Neighborhood crochet class

I was thinking about passing out flyers in my townhouse complex for some free crochet classes. But, since I don't really have a large stash, would it be best to ask people to bring their own yarn and hooks or buy some and then charge a small fee, like $3 or $4, just to cover materials? I'm kind of leaning towards the second option since people might not know what to buy or might not get around to it in time and then not come. Also, do I need to have a specific project we would do? That just seems like a big step for people who don't even know how to crochet at all. I was kind of thinking of offering maybe 3 classes or so and then it would be on a more personal basis, if they wanted to stick with it and start a project. Mostly I just want more friends who crochet.:D

I've thought of doing that too. You could tell them to supply their own stuff or have the first meeting without supplies, then go shopping and show them what they need. I would stick to something simple, maybe a scarf or dishcloth or a changepurse? But of course you might have to teach them the types of stitches?? I thought of doing this, and wondered how much to "teach"; it would also be fun if you had a couple neighbors who already knew how to crochet and each be a mentor:) I'm anxious to read what others' opinions are:)..................................Lise

If it were me, I'd send flyers around and just invite anyone over who would be interested in learning to crochet. I would let them use my hooks and yarn and we would be just getting used to the whole idea the first time. Since they don't even know you really, it should be really informal and then discuss with the group when they would like to meet and what supplies you would expect them to bring. I would share some patterns I have that are easy and get imput from them as to the first project. I find that most people who have the money for hobbies work. So, you might have to meet at night. Unfortunately, the amount of women who are at home in the daytime has really gone down to very few. If they are home, they are home with kids. If you are trying to get women together in the day that will be the hardest and at night they are with their husbands and families. I know because I teach crochet at JoAnns and it is getting harder and harder to find women who have time for hobbies. Possibly Sunday afternoon would work. I'd send out flyers though and see what feedback you get from your neighbors. Good luck.

Thanks, that's a good idea, to first have a meeting just to see what interest there is and then have them buy stuff. I don't really have enough hooks for more than maybe 1 other person at a time to have a try at it but maybe they could take turns, just to see if they liked it. I was planning on doing it in the evening. I would do it on a night my husband was home so he could watch my kids. He works evenings 4 nights a week, including Saturdays, and he works Sunday afternoons so makes things difficult for scheduling sometimes.

Archived