Newbie Q. that's probably been asked before - holes at the ends of rows

Bond Girl

Question

Hi everyone,

First of all I'd just like to say sorry if this has been asked before - I've tried to search to find other threads but because I'm not sure of the proper corchet terms I should be using I haven't been very successful and haven't been able to find anything very specific here or elsewhere. :( If this is already answered somewhere else, please just point me in that direction! ;)

So my problem is that I'm trying to crochet a little scarf for one of my amigurumi creations, but this is my first attempt at non-amigurumi crochet, and it seems that holes are appearing at the ends of the rows:

Crochetscarf.jpg

I thought I was following the instructions in the book I'm using correctly, and I've got my mum to help me but although she does some crochet isn't sure what's going on here. I am just trying to do rows of single crochet stitches (I think!) so does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Or is this meant to happen and it's just noticeable because it's such a small project?

Sorry for the long post but thanks so much if you can help me out! ;)

7 answers to this question

Well I don't know a whole lot about crochet but I can tell you, that's not correct:) heh...Ehm...the only thing I can think of is you're not crocheting your last stitch of the row properly or you're not finishing out and chaining one before beginning your next row. If you want...You can type out part of the pattern or I can just do a few single crochet lines for you on video and you might be able to see what's going on...if you still have questions..feel free to ask and I"ll send you a video of how to do it:)

:cheer Don't lose faith...it's just a minor setback..can be easily fixed!

Hi everyone,

First of all I'd just like to say sorry if this has been asked before - I've tried to search to find other threads but because I'm not sure of the proper corchet terms I should be using I haven't been very successful and haven't been able to find anything very specific here or elsewhere. :( If this is already answered somewhere else, please just point me in that direction! ;)

So my problem is that I'm trying to crochet a little scarf for one of my amigurumi creations, but this is my first attempt at non-amigurumi crochet, and it seems that holes are appearing at the ends of the rows:

Crochetscarf.jpg

I thought I was following the instructions in the book I'm using correctly, and I've got my mum to help me but although she does some crochet isn't sure what's going on here. I am just trying to do rows of single crochet stitches (I think!) so does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Or is this meant to happen and it's just noticeable because it's such a small project?

Sorry for the long post but thanks so much if you can help me out! ;)

Thanks for your quick reply!

I'm not actually following a pattern (which may be part of the problem lol) but I'm just following the basic instructions to do rows of single crochets in one of my mum's needlecrafting books.

I will have another look at it with her and try and see if I'm missing something, and then let you know. I was having problems with the rows getting shorter, but I worked out that was because I wasn't doing enough chains on the end, you know, to go up to the next row (sorry I really don't know the terminology here!!) So, I must just be looking over something else...

Especially with SC, it is best to just ch 1(turn) and make your first sc in the very first stitch. you will get a neater product and avoid those holes because a chain stitch (or two) will never have the same heft as a fully made stitch.

ch 1 for a sc and ch2 for a dc in your turning chain. It'll get rid of the space.

To get rid of the holes on the end - catch 2 loops (intead of 1) to give it enough strength to hold it in place.

You're doing great - these are more like 'tips of the trade' than die hard rules.

Try it again and post a pic so we can see how great it's going to look.

Yeah for sc you always chain 1 and then sc in every stitch but not the ch1. When you hdc or dc I normally ch 2 but many ch3 for dc (I find ch2 leaves less of a gap). If it says that the ch 2 or 3 counts as a stitch then you skip the first stitch and at the end you stitch in the last chain on the turning chain. If the turning chain is not a stitch then you stitch in every stitch but don't put a stitch in the turning chain. Just make sure you count every row and then keep doing the same thing for each row and it normally turns out.:hook I learned by crocheting in the round and the turning chains threw me too when I went to flat crochet.

I am using North American terms by the way not UK or AUS terms.

so:

sc is dc

hdc is htc

dc is tr

Rachel

This doesn't apply to sc, and might be a bit daunting to a newbie but FYI there is a 'link' technique for taller stitches (doubles, trebles) which eliminates the holes.

http://www.crochetnmore.com/123basics.htm

The above link describes the technique (scroll down about halfway), and has another link which shows an illustration for the triple, but it's the same idea for the double. Basically, instead of YO first, you snag a loop of the chain, pull a loop through, then complete the stitch. This 'sews together' the turning chain and the first stitch: voila, no hole.

Archived