My Spiral Doily Progress

The original web page for the doily pattern in Russian basically talks about the different size(s) for the doily pattern if you use an online translator for the page. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me when I first looked at it/read the translation but I think the :idea finally went off for me after I started making the doily/runner. :):hook

According to Google's translation of the page, down towards the bottom of the page beneath the photo of a completed doily/runner, Google translates it as the following:

"1*- Small driver of the 18-series is on the scheme in February. Both sides napkin step width in the two cells. ****** - 21х17 cm.

2*- For any of the tissue variations on the number of rows and the width of the step.

3*- Using less/more than 43 in the series, with the width of steps at 1 or 3 cells will change the size and shape of the spiral napkin.

4*- The number of rows Little napkins (them) and the width of steps (1-2-3) cells are Memphis and will make many similar, but different products of various sizes and destination.

5*- The article used a photograph of the "Journal of the MOU." Handicrafts No. 417. Crochet hook. Embroideries. Model 68. Developed by the author."

[FYI - The number followed by *- is my attempt to show each of the paragraphs/lines on the page below the photo. The ****** is my substitute for the Russian word that Google didn't really translate. I think it's just a name or something for one of the doily/runners followed by the metric size for it (21x17cm) which Google translated as "The see-21h17" *LOL*]

Basically, I think what the above paragraphs/lines are saying is that you can make the doily/runner bigger or smaller, depending on how many rows are done and how many steps (blocks) are created. I think it could be interesting to try making it in some different sizes but I don't know if I'll try it for myself or not yet. Too many WIMs and not enough time to make them in! *LOL*

In my version of the doily/runner that I'm making, it has 43 rows with 1 step/block/segment/cell skipped - I'm not sure how many rows Granny Square did with her version but she skipped what I would call 2 steps/blocks/segments/cells.

I think the completed measurements for the large doily/runner that I'm making are supposed to be 33x67 cm or 13"x26.4". (33 cm = 13 in; 67 cm = 26.4 in) and the smaller circle version in the pic by the runner (the "complimentary" piece) is what is supposed to measure 21х17 cm or 8.3x6.7 inches.

I haven't measured mine to see how it compares to that measurement. (33x67 cm or 13x26.4 inches). When I first started working on the doily/runner, the last thing I was worried/concerned about was the gauge - all I wanted to do was to see if I could actually make that "darn thing." *LOL* I have a big enough dining room table that it can go on, no matter how wide or long it ends up being. (But I don't think I want to make one big/wide enough to cover the whole top of it because it would probably take me longer than what it took for me to make my MIL's crocheted bedspread that she wanted.

As for me, I wish I knew exactly what the "Journal of the MOU" was and what Handicrafts No. 417 refers to - maybe if we knew that, we could actually locate the original pattern or maybe the inspiration for the design of it?!?!? It may be another mathmatical-inspired design or something?

:oops ....almost forgot to say that before anyone thinks that I'm a math whiz or something when it comes to calculating/converting metric to US (or vice versa), I used this free online converter calculator:

http://www.manuelsweb.com/in_cm.htm

If/when I get a chance, I think I might try taking some close-up :photo of where/when I'm doing the joining of/on the runner but am not going to give any promises/guarantees on that. I don't know how good/bad the pics would/will be plus I'm working this week up until Friday (6/22) and then, early Friday a.m., my family and I are headed for Gatlinburg, TN for our yearly family vacation there for 1 wk. By the time we get back home and have our stuff unpacked (and put away I hope *L*), it will be time for my work to start all over again and I don't know yet how busy it will keep me until the 1st of July when I get my new work assignment(s).

Granny Square, your work looks awesome to me. :cheer:clap I think it's very pretty and the color should go with almost anything. :)

BTW - does anyone have any suggestions/ideas as to how I should write down my notes for what I did for making the doily/runner pattern? Do you think it should it be done as in a .txt file or a .doc or a .pdf or just a web page?!?! I know that I don't want to get into a copyright issues/problems over it either. I've got some of my notes saved in a .doc (Microsoft Word) file right now.

