My Spiral Doily Progress

Well, I've finally finished the 1st of 2 circles for the Spiral Doily pattern from the Russian site. :) Have already started on the 2nd circle for it.

I hope to be adding some more photos of my progress for the doily at my site on this page:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cinnaminn_s/mycrafts1.html

I think the "fun" will come when I have both circles completed and have to figure out how to join them. *L*

I was was making this doily also, after reading the other thread regarding locating & translating the pattern.

You're not going to like this....I was nearly done with the first half yesterday, when I realized that the diagram was WRONG. :eek

Look at the photo (of the finished doily; the finished pic from the first post of the other thread is even clearer). The spiral decreases by TWO segments each row, until you have only two segments in the last row. The diagram has you only decreasing by ONE segment each row, leaving you with 18 segments in the last row. The in-process photos follow the diagram which doesn't help.

Mumble, mumble, rip rip.

The good news is, because the rows get shorter quicker, the pattern goes quicker the second time around.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought I'd catch you before you got too much farther...:(

Granny Square

I belive that you might be referring to the small one that they refer to as a napkin:( it decrease two times but if you look at the one that has both circles connected it only decrease one time every row I have been knowed to be wrong so if I am please forgive me

:yarn

I'm waiting until I have both "circles" done before I worry about joining them together or figuring how the pattern is supposed to go. I figure that the 3rd diagram/graph/chart for the pattern may make more sense to me then once the 2 circles are done. *LOL*

I really want to try this pattern, too, but I couldn't find the kind of color I wanted when I was at the store (I'm thinking something autumny--deep gold or rust, or even brown). My "ears" are perked to here how your joining goes...

Looks great so far!

Incidentally...I suspect Polish and Russian are similar in this way: we have the word "serwetka"--like "serviette"--which can be translated as "napkin," BUT we use the same word for a doily or small table mat, like a placemat.

I can't hardly even read the first diagram. Do you make that diagram twice, and then join?

Sonnet and Stitches

That is what I plan on doing if I ever get it done I have to much wip going at this time

You can see what I have doneon mine in my photo bucket

Dorothy

I've been doing some more thinking about the pattern for the Spiral Doily and am in the process of doing something a little different than what I previously said. :idea I'm not making the 2nd circle from the diagram that has 17 rows, I'm making another circle of the 1st one with 43 rows and am trying to do the joining of it to the 1st one I made as I go along.

Will try to post more once I see if my change in plans is successful or not. I'm busy with work this wk so unfortunately don't have as much time for crocheting as I would like to have. :(

I've been doing some more thinking about the pattern for the Spiral Doily and am in the process of doing something a little different than what I previously said. :idea I'm not making the 2nd circle from the diagram that has 17 rows, I'm making another circle of the 1st one with 43 rows and am trying to do the joining of it to the 1st one I made as I go along.

Will try to post more once I see if my change in plans is successful or not. I'm busy with work this wk so unfortunately don't have as much time for crocheting as I would like to have. :(

I think that's more along the lines of what the pattern has in mind. I've been looking at the photos and the charts, and there just isn't a way that the 17-rower is going to fit onto the 43 rower. I think it's a separate piece meant to complement the larger doiley.

Yep, I agree with Sonnets & Stitches, I believe the smaller 17 row doily (fig 2) is meant to be a smaller 'side' doily. It shows it alongside the big spiral doily in the completed picture.

Check out Celt's site, there are a lot of dresser or cheval sets that have a center big doily and a smaller coordinating doily on each side.

I will try to figure out how to post a picture ... gotta find the camera first :think I've re-done the first half and am about a third of the way done with the second. I wish I'd chosen a more dramatic color, mine is ecru and it looks so much better in the pattern's red or Cinnaminn's country blue :sigh

I think that's more along the lines of what the pattern has in mind. I've been looking at the photos and the charts, and there just isn't a way that the 17-rower is going to fit onto the 43 rower. I think it's a separate piece meant to complement the larger doiley.

I think that it's either meant to be a separate piece or a part of the pattern for a small(er) doily/table runner. If you use Google's language translator [http://www.google.com/language_tools] (it's not perfect but better than Babelfish, IMO), I think the written page is telling how to make a large or smaller version of the spiral doily. You make one circle first and then it's while you're making the 2nd one, you join it to the 1st one starting at/around row 5.

