Sending A Doily

xantha

How do you ship a (larger) doily to someone? Flat in a folder and then in one of those large envelopes? Or some other way? I'm not sure of the best way and I have a couple to make that I am going to need to mail off. I'm guessing flat in a book or folder or something....

Jess, I get big pieces of cardboard, two of them, and sandwich them together. It goes like this :wink:

cardboard

bubble wrap

doily(ies)

bubble wrap

cardboard

packing tape all the way around the edges, covering each end completely.

The bubble wrap probably isn't necessary, but it keeps them from sliding around on the cardboard if I haven't taped them together tightly enough. And I like the foam bubblewrap for this, it probably isn't bubble wrap but I don't know what else to call it. I also try to cut the boards so that the corrugation runs east-west in one piece and the other piece north-south. I think it makes it sturdier. It only matters how you cut the cardboard though if it's an oval doily. I cut the board about an inch wider than the diameter of the doily.

Now, all of that to say that cardboard is really easy for me to get my hands on. We ship things out of here all the time and the cardboard I use comes from the boxes that the boxes we ship with come in. If I wasn't able to have easy access to cardboard, I'd probably get a big padded envelope and slide in a piece of cardboard to keep it from folding. And you could use the photo mailers, too, those are pretty rigid.

Can you tell I don't want to fold (or bend) the doilies? :sweat

Depending on the size, you can roll it around an empty paper towel tube along with a layer of white tissue paper and shove in a tube mailer. I suppose you could cut a wrapping paper roll too for larger doilies.

I was the exact same thing as Sharon, lol. I have a few large doilies from my grandmother that I store that way, actually, and it keeps them nice and protects them pretty well.

Archived