TIA and HTH!

The version I made was supposed to have 43 rows like yours, but I ended up with 41 because of a, er, miscalculation :think at the beginning of the first motif so I made the second to match.

To reproduce the doily I made without my boo-boo:

row 2 - 40 ch-1 spaces (closed center circle)

row 4 - 39 ch-2 spaces (the circle is now open), 1 space decreased

row 6 - 38 ch-2 spaces, 1 space decreased

row 8 - 36 ch-3 spaces, 2 spaces decreased.

decrease 2 spaces/segments each even row, row 40 should end up with 2 spaces.

It'll be interesting to see how big yours is, assuming our gauge is the same it should be about 8-9" longer and wider than mine, I think. The 'center seam' should be the same length (plus my 2-row shortfall). But, my version tapers off much faster and is 'skinnier'; the big doily is much rounder.

After trying to decipher the google and babelfish translations (February? Memphis?), I gave up on the words and focused on the charts and photos. I guess it didn't occur to me that they would show a photo of one variation and chart another.:eek

It's nice to have this forum to bounce ideas around and help the light bulbs go off! My switch was a little rusty on this one...

As far as the pattern, just a thought but not everyone has MS Word or Adobe Acrobat. I think you might be OK with the copyright if you refer back to the original web page and say this is your interpretation of the chart...as long as that web page stays up.

Have a nice time on your vacation! Hope you're taking your hooks with you!

As far as the pattern, just a thought but not everyone has MS Word or Adobe Acrobat. I think you might be OK with the copyright if you refer back to the original web page and say this is your interpretation of the chart...as long as that web page stays up.

Have a nice time on your vacation! Hope you're taking your hooks with you!

So you think it should be done as a web page or a .txt file/page? I know I've gotten more than 1 e-mail asking me for the pattern for the doily if/when I got it figured out. I think most of the e-mails were from people who didn't/don't know how to read crochet graphs/symbol crochet.

My hooks are definitely going with me :hook (have hook, will travel *LOL*) - I'm hoping to finish up the spiral doily while on vacation and may try making (or at least starting to make) a couple of other versions of it in some different colors/threads/yarns including variegated! Pics of the WIP/completed spiral doily will probably have to wait to be posted until I get back from vacation though.

My laptop will also be going on vacation with us so hopefully I should be online at times while on vacation - just don't know exactly when or for how long though. *LOL* Plus my dd and ds (and maybe my dh) will be using my laptop to check their e-mail/msgs as well.

If there's anyone in Crochetville that's around Gatlinburg, TN who wants to meet up, please send me a PM or e-mail me. Probably can do it sometime between 6/23 and 6/28 if anyone's interested?

I tried an experiment with a tiny striped spiral, I put it under thread show-and-tell. IMHO I think it looks better in one color (one thread, varigated would look pretty I think) because of the way you have to 'work over' the second color, instead of the same color, in the second motif.

• 2 weeks later...

Yippeee!!!!! :jumpyay I finally have my spiral doily done - just have a few ends to weave in, wash and block it, etc. and take some pics of it! It would have been done a lot sooner except for my work interfering with my crocheting time as well as our family vacation! *LOL*

I'm busy working this wk so I don't know how soon it will be ready to make its first/completed debut. *LOL* Hopefully I can have it ready sometime tomorrow since I have the 4th off because of it being a holiday but not making any promises.

JIC anyone is still interested, I did manage to post some of my notes for making the Spiral Doily on this new page at my site:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cinnaminn_s/myspiraldoilynotes.html which can be found as a link from my crafts page:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cinnaminn_s/mycrafts1.html

Consider the notes as a WIP since they haven't been tested by anyone (including me!) *LOL* I only wrote down what I was doing while making the 1st solid blue version of it and am in the process of making another one using a different brand/color of crochet thread. :)

Archived