I said I was a "hooker"! :laughroll

I have a loud sort of obnoxious friend from high school. I've only recently been back in touch with her and learned she lost her husband so I made her a granny ripple bag and sent her a book. I know she is most definitely not the girly girl type, more into cars and such so I made it in charcoal with cherry red stripes and light gray stripes right at the top. I had to call and ask to see if she got it and she said, "I got your book and your thing. My roommate asked if you were in jail because no one would want to sit and do that on their own".

I knew she'd probably tease some over it but wow.

WOWEE WOW WOW! That one hurt ME! I got your THING....ouch!

I've gotten the knitting/crocheting thing many times, and have to remind myself that unless you have done one or the other, you wouldn't know the difference between the tools or process used. It's like taking me to an auto manufacturing shop full of machinery and telling me to make a part, I wouldn't have a clue.

But as far as clueless goes, the worst I have ever heard or seen has to be a TV commercial. It was supposed to be for Toilet Paper (I won't mention brand names), that was quilted, and there were a bunch of cartoon women armed with knitting needles clicking away to make the paper quilted. Now THAT is clueless!!! How embarassing for a big name company to have an ad shown to millions, which was totally inaccurate, and should have been researched or corrected long before it hit the air...(and was shown for months before someone caught on and changed the knitting needles to sewing needles).

I remember the first time I saw it I sat there with my mouth hanging open, to stunned to even laugh.

Archived