I've also gotten some help in translating the pages from a couple of different people besides Google's translation so between those things/translations, I'm trying to get it better figured out in my mind at least and can't wait to have the time to try out my idea(s). *LOL*

Will try to post later today/tonight after I get back home from work. I stopped home for a quick break and couldn't resist checking my mail and for any posts here to see the response(s). *L*

I updated my crafts page with a few more photos along with some more information. I think that I'm finally on the right "trail" for making the 2nd part of the doily. :hook:woo:jumpyay

spiraldoilywip4tn.jpg

What do you think?!?!?

Are you joining as you go? That is a fantastic idea, and I think it looks good so far. Can't wait to see it finished and blocked. It's a great design and I admire your tenacity in figuring it out. I've got to find some good thread for this design...

Yes, I'm joining as I'm working on the 2nd circle - I think the joining is done with a slip stitch at the top of the dc in the 1st circle (which is upside down as you're working on the 2nd circle), ch 1 and then do another slip stitch in the bottom of the same dc you did the 1st slip stitch in - does that makes sense to anyone else besides me? *L* It's much easier to do than to try to write it down!

The joining is done on the straight edge of the first circle so hopefully I'll end up with the doily/table runner looking something like mirror images.

I've just finished mine. This is my first try with photobucket, I hope this works:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb272/grannysquare/SpiralDoily.jpg

I made mine in two halves and sewed together - I have to say that I agree with you that joining-as-you go is the way to do it, my seam is not TOO glaring but it is there.

Also, to amend what I said in earlier post -- the FIRST TWO decreases (rows 4 & 6) should be 1 segment, the rest should be two segments. This leaves a better space for joining, and follows the pattern photo. (Because I didn't do it this way, I joined 1 row back from where it was supposed to, to avoid overlap. In hindsight it might have worked out, but..oh well.)

This is a fun and fairly easy & quick doily for its size (roughly 13"x23") - once you work around the problem with the chart! I wonder what it would look like in stripes...maybe Christmas colors? Oooh...

Wow, that looks so cool! I can just see how that would look on my mother's table . . . Man, I think I want to make one! I've never made a doiley before, but I'm not afraid of using charts. Would you say this one was difficult?

~ Joy

Congratulations, Granny Square! :cheer:clap

Your work looks great! :)

My doily will be a bit different than yours and probably bigger/larger because of the pattern I used. I think yours is the small doily/runner like the one on this page.

Yes, I'm joining as I'm working on the 2nd circle - I think the joining is done with a slip stitch at the top of the dc in the 1st circle (which is upside down as you're working on the 2nd circle), ch 1 and then do another slip stitch in the bottom of the same dc you did the 1st slip stitch in - does that makes sense to anyone else besides me? *L* It's much easier to do than to try to write it down!

I think I screwed up when I posted about the joining as I described it above - I think it should be done in the chain sts on the straight side and not the dc sts if you look at the 3rd diagram for the pattern. Sorry about that!

Why thank you (blush):blush

I thought this was the small doily?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb272/grannysquare/redsalfetka-2.jpg

Interesting, if you count the rows on the photo there are 23, and if fig 2 is supposed to be the small doily it only shows the first 17 rows. Heavens, at nearly 2 feet wide mine is plenty big for my dresser top :lol

Sonnets, I think this is a relatively easy pattern, once the chart irregularities are ironed out. Basically, the even rows are DC, some chains, DC, repeat, stopping short 1 or 2 sections from the end of the row before. The odd rows are just DC in each DC and chain.

I think the hardest (confusing, akward?) part might be the bit that Cinnaminn is doing now, joining the second piece as you go, upside down and at the end of the first piece. I cheated and made a seam, but I think it would look better the other way.

I finally got it. Duh.

The 'big' doily of fig 1 has no photo in the pattern.

The largest doily photographed in the pattern (the one I made) has no chart.

Figure 2 covers 17 out of 23 rows of the smallest completed doily shown in photo.

I thought because fig 1 didn't match the photo it wouldn't look right, but I pasted & photo-edited the two halves together, it's going to be gorgeous. I'm sorry I ripped mine out to do the other, oh well. I'm looking forward to seeing Cheryl's when it's done!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb272/grannysquare/largespiralfig.jpg

So Joy, forget what I said about the chart being wrong, the version I did is just not charted all in one place. You need to use parts of fig 1 & 2. Start with fig 2 and follow the decreases on the LEFT side only (keeping right side straight like fig 1), then use fig 1 for row 18-43 for the stitch count (but decrease 2 segments every even row). You should have two segments in the last row. Or, if you'd like, I've written it out & can sent it to you.

Archived