Most clueless remark you've heard?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My boss doesn't even refer to crocheting as knitting. He asked me what I was sewing! His wife knits, so the man has seen what yarn looks like.

i get the knitting comment alot. a few weeks ago i was waiting for my daughters surgery to be done with. i started making a dress for her. then one of the nurses said oh what are u knitting. i said "i'm not knitting anything!" that ended our conversation. needless to say i was already in crappy/nervous mood. she probably called me the big B word behind my back. :lol

My boss gave me the "so you're doing your knitting" comment one day... I didn't correct him! (I was KINDA not supposed to be doing any needlework anyway... :lol :lol )

Of course it is the "knitting" thing....but it doesn't bother me.....If we (crocheters) do not educate them about our art then how will they ever know? So with a big smile I correct them and offer to teach them at any time!

Besides the knitting comment, simply anyone who tells me to my face that I'm wasting my time or that I have "too much time on my hands..." That is not just a clueless remark, it's insulting and rude and it ticks me off far more than anyone who comments that my crocheting is "knitting."

I mean I don't even care if someone were to tell me that what I was doing was "old women work..." which I have NEVER had said to me ever...even when I was 10 years old and crocheting...(of course, it was a different time then...)

I had the opposite happen to me recently. I had to wait to get my car fixed so I brought some knitting :eek with me. One of the mechanics saw me in the waiting room and said "oh, my wife crochets, too". I didn't have the heart to tell him that I wasn't crocheting. If his wife crocheted, you'd think he'd know the difference. Some men are so observant aren't they?:)

Eurolyons - You're right, that is downright mean. People have an amazing capacity to say the dumbest thing that comes to mind. Sometimes a shocked expression is the best answer. Staring is almost as good as a well-thought reply because it forces the other person to either think of something else to say or leave.

I've heard the "too much time on your hands" comment quite a bit.

I tell them 'As sick as I am, I could just sit on the couch and mindlessly watch tv all day OR I can spend my time making beautiful things.'

or

It keeps my hands busy. If I had to sit there and do nothing, I'd lose my mind.

Truthfully, and thankfully, everyone always complitments me on all my work, wether it's crochet, cardmaking,sewing, painting, whatever I do! My friends husband who is a miserable @#%#@ most of the time, always tells everyone he knows that he knows the most creative person! She told me the other day, he was telling some guy that stopped over, "my wifes friend made that. You should see what she can do, she's cool.!" Where I live, there are alot of craft stores, scrapbooking stores, lots of little places where you can buy handmades, so I think it's almost a way of life around here, and almost everyone has something they can do, or have tried, so it's nothing to go to our parks and see women sitting , talking, and crocheting and knitting, or sometimes even quilting here and there. It's a great conversation starter, especially when some one really does not know what you are doing. I have had on occasion the "knittin" comment, and I always laugh and say, I'm lucky I can use one needle let alone two!, and then go on to explain what I am doing, or what I am making. I've made a sale or two that way!

Well, I used to be able to say that my father calls my crocheting knitting, but now he says "How is the kni-crocheting going? See! I got it right!"

My grandfather calls crochet hooks needles. Sometimes, he calls them crochet needles, but usually just needles.

My grandmother mentioned that she used to crochet, and he said "No, you just knitted, right?" She explained that she did both, and he said "No, you only knitted." I quickly changed the subject to something neutral...

Well, being a man who crochets, I get not just "what are you knitting", but of course, "I've never seen a man knit before." Depending on my mood, (at times I get very defensive with my art), I might say "I don't knit". Sometimes I leave it at that, and sometimes I add "...this is crochet".

I've been waiting for the right occasion when someone says something about a man crocheting to say "I would have brought the carburetor I am overhauling, but Starbucks (or the library, or whatever) frowns on that".

I love it when a man (or a woman) comes up to me and complements me on my work, especially if they crochet themselves. My favorite complement: "Well, I can crochet, but I can't do THAT" (referring to a particular pattern or stitch).

My sisters see me crocheting sometimes and they'll tell me "quit wasting your time and your money!" or tell me I'm lazy for having crochet as a hobby... :no

but they're my sisters, what can I do?

Also, when I crochet on the bus on the way to school, the bus is mostly full of college student my age and I often hear "oh, I thought only grandmothers crochet..." - at least they don't say knit! :hook

I get:

1. You're gonna EAT that!!??

2. Oh you're that guy who whittles knitting needles!

My sisters see me crocheting sometimes and they'll tell me "quit wasting your time and your money!" or tell me I'm lazy for having crochet as a hobby... :no

but they're my sisters, what can I do?

What hobbies do they have? Running small nations? Geez, I've never heard of crocheting as something "lazy" to do before.

~ Joy

Actually, I don't tend to get too many bad comments. One time I was crocheting on the bus on the way to placement (it's a 45 minute journey, I have to do *something*), and a very elderly Jamaican man leaned over from the seat behind me, tapped me on the shoulder and said "look at that, you women are amazing! You can do just anything, look at you doing that". He was genuinely really amazed. I thought it was lovely. He chatted with me all the way to his stop. Mostly I have reactions like that. Or little old ladies talk to me on the bus. If there are negative comments, I mostly just ignore them, the sort of people who would feel the need to go so far as to make mean comments about what I choose to do in my spare time probably don't do anything that I would consider fun or enjoyable...

The two that upset me is the knitting remark and the Too Much time on your hands remark. I have given up on saying that I am crocheting. I just smile and continue.

Our fireworks were late yesterday, so I sat on the beach for hours just crocheting waiting until it got dark. It was wonderful. I got a few knitting remarks, but I also got a few remarks about how wonderful a way to pass the time was by crocheting. I agreed. I made four preemie hats yesterday. It was a perfect day.

:manyheart

I don't get upset at all when people confuse the two. Knitting I believe is the more widely known of the two crafts...both use yarn. It only makes sense that one who doesn't do either, simply wouldn't know better.

We are better people to just say "Actually, I can see how one would confuse the two, but I'm crocheting with a hook, pulling loops of yarns. Knitters use needles. They are actually very different crafts, which happen to use the same medium".

:D

I really hate when people will walk by and say " make something for me!"

I know, thats really selfish, but that just totally rubs me wrong.

I once had a boss that commented on the knitting as well. He used to say to me...."If I buy you a ton of steel wool would you knit me a volkswagon"??? I used to tell him I didn't knit. lol

Archived