Luster Sheen

jasmom

Anyone know a good substitute for Luster Sheen? I can't find that yarn at my Walmart here or at Michael's ( 1 hour away...). I purchased some on ebay but I was hoping I could find a alternative that I could buy from Walmart.

I was looking for alternatives, too. Paton's Grace looked to be the right weight/yardage (though it is 1/2 the size or so, which would require buying more). That was the only thing I found on the shelves at WM, HL, or Michaels that was about the right thickness.

I'm sure I've seen Luster Sheen at my WalMart in MI. Maybe you can ask store management and they could order it. You can also get Luster Sheen from Maggie's Crochet...I know that's S&H costs but you don't have to run around town looking for it.

Also, a #3 thread might work but they're not as soft as Luster Sheen unless you can find DMC Senso. But read the labels. There are different varieties. Suggest looking up the information at dmc.com.

Do you have Hobby Lobby? Mine carries it and the price is over $4.50, I believe. I'm surprised Michael's doesn't have it but you said that's an hour away!

Good luck! Hope you can find something!

:manyheart:hug

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions! It's great to have some alternatives! I never would of thought of using the size 3 thread! Good idea....

At my WM, they do not special order yarn!:( I was very disappointed.

I'll have to check out the Bernat Cool Crochet, that would probably work too.

I'm so excited, now I have a lot of choices! :yes

:clap :clap

A yarn I've discovered at the LYS is a good substitute: Plymouth Wildflower DK. It's an Acrylic/Cotton blend and I found it worked very well as a substitute for Lustersheen.

A yarn I've discovered at the LYS is a good substitute: Plymouth Wildflower DK. It's an Acrylic/Cotton blend and I found it worked very well as a substitute for Lustersheen.

Really?! I have a ton of patterns using Plymouth Wildfower DK but none of that yarn. I have a ton of Lustersheen but only a few patterns. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend!?:cheer

I agree about trying Cool Crochet. Some Wal-Marts don't carry it though. My big, new one doesn't.

I agree about trying Senso, too. Although I can only find it at Hobby Lobby and Hancock. My Hancock Fabrics closed though.

Someone said Paton's Grace. Not at Wal-Mart. It is at Michael's and Joanns. You might try Lionbrand Microspun instead. It's at both those places and at Wal-Mart. Plus it's machine washable.

No stores carries it anymore. (Darn)

Hobby Lobby carries it. HL isn't everywhere though.

Some Joann's carries it.

:)

I love Microspun because it's so soft and has nice drape, but it tends to split. It's a bit thicker than Lustersheen, which is also fairly tightly woven by comparison. Symphony is similar, but I have never tried it. The old Lion Cotton-Ease might work. I haven't seen the new version anywhere.

Archived