Felting Instructions for beginners

cherokee

I wish there was some instructions posted here at the top of the page for beginners like me to refer to when starting a first time felting project. You know the way some forums have a FAQ's, rules/reguations, etc.... at the top of the forum page that is there all the time? A Instruction posting that would be there at the top all the time would be wonderful so that beginners like me does not have to search and search for instructions.

Just an idea as I am trying to figure out what all I need to do to felt my purse today.:(

i love felting, I was given a big bag of yarn, non of it had any lables so i wasnt sure what would felt and what wouldnt, I ended up making lots of little coin purses, put them in a 60% wash and they came out great! ( some of them didnt as the yarn wasnt 100% wool, never mind!) its fun waiting for the wash cycle to finish!

I've felted dozens of purses using both purchased and handspun yarns. One thing I do is put whatever I'm felting in a zippered pillowcase so I don't get any "fuzzies" in my septic system! Be sure to use the hottest water possible and check your piece often as some yarns felt more quickly than others. Let us know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to make a felted scarf. Due to the shrinkage, I need some advice as to how wide and how long to make it. I was thinking of using a mindless stitch like hdc.

Any advice? Oh, and I like longish scarves.

Thanks!!!!!:) :) :)

I learned to felt with this pattern http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=25226&categoryid=29

I bet it'll work for you too!:hook

THis is the same one I used when I first attempted felting. I haven't had a problem yet.

The only differance is that I block the item over a box or books or coffee cans covered in plastic shopping bags to achieve the form I want.

I'd love to make a felted scarf. Due to the shrinkage, I need some advice as to how wide and how long to make it. I was thinking of using a mindless stitch like hdc.

Any advice? Oh, and I like longish scarves.

Thanks!!!!!:) :) :)

I usually figure it's going to shirink by about 1/3rd the original size. When felting fancy stitches won't show up in the final product, hdc works the best, but you can do popcorn stitches and open work that will give texture and definition to the final product.

Archived