Positively Crochet! new book published

Mary Jane

Hi everyone,

I've been a member of Crochetville for over a year now and have thoroughly enjoyed being here. It's fun to see all the unique things people have made and it's a great feeling knowing others have the same passion for crochet that I do.

I've had many patterns published in books and magazines over the past 2 years (including 2 Leisure Arts booklets called Crochet in Style and Crochet Young and Trendy) and am so happy to say that my real book is finally finished! It's called Positively Crochet! and is now available for pre-order on Amazon and many other websites such as Overstock.com, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Books and Co. etc. Here's the link at Amazon so you can see the front cover of the book: (by the way, my 16 yr. old pattern tester made the sweater on the front cover with no problems)

http://www.amazon.com/Positively-Crochet-Fashionable-Projects-Inspirational/dp/0896895173/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0023131-4699225?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182356787&sr=1-1

Just so you'll know a little about Positively Crochet, it is chock full of easy-intermediate, unique patterns - 50 in all. Most crochet books of today have anywhere from 20-30 projects and it was important to me to put as many designs in the book as possible, and I also asked the publisher to set the price as low as possible so you, the consumer could afford to buy it. The retail price is $22.95, but is available at Amazon and Overstock.com for around $15.00, which makes me happy. Projects in the book include summer tops, sweaters, long lacy tunic, shrugs, boleros, scarves, hats, purses, tote bag, iPod case, jewelry (rings, bracelets, necklaces, watch) capelets, arm warmers, slippers, belts, a vest and a skirt overlay - for the person who wants to make a skirt but doesn't have the time it takes. There are 3 felted items, lacy projects, open weave, closed weave items, textured, 3-D, and some dangling crochet. You'll also find 2 mother/daughter projects, as well as some retro and runway inspired projects. I've tried to create some trendy, but classy wearables that you'll be proud to wear or give as gifts! (many are quick) I've included women's sizes from extra small up to size 3X. Most of the yarns used are readily available, and with the more expensive specialty yarns I give another brand as a substitute yarn. (yarn weights too - such as # 2-sport wt, # 3-light worsted wt, # 4-med worsted wt, # 5-bulky and # 6-super bulky wt)

Some designs that I hope you'll find unique are a "Coffee Lover's Scarf", "Purse Lover's Scarf", little "Purse Key Chain", Granny Square Skull Cap with 3 long funky braids on each side to wrap around your neck as a scarf, a "snood" (which can be worn by anyone but especially for the person who has dreadlocks) a "Double Breasted Jacket Purse". (Plus many more!) I guess you can say I'm excited about the new and unique designs :) When I was at the photo shoot, the mother of one of the professional models commented about the summer top she was wearing and said, "That looks like something that would come out of Victoria's Secret magazine!" (very flattering)

Another thing I'm excited about is that not only are there 50 patterns , but I give positive, encouraging tips on life and relate that to crochet. There is a small paragraph on each pattern page called "Encouraging Tip", and I hope they will be powerful and meaningful to you in your everyday life. I told my publisher I want people to have the "warm fuzzies" after reading this book. My husband is a counselor and has traveled all over this country presenting his "Yes You Can", positive living type of seminar, and I have learned a lot from him over the years. I too, have spoken to many women's groups on marriage, children, and other relationships, and just felt the urge to share some of the positive principles I have learned that will help make your life better.

The items in this book are actually wearable, not weird. (although there are some funky things included) The skill levels are Beginner, Advanced Beginner and some Intermediate. Even the projects that look difficult are easy. I also have to say that people of all ages will find something they like in this book.

My publisher Krause Publications (a division of F & W Publications) has been wonderful to work with and I just can't say enough good things about them. I recently signed a contract for another major crochet book with them which will be released next summer 08'. All I can say about that one is that it's a new method of crocheting for easy crochet wearables and accessories and we are very excited about it!

Mary Jane Hall

http://www.mjcrochet.com/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - I also love the sweater on the cover - It's hard to find sweaters that look as good crocheted as some the the knit ones I wish I could make. I'll definitely check this out, congratulations!!

What an awesome book and I love the sweater on the front cover I would make that in a few colors. You said your 16 yr. old daughter made the sweater? Is she also the one wearing it on the cover? Congrats on your book.

So funny, I had that book bookmarked on Amazon a few days before I saw this post. :) Cracks me up. I bookmarked it because of the front sweater, but probably will wait until I can see it in the store or some more pictures are posted on Amazon. I don't like to base book purchases on one project. Looks promising, though.

You should do one of those descriptions on the Amazon page where it has content from the author. I'm sure people who see it online would love to have as thorough content as you've included in your description above. Will appeal to the person just browsing pattern books.

Congratulations on your book. :cheer It looks wonderful and all I can say is that I gotta get it. That is based on your description of what is in the book and the beautiful sweater on the cover.

That is very exciting and the patterns sound wonderful. I've been wanting to try some clothing patterns and you make it sound very easy and look very fashionable. I'll definitely be picking up a copy.

I'm always inspired and amazed by everyone on this board. Thanks for all of your hardwork and creativity!

Congratulations!

Congratulations! And thank you for going into detail about your new book.

I like the TIPS idea, it will make for a different kind of crochet book. Very original and very much you should be proud of!

Thanks so much for the congratulations from all of you. I appreciate your encouragement :) Someone asked me if that was my 16 year old daughter on the front cover. Sorry, I guess it may have sounded like the pattern tester was my daughter when I said, "My 16 year old pattern tester". No, that's not my daughter. I used 18 different pattern testers for the designs in my book, and 2 of them were age 16. One of them tested the sweater pattern. As far as the models, my publisher hired professional models from a modeling agency and the photographer did an awesome job. He is world famous and wrote a book on how to pose models.

To the person who suggested that I write my own author description on Amazon, thanks for the tip. I'll do that when I have time. Sorry I can't name everyone of you, but thanks for replying anyway!

Mary Jane

Well I don't know maybe I am silly but I pre-ordered the book. I also pre-ordered Kim Werkers new Crochet Me book. Both look like they have some good stuff in them and judging the books from the covers I should find more than one thing to make in them! Kind of like buying a CD for one song but I want that sweater!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived