Felting with Cache... lots o' questions!

yarn_monkey

Hi all! I've never felted anything, so I need some help here! :) I have 4 balls of Moda Dea cache and I found out I can felt it (I never red the label, just bought it lol). If I'm making a purse, how much bigger (than size I want when finished) should it be before I felt it? If I make a Fat Bottom Bag with it, will it come out big enough to felt down to the right size, since it's a bulky weight yarn? Help me help me!! :D

You should crochet it with a bigger hook (I usually use an L hook, but you might need to use an N hook with bulky yarn). It will probably shrink by about 1/3 to 1/2, so you have to make it quite a lot bigger.... Your best bet would be to make a swatch (or several with different size hooks), measure it, then toss it in the washer with your next load and see how much it shrinks.

I did a bag with Cache and Patons Merino shown in this thread

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=822320#post822320

hope this helps answer some of your question.

The cache did not felt as much as the Patons. The patons shrank by about 1/3. I'd say the Cache shrank by about 1/4.

Hee... :blush I just asked you a question over there that I totally could have asked you here... It's been a long day! :D You can answer over here if you want lol.

Hee... :blush I just asked you a question over there that I totally could have asked you here... It's been a long day! :D You can answer over here if you want lol.

LOL I answered you over there, I hope it's helpful.

THe thing to remember when felting is don't get all caught up on a pattern or gauge or being too ridged.

It is a very fly by the seat of your pants technique. 5 people can crochet the same bag using the same pattern and yarn and all 5 will turn out differently because the yarn will have a mind of it's own.

The blocking process is really what gives you your final shape and size, your are just setting up the structure loosly when you crochet it.

Another thing to keep in mind with felting ... if you check it regularly while you are washing it, you can kind of control how much it felts. When you think it is small enough, take it out and shape it. Too big when the washer is done? Wash it again ... and I agree with AngieinCA ... felting is hard to get gauge perfect anyways ... I say, swatch and felt, measuring shrinkage. Then estimate how big your bag should be ... and then just jump in and try!

Moda Dea cache and I found out I can felt it (I never red the label, just bought it lol). :D

I use this all the time. I love the way it felts up. I have mixed it with other yarns and have not had a problem with it. Yes it does felt past the stitches.

On my web site in the hand bag area, "spring fields", "hippy bag" are made with Cache and other types of yarns too.

Hope you have fun using it.

Archived