(Yucky) New Thread

Krakovianka

It all started when I was browsing on ebay. I really shouldn't do that, because shipping is too much for most things, and now that rates have gone up--hoo boy!

Anyway, I bid on and won a lot of thread--14 balls of size 30 in six different colors. The thread wasn't too expensive, but I paid a bundle for shipping, and won't be doing that again. So, the thread arrives in a timely fashion, and I discover that my thread is just plain...yucky.

It's 100% cotton, and the colors are pretty, but that is ALL that can be said for it. It's coarse, loosely woven, not mercerized, and entirely without sheen. It's also very light, lacking body or stiffness. I started to make a doily with it, but decided not to continue. This stuff just isn't high quality enough to make lace--it's a waste of time.

Did I mention that I have 14 balls, size 30, about 450 yards each?

And that I kind of paid too much money for this purchase after shipping is figured in?

While pondering what to do about this mess, I remembered the squiggly potholder. Hmm...this stuff might work for something a little more utilitarian than a doily, and if I hold two strands together...

And it works! I'm about halfway finished with a squiggly potholder, and holding two strands together gives me lots of options for color combinations. The unfinished cotton will be absorbent and much more appropriate for kitchen articles than for doilies. I also held three strands together and crocheted a dishcloth, which I'm now testing for durability.

Oh, holding two and three strands together just eats up the thread, too. Yay! It won't be a total loss, and the squiggly potholders will make super-cute gifts.

It's a save!

I'm thinking the whole squiggly potholder thing would make a fun crochet-along, so I'm going to post over there and see if anyone is interested. You could make them with either yarn or thread, and it could be used as a way of using up bits of leftover colors, too.

And if you ever have the chance to buy "Grandma's Best" crochet cotton in "Antique Finish"--don't bother.

It's 100% cotton, and the colors are pretty, but that is ALL that can be said for it. It's coarse, loosely woven, not mercerized, and entirely without sheen.

This is the way the new traditions is also, not mercerized.......I ordered 16 balls from Herrshners and it is going back, the website still says mercerized but the balls of thread don't....it is Yucky.....they keep argueing with me and saying it is the same...NOT!!!!

I am glad you found a way to use yours, I wanted tomake a tablecloth with mine and I won't use this crappy theard to do it...

Archived